Author Topic: Santa Claus episode  (Read 5572 times)

MysteryNeighbor

• Southwood Neighbor
Santa Claus episode
« on: October 28, 2012, 02:58:49 PM »
Wasn't that the one were Chef Brockett wore a Santa suit for the real neighborhood(just once) and during the Make-Believe segments?

That episode aired in February of 1973,which makes it after Christmas. Should that episode been repeated during the actual holiday season of that year?

Yes,No or Grey Area?

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
Re: Santa Claus episode
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 12:37:38 PM »
Wasn't that the one were Chef Brockett wore a Santa suit for the real neighborhood(just once) and during the Make-Believe segments?

That episode aired in February of 1973,which makes it after Christmas. Should that episode been repeated during the actual holiday season of that year?

Yes,No or Grey Area?

I don't know for sure, but we think that at the time, the 2 previous seasons were repeated, followed by a rerun of the current season.  If that was true, then the episode you are talking about would have rerun on Nov. 19, 1973, the Monday before Thanksgiving.

MysteryNeighbor

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 06:36:57 PM »
In your humble opinion...

Did Chef Brockett look great in the Santa suit? Wasn't too big for Fred?

MrRogers143

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 08:11:41 PM »
It was too big for Fred. Chef Brockett did look better in it. Today, I was thinking about episode 1571, when it was raining in the neighborhood.
Steven Simmons
   [Trolley]
[bdbdbdbd]
    o      o

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 01:41:41 AM »
This discussion about this episode's original airdate (Monday, Feb. 19, 1973, even though that's nowhere near Christmas) made me think of something else.  Monday, Feb. 19, 1973 was Presidents Day.  I wonder if perhaps they intentionally aired an episode with potentially difficult content on a day that parents would be home from work and able to watch MRN with their kids.  From what I've heard, more businesses gave a day off for Presidents Day in 1973 than they do nowadays.  It was a good choice since it's a minor enough holiday that most families wouldn't have plans that would preclude them from watching MRN (unlike Thanksgiving, Christmas, or 4th of July) and PBS stations would be unlikely to pre-empt MRN that day.

Another controversial episode, 1476 (Monday episode of Divorce week) had its first airing on Presidents Day in 1981.  In fact, many episodes first aired on Presidents Day, but I don't know if any of them had controversial content or not.

JCostaThePro

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 02:39:09 PM »
This discussion about this episode's original airdate (Monday, Feb. 19, 1973, even though that's nowhere near Christmas) made me think of something else.  Monday, Feb. 19, 1973 was Presidents Day.  I wonder if perhaps they intentionally aired an episode with potentially difficult content on a day that parents would be home from work and able to watch MRN with their kids.  From what I've heard, more businesses gave a day off for Presidents Day in 1973 than they do nowadays.  It was a good choice since it's a minor enough holiday that most families wouldn't have plans that would preclude them from watching MRN (unlike Thanksgiving, Christmas, or 4th of July) and PBS stations would be unlikely to pre-empt MRN that day.

Another controversial episode, 1476 (Monday episode of Divorce week) had its first airing on Presidents Day in 1981.  In fact, many episodes first aired on Presidents Day, but I don't know if any of them had controversial content or not.

As far as i know, Things To Wear, Fast & Slow, Transformations, Sharing, Giving & Recieving, Noisy & Quiet and Curiosity all aired during Presidents Week, but i don't know if any of those episodes were controversial or not.

JCostaThePro

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 02:42:53 PM »
There's another pre-79 episode/week that mentions a special holiday. Near the end of 1365, which aired in April 1974, Rogers has a discussion about Thanksgiving and evens sings a song about it called Thank You, God (sung to the tune of Tree, Tree, Tree). Strangely, like 1261-1265 with Christmas, 1361-1365 never aired anywhere near Thanksgiving. As a matter of fact, it aired the week of Independance Day in 1988 (is that right?) and Memorial Day in 1993 (the last time it aired).

DanielTiger

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 09:04:08 PM »
Another controversial episode, 1476 (Monday episode of Divorce week) had its first airing on Presidents Day in 1981.

I wonder if there could be any significance to the fact that Ronald Reagan had just taken office, and he was the first divorced president.

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2013, 11:00:32 PM »

Transformations has the laser pointer in 1696, which was later reshot.  But that was just coincidence, and was not intended as a controversial episode.

Every year from 1994 through 2000 had a new week during Presidents week.  I don't think that had anything to do with controversial episodes, but they maybe wanted to air new episodes during a week that many kids would be home from school.  They probably also had planned a new week during Presidents week in 2001, since Making Mistakes is an out of order week during an otherwise chronological run, and there would be no reason to move it to that week in particular.  We know for sure that a new week was planned for the last week of July 1997 (but was probably scrapped due to Costa's death), and it seems likely too that they had planned new weeks for July 2000 and July 2001 that were never produced either (again, those are out of order weeks during an otherwise chronological run).

As far as i know, Things To Wear, Fast & Slow, Transformations, Sharing, Giving & Recieving, Noisy & Quiet and Curiosity all aired during Presidents Week, but i don't know if any of those episodes were controversial or not.