Author Topic: Fred Rogers Biopic  (Read 7028 times)

earnhardtfan4life

• Make-Believe Neighbor
Fred Rogers Biopic
« on: May 03, 2013, 01:49:49 PM »

earnhardtfan4life

• Make-Believe Neighbor
Re: Fred Rogers Biopic
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 10:13:34 PM »
I wonder if any of the former cast of MRN could be called to be in this film?  Such as Aber, Aberlin and others.  If they show his college days it would be neat to see who plays Reardon in the film.  I've always thought in looks John Heard could play a good Reardon.  Also who would play Josie Carey?  I would imagine in the film there will be a lot of scenes of Fred in hospitals and orphan homes, daycare centers, etc.  Another interesting bit will be who would play Costa?

I hope the film gets off the ground.  I would definitely go to see this.   

setlori

• New to the Neighborhood
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 10:22:26 PM »
I just can't get excited until I know more. The tone they choose to take will make a huge difference in how I feel about it.

Personally, I think they should go with an unknown to play the title role. Hiring a well-known comic actor to play him will just make it feel like a parody in my opinion. Of course, I reserve the right to change my mind when I actually see the results.  ;)
Lori

Neighborhood Archive

• Administrator
  • Make-Believe Neighbor
    • The Neighborhood Archive
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 10:23:11 PM »
Take a look at this article from the Post-Gazette (scroll down to where it says "Rogers reports premature?").....

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/ae/movies/film-notes-sizemore-headed-here-to-star-in-new-movie-mob-priest-686109/

I wouldn't get too excited just yet...

Jazzman67

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 10:58:28 PM »
This film will never ever happen.. not without approval from the Fred Rogers Company. No one there thinks it's a good idea. As a true fan of Fred Rogers' work, I'd much rather see the documentary, America's  Favorite Neighbor. By the way, the film couldn't be done with any of the original music from Fred Rogers, which is owned by the Fred Rogers Company.

Even if a film was done, I would NEVER see it. If we are true fans of Fred Rogers, we should be supporting the possition of the Fred Rogers Company, which would rather not see this idea happen. It's a terrible idea. Who better to tell his story than the man himself.

We've alreqdy been told his life's story. Lets appreciate his life's work as told, and get on with appreciating that which we already have. Lst's be blessed with the DVD, America's Favorite Neighbor. Fred Rogers would NEVER have approved a biopic about his life.

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 12:38:15 AM »
This film will never ever happen.. not without approval from the Fred Rogers Company. No one there thinks it's a good idea. As a true fan of Fred Rogers' work, I'd much rather see the documentary, America's  Favorite Neighbor. By the way, the film couldn't be done with any of the original music from Fred Rogers, which is owned by the Fred Rogers Company.

Even if a film was done, I would NEVER see it. If we are true fans of Fred Rogers, we should be supporting the possition of the Fred Rogers Company, which would rather not see this idea happen. It's a terrible idea. Who better to tell his story than the man himself.

We've alreqdy been told his life's story. Lets appreciate his life's work as told, and get on with appreciating that which we already have. Lst's be blessed with the DVD, America's Favorite Neighbor. Fred Rogers would NEVER have approved a biopic about his life.

I have to respectfully disagree with you.  I think we need to see more about Fred than what FCI is currently allowing to be seen.  We need to see both sides.  To be honest, FCI is not being run the way Fred would have run it if he were still alive.  I consider FCI's credibility to be very low at this point.  The fact that you say FCI won't allow any of Fred's music to be in the movie is a good example of how FCI is not being run the way Fred would have run it.  I used to really enjoy seeing Betty's posts on this forum (even though she and I sometimes had our differences) since they seemed to be the only open, unbiased, truthful information about Fred.

JCostaThePro

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 11:26:13 PM »
Another interesting bit will be who would play Costa?

IDK why, but i always thought Steve Buscemi would be John Costa if there was gonna be a film about Rogers. Wonder who'll play Bob Trow?

MysteryNeighbor

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 09:20:25 PM »
It's appropriately entitled....A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood
There's NOT a lot of online news sites about it yet,but go to these sites:

http://news.moviefone.com/2013/05/02/mister-rogers-biopic-a-beautiful-day-in-the-neighborhood/
http://collider.com/mister-rogers-biopic-a-beautiful-day-in-the-neighborhood/

What are you're thoughts on this?

MysteryNeighbor

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 03:54:03 PM »

Even if a film was done, I would NEVER see it. If we are true fans of Fred Rogers, we should be supporting the position of the Fred Rogers Company, which would rather not see this idea happen. It's a terrible idea. Who better to tell his story than the man himself.

Maybe it won't work out after all,let's stick with my prior post of a documentary style(ala America's Favorite Neighbor.)  :) :) :) :)

JCostaThePro

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 10:21:54 PM »

Even if a film was done, I would NEVER see it. If we are true fans of Fred Rogers, we should be supporting the position of the Fred Rogers Company, which would rather not see this idea happen. It's a terrible idea. Who better to tell his story than the man himself.

Maybe it won't work out after all,let's stick with my prior post of a documentary style(ala America's Favorite Neighbor.)  :) :) :) :)

I dunno about that. There have been documentaries about The Three Stooges and Andy Kaufman, but that didn't stop people from making biopics about them (in 1999 and 2000, respectively).

Neighborhood Archive

• Administrator
  • Make-Believe Neighbor
    • The Neighborhood Archive
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2013, 11:37:38 AM »
Looks like this may be happening afterall! What a huge honor for Tim Madigan!

By the way, if you've not read his book....please do so!

http://www.neighborhoodarchive.com/publications/parents/ipoy/index.html

MysteryNeighbor

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2013, 07:35:39 AM »
Should the film portray Fred Rogers as he's been all these years,a kind loving man who talks nicely to children?
Be glad he has no hidden demons,was not an alcoholic and have other issues.

Of course,you know Hollywood has a habit of taking creative liberties with the life stories of famous people,including Mister Rogers!

Hopefully they'll either use footage of the older programs or recreate them for the film.