Author Topic: When was it on?  (Read 2945 times)

NeighborC

• Southwood Neighbor
When was it on?
« on: July 20, 2011, 09:44:34 AM »
When you were a child, or when your children watched MRN, what time and days did it come on? I well remember as a child, that it was on around 9 or 10 am, only on weekdays. When I was a bit older, I seem to remember it airing very early in the morning, because I would get up before dawn to watch it. It may have aired again later in the morning, but I can't recall. One thing that I noticed was our station was always a day behind and the Friday episode would be shown on Monday, etc.

Dais79

• Southwood Neighbor
Re: When was it on?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 09:48:16 AM »
Our was always on right before lunch- maybe 11 or 11:30?  As a preschooler, I would watch it when my mom was fixing my lunch, and I remember in college at the sorority house we would flip on the TV to watch Days of our Lives and flip past Mister Rogers. . .he had to compete with The Price is Right AND Days during that time slot, which is a pretty tough job, but every once in a while we college students would have a nostalgic moment and watch some MRN!
"You know, I think everybody longs to be loved, and longs to know that he or she is lovable. And, consequently, the greatest thing that we can do is to help somebody know that they're loved and capable of loving."
- Fred Rogers

Lawrence Martin

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 07:26:16 PM »
I remember Mister Rogers neighborhood  at the age  of  four years old  in the mid 80's and it coming on our station about 8am after a hr long  kids show or sometimes it would be two  half hr kids so  then by the early 90's and being eight years old and I  do remember it well in 1991 that  it was on twice a day at 8am and 3pm  of course you could not miss it if you had a VHS player and you knew  that even on thanksgiving week it was on one time every day for that week  some time by the late 90's early 2000 it did a huge shift change and would air at odd time's from 6am to 12:30pm and only one time until 2006 when it was off our station for good after 38 years  that is what I remember from 4 to 23 on the same station for 19 years now I'm glad for Itunes and Amazon and the PBS Kids website and the Fred Rogers company aka Family Communication Inc 
your neighbor
Lawrence
Neighbor Lawrence L Martin :)

earnhardtfan4life

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 10:38:23 PM »
The vast majority of my childhood MRN came on twice a day 8 or 8:30 and 3:00 pm.  In the afternoons it was classic tv.  MRN, Sesame Street, 321 Contact.  All three shows in a row, 5 days a week.  I remember a couple of instances when I was sick where I watched all three in one sitting.  I do remember a time where they ran MRN around 5:30 or 6, because I remember watching Potato Bugs and Cows opera after dinner one night.

Funny story about the timing of MRN.  When I was little and watching MRN in afternoons, during the summer months it would cloud up and get really dark.  Watching the slower paced pre-79s back then would really make you sleepy.  Forget following the story - it's naptime!

Mike

NeighborC

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 02:00:54 PM »
I do seem to remember it airing in the afternoons as well when I was in elementary school. School got out at 2 pm and MRN would come on at 3 pm so I would sometimes watch if I got home in time. I can remember watching an afternoon episode with my mother, it was one that showed people moving a house on picture picture.

Sesame Street was always on in the morning when I was a kid and I watched it too. I think it aired on just before MRN, because MRN was typically the last children's program they would air in the morning, if I recall right. Sesame Street wasn't ever on in the afternoons that I remember, but it did air on Saturdays, typically a rerun of an episode from the preceeding week.

Sesameguy

• New to the Neighborhood
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 09:40:16 PM »
I recall it being on twice a day as well - once at 8 a.m. and again at 4 p.m. (always after Sesame Street and before Electric Company).

pastorscott

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 07:55:40 PM »
Down in central FL, back in the 1980s, MRN came on mid morning (10ish or maybe even 11am) and again at 5pm. Same episode, just repeated twice.