Author Topic: A question that has nagged me...  (Read 3126 times)

LennySchneider

• New to the Neighborhood
A question that has nagged me...
« on: January 11, 2014, 09:27:33 PM »
Hello,

Look, I loved the show as a kid, I think Fred Rogers was truly a gift to the world, and I'm glad this website and attached forum exist.  That being said, I'm not a mega-fan of the show now, and I doubt you'll see much of me.  I simply want a question answered that...  Well, as a child it bothered me subconsciously, and now it's at the front of my head and really, really riding me.  Quite simply:

Where was Mr. Rogers coming home from?

I mean, think of the beginning of the show.  He comes into his "house," puts on his sweater, and changes his shoes.  Where has he been all day?  What's he been doing?  Did he have a job?

(It also bugged me later in life that he always kept his tie snugged up.  Dude, you're at home, loosen the noose!  That's just my thing, though.)

So yeah, seriously: where was he arriving home from?  Who knows, maybe in all the years the show was on, they never once touched on the subject.  Be kind of weird not to, though.

Someone please respond!  Thank you.

earnhardtfan4life

• Make-Believe Neighbor
Re: A question that has nagged me...
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 10:56:05 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Lenny. 

His "tv house" was his job.  Therefore after he sings Good Feeling, he essentially is going back to his home.  When he was ordained a minister he was given the calling title of administering the gospel to children.  The church didn't have the funds for a television program at the time therefore he had to seek out other means to do it.  Fred came from an extremely well to do family and I think probably he was set for life.  Another reason why there will never be another Fred Rogers again.  During the pre-1979 era he often said in front of the camera - that he really liked doing tv programs for children.   

That does bring up a valid point where did the idea of a tv house come from? 

Hope this helps some.

Mike

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 11:25:49 AM »
I actually always had the opposite interpretation (not that yours is wrong by any means), that he was representing a father coming home from work at the end of the day, and changing into more casual clothes, as men like to do when they come home from work.

As for Fred keeping his tie on: first of all, dress was more formal back then.  I think it was more common for men to wear a tie even at home, and for women to wear dresses even when home.  Secondly, I think that he just wanted to save time; if he removed his tie at the begining of the episode, he'd have to put it back on at the end of the episode, which would take up time that could be used for other things.

Neighborhood Archive

• Administrator
  • Make-Believe Neighbor
    • The Neighborhood Archive
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 06:14:21 PM »
The understanding I've always had has been a combination of both responses so far. He was coming from work (presumably at the large building seen at the beginning of each episode) and returns to work as he leaves the television house. This is why he's always dressed formally -- he's coming from work and taking a break to be with his television neighbors.

This is actually addressed in the "Dear Mister Rogers" book in a response regarding the bathroom. Fred writes:

"We don't often show the bathroom of our television set because that is not my real house. I think of it as my "television house." That is a place where I stop by during my workday to have a television visit with my friends."