Author Topic: What if...  (Read 5134 times)

DanielTiger

• Southwood Neighbor
What if...
« on: November 06, 2013, 03:36:03 AM »
I was just watching 8 Simple Rules, which changed direction quite a bit after John Ritter's sudden death.  That made me wonder what would have happened if Fred Rogers had died while MRN was still at the height of its popularity.  Say in the 1980's.  Obviously we're all glad that that didn't happen, but what if it had? 

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
Re: What if...
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 05:03:24 PM »
Betty said something about Fred grooming Chuck Aber to continue MRN after Fred retired, but that never happened.  Maybe Chuck would have continued it.  What I wonder is, what would they have done if Betty or David wanted to leave?  David always appeared in costume, so maybe they could have recast him.  But what about Betty?  She'd be harder to replace since she usually looked like her natural self.  Plus, she has a very distinct voice, plus you'd need someone about the same height to reach the puppets.

DanielTiger

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 12:13:17 AM »
If Betty had left (which I'm glad she didn't) Chuck Aber probably would have been given a greater role in the NOMB.  As it was, he interacted with the puppets a fair amount.  I could also see him taking over as the delivery man if David Newell had left, although perhaps you wouldn't want to have him always wearing that outfit. 

JCostaThePro

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 06:54:42 AM »
Just a crazy thought, but if Fred was no longer in control, would FCI/FRC have allowed any famous celebrities come visit the neighborhood? Like on Shelley Duvall's shows Faerie Tale Theater and Tall Tales & Legends? Would they have gotten any A or B names like David Dukes, Ed Asner, Elliot Gould or Edward James Olmos? Or maybe music legends like Paul Simon, Diana Ross or John Denver?

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 12:01:24 PM »
If Betty had left (which I'm glad she didn't) Chuck Aber probably would have been given a greater role in the NOMB.  As it was, he interacted with the puppets a fair amount.  I could also see him taking over as the delivery man if David Newell had left, although perhaps you wouldn't want to have him always wearing that outfit. 

That makes sense.  But I wonder how Fred would have explained Betty's absence.  Any ideas?

On another note: can anyone think of any actresses with a speaking voice similar to Betty, or any singers with a singing voice similar to Betty?  I'd be curious to hear responses from Betty herself if she's still reading here?  As I've said before, I always felt that Betty had a uniquely beautiful voice.

DanielTiger

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 11:02:39 AM »
If Betty had left (which I'm glad she didn't) Chuck Aber probably would have been given a greater role in the NOMB.  As it was, he interacted with the puppets a fair amount.  I could also see him taking over as the delivery man if David Newell had left, although perhaps you wouldn't want to have him always wearing that outfit.  

That makes sense.  But I wonder how Fred would have explained Betty's absence.  Any ideas?

Most likely there would have been no explanation.  She just wouldn't have been on the new episodes.  Now, if David Newell had left and they had a different delivery-person, they might have said that Mr. McFeely was on vacation (they wouldn't say he had retired, because that would be confusing when episodes with him re-aired.)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 11:32:16 AM by DanielTiger »

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 12:12:25 PM »
If Betty had left (which I'm glad she didn't) Chuck Aber probably would have been given a greater role in the NOMB.  As it was, he interacted with the puppets a fair amount.  I could also see him taking over as the delivery man if David Newell had left, although perhaps you wouldn't want to have him always wearing that outfit.  

That makes sense.  But I wonder how Fred would have explained Betty's absence.  Any ideas?

Most likely there would have been no explanation.  She just wouldn't have been on the new episodes.  Now, if David Newell had left and they had a different delivery-person, they might have said that Mr. McFeely was on vacation (they wouldn't say he had retired, because that would be confusing when episodes with him re-aired.)

That could have worked, at least during the era where the episodes no longer aired in order.  When the episodes aired in order, it would have been strange to have so many Betty-less weeks in a row.

Anyone have any thoughts about my other question: any actresses with a speaking voice similar to Betty, or any singers with a singing voice similar to Betty?

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2013, 01:52:11 PM »
I know I'm a nut, but I think that Katy Perry would have been a good fit for Betty's role if MRN began in the 2000s (and if Fred was born 3 or 4 decades later).  Obviously she looks and sounds nothing like Betty, so I'm not suggesting her as a replacement for Betty if Betty wanted to leave MRN.  Katy seems to like children, she has a sweet personality, and I think both her singing and speaking voices would have been a good fit for such a character.  Also, she had operatic training, so she probably could sing in the operas.

Interestingly, Katy Perry's song "By the Grace of God" includes the line "The Truth will set you free", which is also the title of one of Fred's songs (used in the infamous episode 1210, among others).

JCostaThePro

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2013, 03:47:15 PM »

Interestingly, Katy Perry's song "By the Grace of God" includes the line "The Truth will set you free", which is also the title of one of Fred's songs (used in the infamous episode 1210, among others).

It was also sung in Divorce 1480 and (by Chuck Aber) Alike & Different 1583.