Author Topic: Show 1131  (Read 6269 times)

JCostaThePro

• Westwood Neighbor
Show 1131
« on: November 20, 2013, 08:42:11 PM »
Wow, it looks like this episode also still has the NET building in the model neighborhood, even though this is the first PBS episode (PBS just broadcasted a few months earlier). Also, the notes say that Rogers mentioned that "over the weekend [he and some friends] came over [to the TV house] and did a little painting." That must explain why this is also the first week to feature the ecru or "beige" walls and no wainscotting. Rogers didn't mention anything about the wainscotting's removal, did he?

MrRogers143

• Westwood Neighbor
Re: Show 1131
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 09:30:41 PM »
I'm actually wondering something too. If they didn't have the "Mister Rogers' Neighborhood" logo at the beginning of this episode, what happened in the first scene?
Steven Simmons
   [Trolley]
[bdbdbdbd]
    o      o

bjdwsm

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 09:36:51 PM »
I take it that the pan over the model neighborhood would have been newly shot as opposed to reusing a 1970 season opening (Chen and Silberman had different styles for the opening/closing pans).

MisterRogersFan15

• New to the Neighborhood
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 12:18:45 AM »
Is there any chance we can see a few more screenshots of this episode?  Possibly of the opening.  I'm really interesting in seeing how the sweater arrangement was in the closet.  I have been dying to see how this episode looked for quite some time!

mjb1124

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 12:39:45 AM »
I guess Mister Rogers figured that "painting" was a good enough explanation to the viewers about the set change, even though there were more changes than just the color of the walls.

And yeah, I'd be interested in knowing more about the opening as well.    Were there funding credits?   And was the NET building in the opening too?  Might seem like a dumb question, but I know there were some episodes in 1972 (for example) that had different buildings in the opening and closing.

Neighborhood Archive

• Administrator
  • Make-Believe Neighbor
    • The Neighborhood Archive
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 07:00:05 AM »
Here's what I can tell you about the opening and closing...

* The NET building is present in both the opening and closing.
* The opening pan through the neighborhood is the same as always with the exception of the fact that it never shows the text "Mister Rogers' Neighborhood" at any point.
* During the episode, the only explanation that is given for any and all changes to the set is Mister Rogers' quick comment when he arrives about having painted over the weekend with some friends.
* The closing begins with the outward pan of the Neighborhood and the voice-over: "Mister Rogers' Neighborhood is made possible by grants from the Sears Roebuck Foundation and The Corporation for Public Broadcasting." This voice-over is heard as the 'new' "Mister Rogers' Neighborhood" logo appears on the screen.
* Any credits seen on the screen in text form are what is shown on the Archive site.

Hopefully this clears up some of your questions...

mjb1124

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 09:19:29 AM »
That answers all of my questions for now.   Thanks Tim!

I'll definitely be curious to see how the opening/closing evolves for the first two weeks or so of 1971.

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 11:08:44 AM »
It's also interesting that this episode (and the first few weeks of the 1971 season) have a 1970 copyright date.

Ivoryface86

• New to the Neighborhood
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 05:38:38 PM »
And this was the production code that appeared in "I Love the '70s: 1970" episode as well, and was also the first time we hear Elliott A. Daley doing the fundings.

Neighborhood Archive

• Administrator
  • Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, 06:16:39 PM »
And this was the production code that appeared in "I Love the '70s: 1970" episode as well, and was also the first time we hear Elliott A. Daley doing the fundings.

I haven't seen those VH1 specials in several years. Thanks for giving me a reason to track them down!

pastorscott

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2013, 08:31:42 PM »
Since it seems to me that 1131 is a pivotal transition point (because of the house change and the logo change), I'm wondering if Tim would be able to summarize any observations he's witnessed from watching 1001-1130.  By "observations," I mean observations of how Fred changed over those 1130 episodes...his demeanor...his style...the professionalism of the television production, etc.  Did the show become more structured by 1131?  Just wondering if Tim has observed any general trends.

Additionally, Tim, is it possible to take pictures of the model neighborhood from three perspectives:  the beginning, while the camera pans down (where you see the NET building or later substitute and the blue/green/and yellow buildings); the middle of the layout, a V shaped corner (before the camera pans up); and then as the camera pans up towards Fred's house.  The reason I ask this is because I think Tim has indicated that he wants to detail the model neighborhood once he's done with the episode summaries.  It would be interesting to see the pictures from these three perspectives and to see how the model layout changed up to 1326.  It seems to me that the buildings at the V shaped corner, before the camera pans up towards the TV house, changed several times from 1131-1326 (as did the NET house and Fred's house).  It would be interesting to compare similar angles throughout the years. 

Neighborhood Archive

• Administrator
  • Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2013, 09:58:10 PM »
Scott -- Let me work on this a bit. I'll see what I can come up with.

pastorscott

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2013, 10:08:22 PM »
Thanks, Tim, for your willingness to summarize some of your observations.