Author Topic: Windstorm in Bubble Land  (Read 5360 times)

JAO93

• Southwood Neighbor
Windstorm in Bubble Land
« on: September 09, 2012, 09:09:30 AM »
Another somewhat older episode aired just earlier. Much credit to resident station MPTV for still airing MRN on Sunday mornings.

A fun 'opera'. Nonsensical the concept was, it worked out so well regardless. All the human characters were great, and Lady Elaine was perfect as Hildegard Hummingbird. Wasn't bothered by the lack of other puppets. The 'news room' setting was my favorite, though all the sets were quite good. Also liked the live footage with bubbles transposed.

I must have seen this one at least once when I was young, I remember the odd opening with the intro song cut short and the bubble wand.

What are all your memories on this episode?

earnhardtfan4life

• Make-Believe Neighbor
Re: Windstorm in Bubble Land
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 11:50:06 AM »
My memories of Windstorm in Bubble Land is Reardon's - "There's Never any Trouble here in Bubbleand" song.  I used to go around all the time singing:  There's Never, Never, Never, Never, Ever any Trouble here in Bubbleland, Bubbleland, Bubbleland.  That is about as good as the Polishing song in Granddad for Daniel.  I love that Polishing song.  I remember I used to get goosebumps hearing that song when that opera would air when I was a kid.

Mike

Paul

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 03:02:32 PM »
When I was younger I loved making costumes/sets/etc. and preforming the operas for my family. Making things for shows is still one of my most favorite things to do. I have home videos of me preforming "the Bubble opera" as we called it with my then 2 year old brother cast as the wind (waving pieces of toilet paper) and me as all the other roles. Very fond memories. I still have the entire thing memorized! I'll have to see if I can find where one of the videos is.

I also recall that my cousin used to have me be the "cleanup wind" when we tidied things up, clearly based on my love of this opera. (In which he was often cast as well...)

Apparently, though I don't remember, I once tracked oil all over the newly cleaned carpet of my parents car. As my dad was about to chastise me for it, I apparently reminded him that "Dad, people are more important than cars" (or bubbles :))

I can't pin down a specific reason, maybe because everything about it is so wonderful, but this has always been my favorite opera. Many thanks to the wonderful people who created it!

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 09:26:46 PM »
Bubbleland was one of my favorites as a kid.  I do have a really strange memory: for many years, I thought that it was a Tuesday episode (rather than a Friday episode), since I thought that I watched it on Election Day.  It seems what happened was this: in 1984, it aired on my grandmother's birthday (Friday, Nov. 2), so we probably visited her for her birthday.  So I probably did not watch Bubbleland that day, but my parents taped it for me.  And I probably watched it on the following Tuesday, when I was home from school for Election Day.  I wodner why I waited until Tuesday to watch it, and didn't watch it over the weekend.

itsyouilike

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 06:36:22 PM »
Hi everyone, I'm hope here. Hope it's ok if I jump right in.

I vividly remember watching Windstorm in Bubble Land when I was a little girl. It was the first MRN opera I saw. I loved the concept, but Joe Negri as the Wind really scared me and I had nightmares. I guess that shows how good his performance was. :) I saw it again years later and was able to fully appreciate it, though the Wind still scared me!

JCostaThePro

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 10:15:53 PM »
Let's see... i remember i loved the opening scene when Betty Sweatermaker interupts the spray-sweater sponsor (was it that specific moment?) and that was not long after Reardon finished singing the Blubbleland song. lol, i thought it was cute, especially when the screens in the background showed that the cameras changed from focusing on Reardon's face to Betty's and he's like "what the heck?!" as he's looking through his papers and all, it was funny. I also loved how Mr. Donovan suddenly changed to his wind alter-ego by getting in a booth and crashing through it, a la Superman. Something you don't usually expect from Mr. Rogers. And of course, i loved the scene when everybody thought that Hildegarde was dead. A sad, beloved scene and yet another rare moment you don't usually expect from Rogers.

The opera was definately a classic. Also, John Costa's outro music was unique on this one; a medley of some of the opera songs, mainly the grand finale number. The fast tempo went perfectly with the scrolling credits (keep in mind that, contrary to what most people think, Costa often played the outro music at a much slower pace than that). I always thought it was weird that 1465, 1470 and this all had the scrolling credits and no other episode did. I also remember, for a long time, i saw this episode, but had no memory of 1471-1474 for some odd reason.

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 11:20:03 AM »
I also remember, for a long time, i saw this episode, but had no memory of 1471-1474 for some odd reason.

For many years, for some reason, I thought that 1475 was a Tuesday episode, since I vividly remembered watching it on Election Day one year, which is always a Tuesday.  When we learned about the schedules, I think I figured it out: in 1984, it aired on my grandmother's birthday (Friday, Nov. 2, 1984).  Most likely, we visited her for her birthday, so I probably taped MRN, rather than watching it live.  And, I probably watched the tape when I was home from school on Election Day, which would have been 4 days later that year.  Though I wonder why I didn't watch it over the weekend.