Author Topic: DTN Brief Review  (Read 3260 times)

JAO93

• Southwood Neighbor
DTN Brief Review
« on: January 23, 2013, 01:09:54 AM »
Just some of my thoughts on the show.

I've watched a few episodes of this series since I posted about it last time. Homage or not, it airs at MRN's old air-time on the resident WPT station. Here are my thoughts.

The aesthetics are okay, though everything feels just a tad too glossy. The animation, while bouncy, is far better than other shows out there. The character designs and voices are alright.

The episodes are okay, though I feel they're too brief to give an earnest lesson and message to viewers. The live action segments, while archetypal, are okay.

While the show is alright, it pales compared to MRN. Obviously it's a product for a different generation, a generation that prefers fleeting messages to slower and more earnest efforts. I never intended to see DTN bypass what MRN already did well, however.

My views are largely neutral. It's impossible to further compare it with MRN in full as I grew up on MRN. While MRN will always have a special place in my mind as one of the very few shows I learned from, DTN just buzzes by as "another kid's show". Each episode of DTN seems to fly by whilst MRN has much better pacing. If DTN were slower and more earnest, it'd probably fare better. But for what it offers in it's current form, it does alright. I do feel DTN lacks the universal appeal MRN had from all viewpoints. But for it's intended age group, the show will no doubt fare well.

I do feel it still fares better than other "modern" children's programming out there (Barney, yuck).

Neighborhood Archive

• Administrator
  • Make-Believe Neighbor
    • The Neighborhood Archive
Re: DTN Brief Review
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 07:01:28 AM »
Thanks for sharing your thoughts...although I have to disagree with one thing you said:

"The episodes are okay, though I feel they're too brief to give an earnest lesson and message to viewers."

I felt the same way at first but as my kids have latched on to this show -- and have they ever! -- they are clearly picking up on the lessons taught by this program. We downloaded the album of songs off iTunes which they want to listen to all the time. Even better, at least once a day, I will hear one of them use the lesson/jingle from one episode or another to solve a problem in an appropriate situation.

At dinner time, they often remind each other the "try new foods because they might taste good."
When they're playing and have a disagreement, I've heard them sing "find a way to play together" and "you can take a turn and then I'll get it back."

These are just a few examples. So in comparison to the original Neighborhood program, sure...DTN flies by and a very fast pace. But as I've said before, when considering the target audience, hearing my girls use these lessons they've learned from the show in their daily lives is amazing.

JAO93

• Southwood Neighbor
Re: DTN Brief Review
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 06:19:20 PM »
Hi again, sorry for the late reply.

I'll admit I was only taking a guess on how DTN appealed to it's age range. As far as my family goes, no one had really gotten into it, though I'm pleased to hear people elsewhere have enjoyed it.

Despite what others may think of the show, I still think it's one of the better programs on public television right now.
But to me, MRN will always have the upper hand out of nostalgia alone - and admittedly a format I prefer.

I still wonder what kids growing up on DTN will think of it once they've become older and look back at it.