Author Topic: Behind the Camera: The Unauthorized Story of Mister Roger's Neighborhood  (Read 3764 times)

MysteryNeighbor

• Southwood Neighbor
Is there anyone here familiar with a series of TV films about the shows that aired on commercial television during the 1970s & 1980s called Behind the Camera: The Unauthorized Story of (insert name of show here)?
It aired on NBC in the early-2000s.

Now should MRN be subjected to something like that? seeing what really happened behind the scenes as well as both on and off camera,too?

earnhardtfan4life

• Make-Believe Neighbor
I had actually talked to someone who worked as an intern for WQED back in the 70s that said that Johnny Costa could be a real flirt sometimes.  I could probably imagine that given the fact that he probably played the piano at piano bars and such.  And that he smoked cigars all the time and Fred didn't really mind it.  BKA could be the one that could validate any of this.

Mike

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
Re: Behind the Camera: The Unauthorized Story of Mister Roger's Neighborhood
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 04:14:55 PM »
I had actually talked to someone who worked as an intern for WQED back in the 70s that said that Johnny Costa could be a real flirt sometimes.  I could probably imagine that given the fact that he probably played the piano at piano bars and such.  And that he smoked cigars all the time and Fred didn't really mind it.  BKA could be the one that could validate any of this.

Mike

I notice that in the picture that Tim posted today of Bob Trow, that Bob Trow was holding a cigarette.  And I know that I have seem pictures of Johnny Costa holding a cigar.  And Betty has stated in interviews that she used to be a heavy smoker, although she quit (I think maybe in the early 80s).  I got the impression that Fred was strongly againt smoking, so I am surprised that he hired so many smokers for MRN.  I know that smoking was much more popular back then, so maybe there weren't too many non-smokers available.

I am curious as to who else on MRN smoked?  I'm especially curious about David, since he allegedly smoked in Episode 37.  Does anyone know if Johnny Costa or Bob Trow quit smoking, or if they smoked until their deaths?  I'm glad that Betty quit smoking.

Betty: just out of curiosity, do you remember exactly when you quit smoking?  I wonder if you remember which episodes you shot as a non-smoker vs which ones you were a smoker.  I wonder if it affected your voice at all, and if your voice changed after you quit.

Has anyone else noticed any changes in Betty's voice that could have indicated when she quit smoking?  I know she was still smoking in 1980 when Bubbleland was shot, since I saw an interview of her from 1980, and it mentioned her smoking, and it also mentioned Bubbleland.

JCostaThePro

• Westwood Neighbor
Re: Behind the Camera: The Unauthorized Story of Mister Roger's Neighborhood
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 07:22:40 PM »

Mike

I wonder if any of the crew members (i.e., Art Vogel, Ronald Fudoli, Bob Millslagle, ect.) were smokers?

The thing about Costa playing in piano bars doesn't surprise me. His inspiration Art Tatum did that alot and several of the MRN outros, especially the one on 1326, tend to have this cool, nightclub-like swing to it.