Author Topic: Which Era Do You Prefer?  (Read 4005 times)

earnhardtfan4life

• Make-Believe Neighbor
Which Era Do You Prefer?
« on: July 17, 2011, 04:03:39 PM »
Time to see which side of the fence everyone stands on.  Pre-79 or Post-79? 

I'm going to have to say Pre-79.  I few weeks ago I downloaded my first full length pre-79 episode from Amazon and watched it all the way through.  This was the first full length pre-79 episode I have seen in about 15 years.  As I watched I realized how much more originality each episode had.  Even though we stay inside the 4 walls of the studio from '67 to '76.  I imagine it took a lot more hard work to develop the pre-79 episodes.  As all the sets had to be built -- full size Brockett's Bakery complete with chairs and tables, Elise Neal's workshop, Francois Clemmons Studio, 1976 garage/den episodes, McFeely house, etc.

Mike

Neighborhood Archive

• Administrator
  • Make-Believe Neighbor
    • The Neighborhood Archive
Re: Which Era Do You Prefer?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 07:27:22 PM »
I'm right there with ya, Mike. While I enjoy the modern post-79 episodes, the pre-79s are definitely my favorites. I think this comes from the fact that these were the episodes that I would have seen when I was the appropriate kid age for MRN. I'm a sucker for anything nostalgic that takes me back to my childhood and the classic episodes do just that.

Degeneration X The Owl

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 12:02:40 PM »
Time to see which side of the fence everyone stands on.  Pre-79 or Post-79? 

I'm going to have to say Pre-79.  I few weeks ago I downloaded my first full length pre-79 episode from Amazon and watched it all the way through.  This was the first full length pre-79 episode I have seen in about 15 years.  As I watched I realized how much more originality each episode had.  Even though we stay inside the 4 walls of the studio from '67 to '76.  I imagine it took a lot more hard work to develop the pre-79 episodes.  As all the sets had to be built -- full size Brockett's Bakery complete with chairs and tables, Elise Neal's workshop, Francois Clemmons Studio, 1976 garage/den episodes, McFeely house, etc.

Mike

Exactly, and whatever happened to The Brown Marionette Co.?

Lady_Elaine

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 06:25:30 PM »
I totally agree. There was more originality and diversity in the pre-79 shows. Fred was always visiting Elsie Neal, The Bakery, the McFeelys, or the Browns..After 79, he made more field trips, which was cool, but it seemed like the great cast got less and less visible during the modern era of shows, with the notable exception of Mr. McFeely of course.

MrRogers143

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 07:56:13 PM »
I must say I'm more interested in seeing the episode before "Mister Rogers Goes to School", mainly because I was born in 1993, so I've seen every episode after "Mister Rogers Goes to School."
Steven Simmons
   [Trolley]
[bdbdbdbd]
    o      o

JCostaThePro

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 11:03:56 PM »
I prefer both respectively to be honest.

The pre-79s are awesome, but i love the episodes from the modern era, too. John Costa was still as jazzy in the 1979-1996 era as he was in the older episodes, it's great to see such places as the Pittsburgh aviary, the cake-decorating contest at the mall, the circus, ect., and love Michael Moricz's music in the 1997-2001 episodes. And the guests in both eras...

Many of my favorite episode vary from pre-79 to modern. One of my absolute favorite Neighborhood episodes is in fact from the 1979-2001 run, the circus episode from the Alike & Different week.
Other favorites include the Love episodes (1661-1665), the David Copperfield episode, the Tommy Tune/Sir Thomas T. Tune episodes, Sam Weber visit, the Conflict episodes (1521-1525), Bob Dog falling off the ladder, when they rescued Bob Dog from below a helicopter, ect. Since i don't watch Sesame Street, the Big Bird episode is probably a least favorite, but i love it for the sake of the cake-decorating contest seen earlier in the episode.

Among my favorite pre-79 episodes are the ones where the TV house gets repainted from ecru to beau blue (1326, yes, i finally got to see that episode recently!), death of a goldfish, the harvest festival/Dixie Travelers guest appearance, the Margaret Hamilton episodes, the Professor Scanlon/Mrs. Rogers piano recital episodes (1437-1440; i have never seen 1436 before, though), the dentist & a tooth fairy episode, the like.
I hope to someday get to see 1436, any of the Rainbow For Prince Tuesday episodes (at least 1444 or 1445), the Mabel Mercer episodes, the "uneventful" carnival in NOM episode, the Van C episodes in their entirety, ect.

Me and my family love this show. Especially jazz pianist John Costa and Michael Moricz's input on it!
Happy 45th anniversary to the Neighborhood.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 08:15:42 AM by JCostaThePro »

itsyouilike

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 12:34:23 AM »
I mostly prefer the pre-79 era because it was more free and whimsical.

Erin-T-Aardvark

• New to the Neighborhood
  • Love me, Love My Cat
    • http://www.bitthedusttape.com
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 08:23:32 AM »
I couldn't really say, because I mostly watched the show for the Neighborhood of Make Believe, and I still do. But so far, my favorite NOMB week (let's say) was 1176-1180, which was pre-79. I also liked episode 1483, which I have dubbed "The Big Bird Episode" (Sesame Street is an all time favorite of mine), which was post-79.
"Meow meow, Neighbor!"

MysteryNeighbor

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2013, 07:51:26 AM »
I've seen a handful of the pre-79 shows in my younger days but I was exposed to the post-79 shows a lot! I loved the 'Going to School' episode and still do! :) ;) :D ;D