Author Topic: Looking for the following  (Read 7979 times)

Degeneration X The Owl

• Westwood Neighbor
Looking for the following
« on: May 30, 2011, 12:29:59 PM »
1. The RFK assasination episode from 1968

2.  Christmastime with Mister Rogers

3. The 1981(?) walking talking tree special

earnhardtfan4life

• Make-Believe Neighbor
Re: Looking for the following
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 08:27:19 PM »
What's the 1981 walking tree special?  I don't even recall that one.

Mike

Degeneration X The Owl

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 11:59:02 PM »
Oh!!!!  This was a special Fred did when Reagan and Pope John Paul was shot.  It was 80% NOMB segment (in 2 parts).  The premise is about a character named Walking Talking Tree was declared missing until an african american newscaster for Lady Elaine's MGR TV station found him dead and carried him to the museum go round.  Then in part 2 of the NOMB the newsman and Lady Elaine were doing a special report on the murder and continuously showed the newsman carrying the dead tree to the MGR.  He complained about that to Lady Elaine.  The end, which I kinda find funny, the murderer was revealed as another walking talking tree.  It was taken into custody by Handyman Negri.

Wicked knife and fork

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 11:34:27 AM »
Oh my goodness, that "walking talking tree" special sounds like it was really something! Maybe it was too frightening for children to be shown frequently. I would love to hear more about it. I did a google search and found a few references, but no details. Does anyone else remember that special?

I have watched the black and white RFK assassination special. I went on a trip to Pittsburgh and watched some of the old episodes at the University of Pittsburgh Library. In this episode, Lady Elaine and X were role playing and Lady Elaine said, "why don't you shoot me like that man on TV?" X said "no, why don't you shoot me?" Then Mr. Rogers explained that sometimes it's harder to be the one who shoots someone than the one who got shot. He also said that he was concerned about how children would be affected by graphic images on the news.

If you ever get a chance to go Pittsburgh, I had a great experience watching some classics in the "Elizabeth Nesbitt Room" of the Pitt library.

Here is the link:
http://www.library.pitt.edu/libraries/is/enroom/mrrogers/mrrogrs.htm

Hope this helps!

Degeneration X The Owl

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 11:51:20 AM »
I remember the promo for the special that he strictly said "This is not for children to watch alone."

Eric S

• Westwood Neighbor
    • The ol' sketchbook
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 09:46:39 AM »
Wow! The brief descriptions of all of these make them sound a whole lot more disconcerting than the Conflict episodes.

Degeneration X The Owl

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 11:01:59 AM »
Oh my goodness, that "walking talking tree" special sounds like it was really something! Maybe it was too frightening for children to be shown frequently. I would love to hear more about it. I did a google search and found a few references, but no details. Does anyone else remember that special?

I have watched the black and white RFK assassination special. I went on a trip to Pittsburgh and watched some of the old episodes at the University of Pittsburgh Library. In this episode, Lady Elaine and X were role playing and Lady Elaine said, "why don't you shoot me like that man on TV?" X said "no, why don't you shoot me?" Then Mr. Rogers explained that sometimes it's harder to be the one who shoots someone than the one who got shot. He also said that he was concerned about how children would be affected by graphic images on the news.

If you ever get a chance to go Pittsburgh, I had a great experience watching some classics in the "Elizabeth Nesbitt Room" of the Pitt library.

Here is the link:
http://www.library.pitt.edu/libraries/is/enroom/mrrogers/mrrogrs.htm

Hope this helps!

Would love to go there, Pittsburgh is an hour from where I live.

Eric S

• Westwood Neighbor
    • The ol' sketchbook
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 11:16:38 AM »
What does everyone think about the concept of these specials? They immediatly make me cringe, not because I don't think they would be valuable tools for helping kids handle scary situations, but I think I imagine the worst possibly scenario, which would have been a kid who was totally oblivious to the concept of assassination, or murder, learning about it from these shows. Better from Mr. Rogers than on the street right? Still, what if the kid could have gone on another 3 or 4 years without being told that sometimes people kill other people? I'd gladly put that lesson off as long as possible.

In other words, my daughter, born in 2003, doesn't know about 9/11. We've never let her see footage of it, and never discussed it with her. We're not ready, nor do we think she's ready to know that that sort of thing could happen anywhere in the world, much less in her country. It can, it's a fact of life, and when we think she could even begin to handle it without making her totally paranoid, we'll discuss it with her. However that point hasn't been reached yet. Anyway, I keep thinking, I'm glad she hasn't encountered anything like these MRN episodes, about 9/11, yet. When she is ready, perhaps a special like the ones discussed here, with a friendly adult and put into terms she can understand, would be a good way to teach her about it, but I certainly wouldn't want her to stumble upon it on her own. And I think that's what I picture happening with these episodes- I wonder if some kids weren't sat down and told "There's a Mr. Rogers special on" and were introduced to these things before they needed to be. Of course it sounds like these were primetime specials so perhaps most parents only let their kids see if they were sure that they could handle it.

Degeneration X The Owl

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 11:35:57 AM »
IMO, I think the purpose of both the RFK episode and the walking talking tree special were Fred's cries over the fact that the media continuously replay the incident, even more reason for waling talking tree when all media kept airing Reagan getting shot over and over again.  Sometimes it makes me wonder what if MRN was on in December 7, 1941, or November 22, 1963.

Eric S

• Westwood Neighbor
    • The ol' sketchbook
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 11:41:29 AM »
Sounds like you might be right. And Fred said that the feeling of despair, of deep grief, was palpable in the country. So perhaps my assumption that some kids would have been oblivious to it is in error. Though it's hard to believe, that in today's media saturated society that it would be easier for me to shelter my own kid than they would have been able to back in the 60's.

Wicked knife and fork

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 02:10:26 PM »
One of my favorite Mr. Rogers quotes is "When I was a little boy, and saw things on the news that would frighten me, my mother would say 'Look for the helpers. You'll always find people who are helping.'" These specials about "walking talking tree" and RFK would be a great blog topic!

Eric S

• Westwood Neighbor
    • The ol' sketchbook
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 02:15:13 PM »
And I'd love to find out the reason Fred creted the Walking Talking tree character. Obviously it would have been a bit disturbing to have a human or puppet character gunned down. But why a tree?

Degeneration X The Owl

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2011, 12:31:42 PM »
And I'd love to find out the reason Fred creted the Walking Talking tree character. Obviously it would have been a bit disturbing to have a human or puppet character gunned down. But why a tree?

Don't know why a tree.  It's like asking Fred that since we know who lives in North Wood, Southwood and West Wood, but who lives in East Wood (insert Clint joke here).

But anywho, WTT were (there were 2, victim and assailant) costumed characters and not puppets.  One was a tall shinny tree which was the victim.  The other, and I could be wrong, was a lil larger oak tree like character who admitted killing the other.

Degeneration X The Owl

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2011, 12:48:51 PM »

MrRogers143

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2013, 06:38:52 PM »
If anyone is looking for the RFK assassination special, here is a clip from it.
http://exhibit.fredrogerscenter.org/advocacy-for-children/videos/view/975/
Steven Simmons
   [Trolley]
[bdbdbdbd]
    o      o