Author Topic: Something I've Wondered.  (Read 3503 times)

MIKEBENNIDICT

• Westwood Neighbor
Something I've Wondered.
« on: August 22, 2012, 07:52:37 PM »
I wonder how Rogers kind man he was helped out those on the set during rough times.

Couple months after it's national debut Martin Luther King was killed and it would not only be interesting to know how he might of helped those in the black community but I also think about Carrol Saunder and Francois Clemmons who naturally would of been going through grief because of that and how Fred might of provided any kind of comfort as a result of the incident.

Also considering Western Pennsylvania was historically industrial. Pittsburgh as a steel manufacturing place and I don't Fred's dad owned a brick company and West also known for coal mining.

I'm sure it's not as big on an industrial area as it one was with so many of these place has closed over the years, you wonder what his thought were on the matter and what help he might of provided to families effected by these changes?

I should also mention number of years ago I was in a bookstore and I don't remember what the book was about but it had interviews with a number of people, including Fred Rogers and he mentions that he had planed to participate  in the 1965 Selma Alabama mach but something came up and didn't make it.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 05:10:44 PM by MIKEBENNIDICT »

earnhardtfan4life

• Make-Believe Neighbor
Re: Something I've Wondered.
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 03:30:11 PM »
I think Fred translated the actual feelings into television.  As in one episode in '69, he and Francois put their feet together in a pool of water (which later is reproduced again in the 90s) to show that both whites and blacks can coexist together.  I think Fred giving people who had it rough at one time or another the opportunity to showcase their talents was a form of expression of care.  I wonder how Chrissie Thompson got on the show to begin with?  Along with Yoshi Ito?

I think I had read where Francois was a waiter in NYC before he got the job on MRN.

Mike

MIKEBENNIDICT

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 04:06:45 PM »
He could have but he is an opera singer like Reardon and the waiter work might have been a part time thing.

Not sure if I remember the episode though I do recall seeing the 1969 and 1970 shows but it is pretty interesting.

It's also interesting Mr. Clemmons played a cop considering there were many issues concerning relation between the police and the black communites nationwide.

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 11:44:50 PM »
I think I had read where Francois was a waiter in NYC before he got the job on MRN.
Mike

I don't think that is correct.  I had heard that Francois Clemmons and Joanne Rogers were in a church choir together, in Pittsburgh, and Fred invited him to be in one episode.  Since they received a lot of positive feedback on him, Fred decided to have him on the show as a semi-regular character.  I don't think Francois moved to New York City until 1970.

bka

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 09:43:27 AM »
Making Francois a policeman was akin to making the lone "feminist" puppet (not counting Lady Elaine) a cow. (Ms. Harriet Elizabeth Cow). Francois is at Middlebury College in Vermont. I told him about the archives, & think he would love to fill in the blanks.....you can probably find him online.

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 11:18:22 AM »
Making Francois a policeman was akin to making the lone "feminist" puppet (not counting Lady Elaine) a cow. (Ms. Harriet Elizabeth Cow). Francois is at Middlebury College in Vermont. I told him about the archives, & think he would love to fill in the blanks.....you can probably find him online.

Betty, if you don't mind me asking, what do you mean exactly?  I always thought that Fred had Francois Clemmons on the show since he wanted to have an African American character in a position of authority.  A few years later, he added Mayor Maggie, to have an African American woman in a position of authority.

Also, how exactly is Ms. Cow a feminist puppet?  If anything, Lady Elaine is more of a feminist puppet.