Author Topic: review  (Read 3079 times)

bka

• Westwood Neighbor

Eric S

• Westwood Neighbor
    • The ol' sketchbook
Re: review
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 02:56:28 AM »
I think that review, and the comments below it, say it all. I thought I'd feel more positive about the show once I had seen it. I figured, ok, they are expanding the Neighborhood, adding new characters, and keeping the same philosophy and focus in what and how they teach. However on watching what's aired this week, I feel like I couldn't be more disappointed. DTN feels like every other show on Nickelodeon or PBS. On the surface, the lessons seem to be about feelings, and emotional growth, like MRN, but the way it's being taught is 180 degrees different. There's none of the rumination or simple acceptance of a characters feelings. Instead there's a quick song (none of which have impressed me so far), a jingle to help kids remember (for example) that "When something seems bad, find something good". Really? That is so not a lesson it seemed Fred would have spent any time on. Fred would have done it, he would have pointed out the positive, but had something happened to a cake in the Neighborhood of Make Believe and a character was feeling disappointed, the disappointment, sadness, etc.. would not have been glossed over by the nearest adult with a musical bit of advice. The focus on MRN was always on validation and acceptance, and only then did they ever suggest "getting over it". That's what I felt like DTN kept suggesting, in episode after episode, "get over it". It's not that that's not something to learn, but it's not what MRN seemed to teach. I think Fred believed that kids learn things naturally when their ready, and as adults we often try to speed that learning up. You start yelling at your kid for having a messy room before they are mentally capable of the organization and planning that must be present to keep a room clean. Likewise, when a kid skins his or her knee, you often say "it doesn't hurt that much" or "stop crying" trying to rush them into a state that they will naturally get to in time, if only we'd validate the feelings of pain and sadness they are having in the moment, thus facilitating that transition naturally. And that doesn't seem to be the philosphy of DTN.

So, in summary, the show is very cute, I'm glad they use some (if not nearly enough) of the music from MRN, but it doesn't feel like it's even cut from the MRN cloth.

Paul

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 02:38:40 PM »
Exactly.

Despite my disappointment about DTN, I would like to express my gratitude to the members of FRC who have pushed so hard to make the episodes of the Neighborhood available that are available, for allowing Tim to create the Archive, and to those who had large roles in the production of the original program.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 03:15:17 PM by Paul »

bka

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 03:34:42 PM »
I too am glad Tim was permitted access. through him we neighbors are able to remember many a year.

Neighborhood Archive

• Administrator
  • Make-Believe Neighbor
    • The Neighborhood Archive
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 06:42:07 PM »
I would like to express my gratitude to the members of FRC...for allowing Tim to create the Archive
I too am glad Tim was permitted access. through him we neighbors are able to remember many a year.

I cannot properly express how grateful I truly am to be able to maintain this site. I'm equally grateful for the wonderful people I've met along the way including all of you here...