Author Topic: Some notes about the EEN episodes  (Read 2877 times)

snowpeck

• New to the Neighborhood
Some notes about the EEN episodes
« on: July 21, 2013, 07:13:35 PM »
Scripts for about a third of the 100 EEN episodes are available digitally at the Fred Rogers Center.  I've not looked through all of them yet, so consider this thread a work in progress... but here are some things I've noted so far.  I'll try to find a way to share a few of the scripts.

• Each episode began with the King Friday fanfare and an announcement that the show was presented by the Joseph Horne Co.
  • As seen in the "Creative Person" documentary, the show opens with a camera pan across Misterogers' living room, while the opening logo is on screen.  Misterogers then enters and does his customary change into sweater and sneakers.
  • "Won't You Be My Neighbor" did not appear as the opening song until episode #26. For the first 25 episodes, the show opened with Misterogers singing "What Would You Like to Do Today."
  • Three sets were constructed for this run in the studios at WQED: Misterogers' living room, the kitchen (accessible via a set of dutch doors), and King Friday's throne room.
  • The throne room, which seems to be similar to the throne room seen in later years, allowed guests to interact with King Friday (and occasionally other NOM characters) and also allowed for various performers to visit and do their acts for the king.
  • Visits to King Friday would begin with Misterogers calling or receiving a call from the king via telecan, which was located near the traffic light. The light flashed red when the telecan rang.  Misterogers would then instruct the viewer to help him count to 13 while waiting for the traffic light to turn green. Then the visit with the king would begin.
  • As noted elsewhere, the NOM segments were kinescopes from the CBC run.  They would typically begin with Misterogers looking through his telescope, followed by some interaction with Trolley. Misterogers for some reason would open up the sofa bed at this time.
  • The show closed with Fred singing the "Tomorrow" song, simultaneously while the credits scrolled sideways across the screen.  Some days would feature a separate set of credits for the CBC crew as well as the Pittsburgh crew.

earnhardtfan4life

• Make-Believe Neighbor
Re: Some notes about the EEN episodes
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 08:04:43 PM »
Do we know who played the music?  I'm thinking Costa didn't arrive until the first NET version of MRN.

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 10:14:48 PM »
Thanks for posting that, and I hope that you continue to post whatever info you are able to find.  Again, I'm sorry that we got into an argument earlier in the thread about schedules.  Again, my issue is with FCI, and not with you.

snowpeck

• New to the Neighborhood
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 11:17:07 PM »
Do we know who played the music?  I'm thinking Costa didn't arrive until the first NET version of MRN.

I haven't seen any indication, but if I run across something, I'll post it here.