Author Topic: Serious Topics on DTN?  (Read 3822 times)

JCostaThePro

• Westwood Neighbor
Serious Topics on DTN?
« on: September 27, 2013, 09:02:27 PM »
I don't think i ever exactly said yet how i feel about Daniel Tiger's N, have i? Well, me and my family haven't watched alot of episodes, but we've read quite a lot about these episodes on the Archive and so far don't like it.

I agree with Tim that it's great that the show has some elements from the original Neighborhood (Chrissy, a handful of Rogers' original songs, the NOM floor design, ect.), but of course, it's just not as Mr. Rogers-ly as most people are used to. OK, it's bad enough that the show's NOT friendly to older audiences like MRN was (if you remember, MRN was enjoyable to both children AND adults) and that, as Betty Aberlin pointed out, there's no jazz piano music (MRN, from at least 1969-1996, always ended with an awesome jazz-piano number over the credits, courtesy of the great John Costa), but the one thing i think that bothers me most about the show is... why is there not yet any episode that deals with any serious topics? Mr. Rogers did this often on his show. Even Sesame Street, a show that me and my family don't watch anymore, did this on a few occasions (they talked about the death of Mr. Hooper and, even though they failed, tried to discuss divorce).

When is there gonna be an episode that deals with death, divorce, talking to strangers, parental abandonment, arachniphobia (fear of spiders and tarantulas), bullying or smoking (Captain Kangaroo had a segement about how smoking is bad)? Certainly they're at least planning one on death or divorce, since those are topics Rogers (and SS) notably dealt with. I guess war is too sensitive, since Rogers' dealing with of that topic hasn't aired on TV since April 1996. So far, the closest to serious topics they dealt with are potty-training and going to school for the first time, but they aren't as serious.

JAO93

• Southwood Neighbor
Re: Serious Topics on DTN?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 03:15:48 AM »
If any "serious" topics are covered on DTN, I doubt they will go into them very far - a 15 minute solution at best, owing to the show's format.

JCostaThePro

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 02:41:20 PM »
Considering O is implied to be X's nephew and is living with him, it's possible that he's an abandoned child. His dad (or mom) may have died while his mom (or dad) is either drafted in the army (though i said conflict would be too sensitive, so we could rule that out), was on a business trip, in jail, kidnapped or in a mental ward. It's possible. Also, remember not all parental abandonment is caused by divorce and since both his parents are missing, divorce is definately not the case.

BTW, regarding the 15-minute limit: there would typically be two mini-episodes, respectively and both on the same topic. There can't be two sorts with two different topics, espeically if one's serious. Also, since the second season premiered a few months ago, there's been at least two episodes that were 28-minute length as opposed to the 2-episode formula, so it's possible that if a Very Special Episode finally premieres or is even in the planning stages, it'll be one long episode.

JCostaThePro

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 02:47:19 PM »
I wonder what Angela thinks of all this? Does she or the FRC (or Out Of The Blue Productions, whoever is responsible for production and development) have any plans for a very secial episode? I understand it takes alot of research to consider, but it's still not a bad idea to think about it alittle more.