Author Topic: The "Mandela effect"  (Read 4704 times)

DanielTiger

• Southwood Neighbor
The "Mandela effect"
« on: June 09, 2013, 12:08:06 AM »
The news about Nelson Mandela's health made me think of this.  I haven't experienced anything like that myself, at least nothing so dramatic, but it got me thinking.  Imagine that you see Fred Rogers being interviewed.  He looks older than you had ever seen him.  Then he mentions a very recent news event.  It dawns on you that this is current.  So it must not really be him.  But then they mention the Neighborhood, and appear to be treating him as the very same Fred Rogers, in 2013.  You pinch yourself.  Then you go online to find out what's going on.  You find nothing about Fred's death in 2003, and everything seems to indicate that he's still alive.  

« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 12:09:51 AM by DanielTiger »

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
Re: The "Mandela effect"
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 04:19:04 PM »
The news about Nelson Mandela's health made me think of this.  I haven't experienced anything like that myself, at least nothing so dramatic, but it got me thinking.  Imagine that you see Fred Rogers being interviewed.  He looks older than you had ever seen him.  Then he mentions a very recent news event.  It dawns on you that this is current.  So it must not really be him.  But then they mention the Neighborhood, and appear to be treating him as the very same Fred Rogers, in 2013.  You pinch yourself.  Then you go online to find out what's going on.  You find nothing about Fred's death in 2003, and everything seems to indicate that he's still alive.  

I'm a little confused by what you are saying, to be honest.  Fred definitely died in 2003, and there is a lot of info on the Internet confirming that.  Are you saying this is some sort of conspiracy theory?

DanielTiger

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 05:02:21 PM »
What I mean is, what if you seemingly found yourself in an alternate universe?  That seems to be what has happened with some people in regards to Nelson Mandela.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 07:26:52 PM by DanielTiger »

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 09:41:25 PM »
What I mean is, what if you seemingly found yourself in an alternate universe?  That seems to be what has happened with some people in regards to Nelson Mandela.

I'm still confused, to be honest.  Was there ever a false report that Mandela died in prison?  Or was there maybe someone (maybe with a similar name) who died in prison during a time that Mandela was in the news?  I remember around the time that Mandela was released from prison, there was also a local news story about someone (don't remember the name or why he was in the news) who had a similar name.  I also remember when I was a kid, being confused when Caspar Weinberger was in the news due to the Iran-Contra affair, there was also a local news story about someone with a similar name (maybe Weinberg?) who was in the news for beating his children.  And I would get confused, and wonder what somebody beating up his children had to do with the Iran-Contra affair?

I think I have an idea as to what you are talking about?  There is a water park near where I live that aparently opened in 1991.  The strange thing is that I have no memory of it existing during the 90s; I definitely would have wanted to go there if it existed.  And if you ask anyone from around here when it opened, they will all say around 2001 or so.  And my brother remembers going there during what he thought was the first year that the water park opened, and he went with a girl who he was dating during the summer of 2001 (he remembers their first anniversary being 9/11/01).  Yet every source in existance says the park opened in 1991.  I found old newspaper articles online from 1991 about the park opening.  The park celebrated its 20th anniversary in 2011.  And, when I looked at aerial photos of the area from the mid-90s on Google Earth, it clearly showed the water park (although smaller than it is now).  The only explanation that I can come up with is that maybe the park had a major expansion in 2001.

DanielTiger

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 10:49:22 AM »
Yes, that's the kind of thing I'm referring to.  It doesn't sound like there's any satisfactory explanation for the Mandela memories, however.  There doesn't seem to have been any false report of his death, and anyway people "remember" extensive media coverage of his funeral and the aftermath.