Author Topic: Western PA Influences.  (Read 6043 times)

MIKEBENNIDICT

• Westwood Neighbor
Western PA Influences.
« on: September 01, 2012, 01:11:13 PM »
Considering Latrobe was an industrial town Pittsburgh a steel mill city and I think a good deal of the region was a manufacturing part of the state, makes you wonder how it influenced Rogers?

Considering how he showed films on manufacturing, it's probably obvious. Can't remember if he showed films on making steel or coal mining.

Here's an articles which has some in site and thought about this.

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/feature/030303-mrrogers-1

ztrukanna

• New to the Neighborhood
Re: Western PA Influences.
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 09:15:21 PM »
Thank you for sharing that article! It illuminates some very interesting points and, since I just moved to Pittsburgh, something I've been thinking about recently.

I'm sure Mister Rogers' background amongst the manufacturing part of the state influenced him a great deal, but it does seem that his primary intentions were to focus on kids whose parents may not be at home for the better part of the day because they were working. He may have had that proximity to workers and their rights/livelihoods while growing up.

In viewing episodes now, it seems that in part he's trying to explain to kids (of a primarily working class background) what their parents are doing at work. And also, to speak to the kids who will eventually be working in manufacturing plants (and other laboring fields), maybe with a goal of saying, "be proud of yourself, and have integrity in what you do, even if the world doesn't reward you for it". He does it the same way he showcases musicians, chefs, artists and others who seem more able to "express" themselves in their work, and thus gain identity/self-esteem from their careers.

I think bka has hit upon this theme before, too, -- that her own experience as a kid from the working class influenced a great deal of Mister Rogers' use of these messages and efforts to address those kids.

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 11:37:12 AM »
I actually feel that MRN works better for people eventually headed toward a career in the arts, rather than a manufacturing job, with how Fred said that it's good to be different, and good to do things slowly.  Read this thread that I started about my criticism of MRN, and how I'm trapped in a corporate world that I don't fit into and MRN failed to prepare me for.  The manufacturing world is even worse than the corporate world that I described.

http://neighborhoodarchive.com/forum/index.php?topic=606.0

MIKEBENNIDICT

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 01:58:53 PM »
I read the artcile but I think you're out of line saying that MRN failed to prepare you for the corperate world.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 02:02:30 PM by MIKEBENNIDICT »

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 08:58:51 PM »
I read the artcile but I think you're out of line saying that MRN failed to prepare you for the corperate world.

Did you read the thread that I linked you to?  In that thread, I explained how I took to heart Fred's comments that it's ok to be different, and that it's good to take your time and do things differently.  Unfortunately, the corporate world (and, to an even greater extent, the manufacturing world) wants everyone to be the same, and to be fast paced and do everything fast.  My personality, which was shaped by MRN, is not very much admired in the corporate world.  It seems that the artistic world is just about the only area that allows self-expression and doing things at your own pace, but that field is (obviously) only open to people with artistic ability (which I do not have at all).

MIKEBENNIDICT

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 09:08:46 PM »
Yes i did  but your thread title sort of makes it sound like it.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 09:58:24 PM by MIKEBENNIDICT »

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 10:18:06 PM »

What do you mean?

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 11:11:22 PM »

Since you still haven't answered: what do you mean by that post?

MIKEBENNIDICT

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 01:55:11 PM »
I think i answered your question nice and clear.

The title of your thread made it sound like you were blamming your troubles on the program.

Now I don't wish to discuss this any futher.

Neighborhood Archive

• Administrator
  • Make-Believe Neighbor
    • The Neighborhood Archive
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2012, 02:00:29 PM »
Play nice, folks. Play nice.