Author Topic: The Neighborhood Model  (Read 10914 times)

Junior50MI

• New to the Neighborhood
The Neighborhood Model
« on: August 05, 2012, 11:05:49 AM »
As a young man I always had an interest in model railroading. What made me so excited about that hobby was the ability to be able to build a whole town our of model buildings. Which brings me to my point of this posting. On every opening to MRN at least the one's I remember watching - it opened with the title graphics over the camera zooming into to Mr. Rogers home on the neighborhood model.

I have always wanted to re-create the neighborhood model. I have viewed many episodes, to see if I could make at least a drawing of the model. Much to my frustration I have never really been able to come up with a complete drawing as the camera never seems to do a complete "flyover" the neighborhood. And as was previously stated in other postings, the model was changed to meet the needs of the production staff. Some buildings were added others removed.

So here is my question. Is there anywhere where I could get pictures of this model, does the model still exist, and if so is it available for public viewing? Are there any sites which might have pictures that I could view of specific buildings - and do you think it is really even worth the cost and effort to attempt to reconstruct this most iconic of stage sets?

earnhardtfan4life

• Make-Believe Neighbor
Re: The Neighborhood Model
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 12:39:25 PM »
It's been discussed on this forum before, but I will give you a quick summary.

Mister Rogers house is a Bachmann Cape Cod house model that has been modified.  The porch has been moved to the opposite side. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Bachmann-Cape-Cod-House-Kit-HO-45131-NIB-/290743522177?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item43b1aa1381#ht_825wt_2362

The big red building that is shown at the end are (2) TYCO Ramsey Journal buildings built one on top of another with a modified roof/modified windows.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tyco-Kit-Ramsey-Journal-Building-HO-Scale-No-7772-NIB-/221073162081?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item3378fcbf61#ht_1744wt_1164

Bakery/Betty's Little Theater are Ramsey Journal buildings as well that have been modified.

Mike

JAO93

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 02:19:15 PM »
Mister Rogers house is a Bachmann Cape Cod house model that has been modified.  The porch has been moved to the opposite side.  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Bachmann-Cape-Cod-House-Kit-HO-45131-NIB-/290743522177?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item43b1aa1381#ht_825wt_2362

It's so fun to see pieces like this are readily available in conventional model form.

I still wonder how they did the little Trolley that ran across the set. Since it moved rather stilted, I always wondered if it was really powered of simply dragged along.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 02:22:28 PM by JAO93 »

pastorscott

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 09:40:46 PM »
Some time ago, one of our neighbors posted a link to a 1982 Model Railroader article about the guy who developed the 'model" trolley.  It was an interesting read...maybe Tim could post the link again?

Quinn

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 03:07:20 AM »
A plain text version of that article is here: http://cs.trains.com/grw/f/91/p/14145/162280.aspx#162285

I used to have a better link, with pictures, but it no longer works.  :-\

Quinn

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 03:19:45 AM »
Is there anywhere where I could get pictures of this model, does the model still exist, and if so is it available for public viewing? Are there any sites which might have pictures that I could view of specific buildings - and do you think it is really even worth the cost and effort to attempt to reconstruct this most iconic of stage sets?

It's likely that many of the buildings used on the layout can still be found. As for the cost... well, that's all up to you! If it's something that you've always wanted to do and you have the means, go for it! I would be envious. My layouts when I was young probably had a nod to MRN, too.

I've seen pieces here and there identified over the years. Perhaps this Neighborhood Archive will find a spot for that kind of information, too. That would be an interesting project.

Neighborhood Archive

• Administrator
  • Make-Believe Neighbor
    • The Neighborhood Archive
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 06:32:15 AM »
Go back and look at blog posts from around March or April of 2011. Over the course of about a week, I shared a lot of up-close photos of the Neighborhood set pieces.

Quinn

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 11:27:33 AM »
Those are still some of my favorite posts, but did you cover the model layout from the open and close of the show?

Neighborhood Archive

• Administrator
  • Make-Believe Neighbor
    • The Neighborhood Archive
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 11:48:17 AM »
Sorry. I misunderstood what you were asking. The models from the opening and closing of the show have been mentioned a time or two on the blog but most of that discussion has been here on the message board. Definitely something I want to cover on the actual Archive site at some point though.

JAO93

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 12:02:59 PM »
A plain text version of that article is here: http://cs.trains.com/grw/f/91/p/14145/162280.aspx#162285

I used to have a better link, with pictures, but it no longer works.  :-\

Thanks for that. I see they cite Bachmann again as the source for the HO Trolley (albeit heavily modified). I always liked the model layout on the show, favorite buildings being Mr. Roger's house and the red tower at the beginning and end.