Author Topic: Just got back from Idlewild!!!  (Read 2894 times)

Dais79

• Southwood Neighbor
Just got back from Idlewild!!!
« on: July 04, 2011, 09:43:58 PM »
It was a fantastic park.  Beautiful scenery, fun rides, and of course my boys especially loved the trolley ride!!!  I would love to hear what other neighbors think about it who have been on the ride.
"You know, I think everybody longs to be loved, and longs to know that he or she is lovable. And, consequently, the greatest thing that we can do is to help somebody know that they're loved and capable of loving."
- Fred Rogers

OperaLover

• Westwood Neighbor
Re: Just got back from Idlewild!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 08:19:10 PM »
The trolley ride is fantastic. We have visited the park the last two years and have an upcoming trip planned.
I love it so much, that the ten hour drive is worth it.
Was this your first visit?
What did you like the most about the trolley ride.
Each stop is so wonderful. I love all of it, but I think Lady Elaine's Museum Go-Round is so well-thought.
Oh, after first coming through the tunnel into the Neighborhood of Make-Believe, that first sight of the pink and blue castle is just overwhelming.
The first time we rode, I was teary-eyed at the sight...
Couldn't help it!

Dais79

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 08:37:02 PM »
Oh my goodness, I was teary-eyed, too!  Especially when I read the poster out front with the picture of Mr. and Mrs. Rogers riding it together- I imagine she must miss him so much!

My boys all loved it, but my two year old was 100% into it and believed he was in the Neighborhood so wholeheartedly, he thought everything was real and was responding to each of the characters.  I will never forget it. . .it just warmed my heart to see him meet his friends.  "Okay, King Fwiday!!!  I will, King Fwiday!!!"  His awe and wonder was so pure and beautiful!  My mom said that the look on his face made the whole 7 hour drive and ticket price up right there in that moment!  We could have gone home happy right then. . .of course, Idlewild is so beautiful, there was lots more to do besides :)

I loved the little storyline of the ride.  X and Hen's tree was SO GOOD- it was always my favorite part of the 'hood as a child, and it looked just like the "real" thing.  I also loved that the ride is still so popular, and all of the riders were so happy to be there.

The only part of the ride that I didn't like was the first King Friday's hair :)  I know, that's so picky!!!  The King Friday at the end had better hair. . .LOL.  I did love Lady Elaine. . .and Daniel tiger's peekaboo. . .it was so cute overall!  I would love to go back someday.  Are you going to be there for the Mister Rogers Days where you can meet Neighbor Aber, etc?  that sounds cool.
"You know, I think everybody longs to be loved, and longs to know that he or she is lovable. And, consequently, the greatest thing that we can do is to help somebody know that they're loved and capable of loving."
- Fred Rogers

OperaLover

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 06:11:36 PM »
Oh I'm teary-eyed hearing about how much you loved it and your sweet little son's reaction!!
We just got back from our trip yesterday.
Next time you go, you should also visit the Monroeville mall because they have a wonderful play area full of NOMB play pieces.

It was wonderful spending precious moments with Chuck, Maggie and David at Idlewild.
They are always so gracious and willing to take photos and sign for everyone.
Oh, goodness, David Newell is just amazing.
He works so hard and it can't be easy for him
He gave us the advice well actually a mandate to go to Heinz History Center and so we did!
When Mr. McFeely tells you to do something, you do it without question.
There is a wax life-sized Mister Rogers on the 2nd floor and it was wonderful to see it.
The entire museum is wonderful and I highly recommend you visit for yourself.

OperaLover

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 06:16:37 PM »
I have heard from those that have known about this ride since it was first installed, that the ride used to be so much more beautiful.
The funny thing is, I ONLY see beauty in it.
I don't notice that King Friday's clothing is ragged, but someone told me it was and so I imagine it used to be in much better shape.
Last year, even Maggie seemed sad about how badly the ride has aged.
Still it's perfect to me since I never saw it new.
I can tell that some of the animatronics are not up to par anymore but surely they can fix mechanical issues, right?
I think Daniel only had one eye that blinked but all in all, I think they work pretty darn well and I sure hope they don't replace the clothing with material that is wrong when and if they decide to fix things up, including old wigs.

Dais79

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 07:20:19 PM »
Your trip sounds wonderful!!  Now I feel like we definitely need to go back and check out the mall and the history center, too.  All of our friends sort of scratched their heads at our vacation, like, you're going WHERE???  :) But I couldn't get over how much beauty there was and how much there was to do!  We could go back and do even more!

I agree with you- since I never saw it new, the ride seemed perfect to me, too!  I mean, Henrietta was making a clicking sound but that was about the only thing that obviously showed age to me.  Not like my kids even noticed, they were seriously in HEAVEN.  King Friday's wig only bothered me because it seemed longer than the "real" king's hair :)  I mean, for being outdoors all the time I think everything is in great shape!   How do you even maintain things that are plush, and robotic, and OUTSIDE?? It's impressive. And the trolley is immaculate!  I love that they don't let you take any gum or anything on there to keep it pristine.  Very respectful.

I am so glad you had a nice vacation!!!  :)
- Fred Rogers

OperaLover

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 11:03:07 AM »
Thank you, Dais. I am thrilled that you did too!
Yesterday, my daughter and I visited a new amusement park that is very near our home.
It is quite small and quaint, having been opened on the property where a very large amusement park stood for decades.
So they are just beginning and doing very well.
As we were leaving after spending the day there, the young teenagers working the counter noticed my Idlewild refillable cup that I'd brought with and they said, "We should start selling cups like that with the name of our park on them!"

And I told them all about Idlewild and that they have a beautiful trolley ride that takes people through a life-sized model of the NOMB set within a lovely forest.
There mouths dropped in awe. They were so excited.
They said to one another, "Road trip?"
I took my trolley keychain off my keys to give it to them. (I told them they had to share since I only had one with me)
But I bet they go and boy oh boy, they will be thrilled with the ride because it truly is beautiful.

Dais79

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 09:37:06 PM »
I hope they do go on a road trip!  What a neat story :)
- Fred Rogers