Author Topic: If MRN was still on the air today...  (Read 3917 times)

MysteryNeighbor

• Southwood Neighbor
If MRN was still on the air today...
« on: July 19, 2013, 06:29:31 AM »
Mistguy2001's post from May 05, 2012, 07:54:59 PM made me think what if MRN was still on the air today,what problems would it face?
Would they change the format? Have a more rock sounding intro? Resort to the quick cut and fast joke? Phase out the NOMB segments? What???  :-\

JCostaThePro

• Westwood Neighbor
Re: If MRN was still on the air today...
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 08:31:02 AM »
While having rock & roll music would be pretty cool, there's a few major problems with that. Some of Rogers' most-heartwarming songs like It's You I Like, A Lonely Kind Of Thing and Children Can are supposed to be loving and calm, not party-ish sing-along and stuff like that that today's children are learning. Also, jazz pianist/musical director John Costa was one of the people that made the show awesome to watch for all ages. I even heard a while back that Rogers even considered quitting MRN in 1996 after he died. MRN isn't right without his musical style.

As for the NOM segments, i dunno about that.

MysteryNeighbor

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 07:41:19 PM »
Maybe you're right,but still what other problems would MRN face in the world of modern TV?

MrRogers143

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 11:20:41 PM »
I think one problem the show would face would be the old fashioned feeling it is. Some of the things featured on the program are not usually used in this world anymore.
Steven Simmons
   [Trolley]
[bdbdbdbd]
    o      o

mjb1124

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 07:50:21 PM »
I couldn't possibly see any major changes happening to the music, format, or pacing of the show.   It would probably continue to incorporate some technological advances as it had in the later years, and possibly add some new characters, but I don't think there's any way that Fred would allow PBS to force major overhauls.   If anything, it's more likely that PBS would have eventually cancelled the show if Fred was still alive and didn't end it on his own terms.  But who knows?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 07:52:33 PM by mjb1124 »

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 04:17:41 PM »
I couldn't possibly see any major changes happening to the music, format, or pacing of the show.   It would probably continue to incorporate some technological advances as it had in the later years, and possibly add some new characters, but I don't think there's any way that Fred would allow PBS to force major overhauls.   If anything, it's more likely that PBS would have eventually cancelled the show if Fred was still alive and didn't end it on his own terms.  But who knows?

Why do you think PBS would have cancelled the series?

mjb1124

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 07:35:57 PM »
I'm not necessarily saying that the show wouldn't still be on today if Mr. Rogers was alive, able, and willing to do it.   Just that I think PBS would sooner cancel the show than force sweeping changes upon it.     I think Mr. Rogers would have resisted any such demands, and I doubt PBS would have even had the audacity to try.   So if it really got to the point where PBS thought the show was too dated or slow-paced to continue as it was, then they probably would have gone the cancellation route.   In other words, if the show were still on today, any changes between 2001 and now would have been very minor and gradual, and the new episodes would probably still at least be able to be mixed with all of the post-75's.

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 11:16:54 PM »
One thing I wonder about is, if there had been many more new episodes after 2001, whether some older post-75s would have been retired, or if they would have continued to air.  In the end, there were 60 weeks of post-75s (not counting Conflict), but only 52 weeks in a year, so every year, 8 weeks were skipped.  If they would continue to air all post-75s, then more than 8 weeks would have needed to be skipped each year.  Another possibility is that the episodes could have aired on a cycle longer than 52 weeks, but with no episodes skipped.  In fact, I always wondered why, rather than skipping 8 weeks, they couldn't have just aired them on a 60 week cycle.

MIKEBENNIDICT

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 05:45:54 PM »
Mistguy2001's post from May 05, 2012, 07:54:59 PM made me think what if MRN was still on the air today,what problems would it face?
Would they change the format? Have a more rock sounding intro? Resort to the quick cut and fast joke? Phase out the NOMB segments? What???  :-\
Don't know why you'd think MRN neighborhood would have more of a rock sounding intro considering it survived almost 40 years without it.

JAO93

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2013, 01:09:22 AM »
I don't think the show would be much different from where it left off. Perhaps focusing around more recent issues (war again, dullard economy, and other ongoing issues kids will inevitably come to grief with), but other than that I don't think it'd change much.

JCostaThePro

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2013, 11:04:03 AM »
Also, jazz pianist/musical director John Costa was one of the people that made the show awesome to watch for all ages. I even heard a while back that Rogers even considered quitting MRN in 1996 after he died. MRN isn't right without his musical style.

Though i did like Michael Moricz, too. His music was pretty.

jamesSullivanNY

• New to the Neighborhood
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2013, 01:02:01 PM »
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 03:51:34 PM by jamesSullivanNY »
-James Sullivan