Author Topic: Episode 1205 - Question for Tim  (Read 6610 times)

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
Episode 1205 - Question for Tim
« on: July 25, 2012, 09:42:18 PM »
Tim: I see you recently watched Episode 1205, the alleged first time Fred used Good Feeling to end an episode.  How exactly did he explain the switch to Good Feeling?  I notice you have both Good Feeling and Weekend Song listed for that episode.  How exactly did he combine them?  Thanks.

MrRogers143

• Westwood Neighbor
Re: Episode 1205 - Question for Tim
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 09:59:13 PM »
I think I can answer that. The combination of both songs is sung the same way he sang it in the late 79 episodes.
Steven Simmons
   [Trolley]
[bdbdbdbd]
    o      o

Neighborhood Archive

• Administrator
  • Make-Believe Neighbor
    • The Neighborhood Archive
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 10:53:35 PM »
Nothing out of the ordinary really. As he cleans up the kitchen, Mister Rogers says "It's a mighty good feeling to know that I'll be able to come back and visit with you next week."

This of course leads into the song.

For the record, he does use the "snappy new day" line and not the "grow twelve inches" line.

As for Good Feeling and the Weekend Song, he just flows from one to the next as usual:

"...the feeling you know...that I'll be back...when the week is new..."

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 11:20:08 PM »
Assuming that 1205 really is the first time that he used Good Feeling to close an epiosde, it sounds like he had a very subtle way of introducing it.  Unlike in Episode 1135, where introducing the Weekend Song was a major part of the episode's plot.

Do you have 1196?  What version of Good Feeling does that have?  I still wonder if that could have been the first time good Feeling was used to close an episode.  Do you have anything at all between 1196 and 1204?

Thanks.

Neighborhood Archive

• Administrator
  • Make-Believe Neighbor
    • The Neighborhood Archive
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 10:00:28 AM »
At this time, I don't have anything from 1196-1204.

ladyelainefairchilde

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 04:46:34 PM »
I've listen to 1204 recently and it was the tomorrow for the closing. No mention of Good Feeling explanation on any of it. Also 1196 does have mention of both Good Feeling and Tomorrow. Either he does something similar to what he did with 1459. Where he sings both songs, or it could be their isn't an explanation. Sometimes checking file summaries is not always accurate. For example on episode 1294 they do not list the song I Hope It Will Rain in the contents. I've listen to it recently and Fred does sing that song. You can be sure the summaries on the neighborhood archive is 100% accurate.

lef  :) 8)

mjb1124

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 09:22:32 PM »
Maybe he didn't feel like he needed an introduction or elaborate explanation for the "Good Feeling/Weekend Song" combo because both songs were already sung regularly, and the latter song in particular (albeit in a longer, slightly different form) was already used to close out Friday episodes.    Whereas when "The Weekend Song" was introduced, it was a brand new song, and marked the first time that something other than "Tomorrow" was being used to close an episode.   Hence the need to give it a more formal introduction.

Of course, this is all assuming that 1205 is indeed the debut of the Good Feeling/Weekend Song closing.

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 06:40:24 PM »
Maybe he didn't feel like he needed an introduction or elaborate explanation for the "Good Feeling/Weekend Song" combo because both songs were already sung regularly, and the latter song in particular (albeit in a longer, slightly different form) was already used to close out Friday episodes.    Whereas when "The Weekend Song" was introduced, it was a brand new song, and marked the first time that something other than "Tomorrow" was being used to close an episode.   Hence the need to give it a more formal introduction.

Of course, this is all assuming that 1205 is indeed the debut of the Good Feeling/Weekend Song closing.

If I had to take a guess, I would say that 1196 was maybe the first time Good Feeling was used to close an episode.  It would make no sense to use the old version only once in the 1972 season, and never again.  So that leads me to think that it was the closing version that was used (or it wasn't used at all).

Does anyone know when the "grow 12 inches" line was changed to the "snappy new day" line?  I'm guessing the same time as when it became the closing song.  But could it have been earlier?

UUrselfRSpecial

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 11:24:27 PM »
I think I can answer that. The combination of both songs is sung the same way he sang it in the late 79 episodes.

In those episodes, there's nothing from the Weekend song.
Nicky

UUrselfRSpecial

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 11:30:58 PM »
As for Good Feeling and the Weekend Song, he just flows from one to the next as usual:

"...the feeling you know...that I'll be back...when the week is new..."

Does anyone know when he used "tomorrow's new" for Monday-Thursday episodes? Did that debut in the first Monday-Thursday episode after 1205, which I believe I heard was 1213 (or 1196)? I believe the earliest Monday - Thursday Good Feeling episode I've seen was 1326, and that used "day is new," so 1324 at the latest is the last one to use it (and 1324 does make sense, since it was the last Monday-Thursday episode of the season).

I'm starting to think that 12 inches was never in the closing song; it was just used when it wasn't the closing song, just like the second verse "it's such a good feeling to know you're in bloom; it's such a happy feeling to find you're in tune," and ending both verses with "we're friends" never was regularly, but used very few times, like in those 1979 episodes (and 1508 and 1530), and for those, not the second verse.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 09:39:17 AM by UUrselfRSpecial »
Nicky

UUrselfRSpecial

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 11:35:21 PM »

That makes sense. I wonder if there was an explanation in 1213, the first Monday-Thursday episode to use a version of the Weekend song, even though every mention of it being the weekend was taken out. But I doubt it, especially since it was taken out.

I think it was, since the combination was in 1245, not much later. And it also makes sense that it was the debut, and the other was only used in Starting School, 1508, 1530, and maybe some but very few pre-79s.
Nicky

UUrselfRSpecial

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2012, 11:37:30 PM »
I've listen to 1204 recently and it was the tomorrow for the closing.

Since the debut was likely to be 1205 but definitely not 1204, it doesn't make any sense to mention it in 1204. It would only make sense in 1196 or 1205, since either one was the debut. I'm thinking 1196 makes sense for both the debut and the explanation, since that kind of new development does make sense for a season premiere.
Nicky

UUrselfRSpecial

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2012, 11:49:16 PM »
If I had to take a guess, I would say that 1196 was maybe the first time Good Feeling was used to close an episode.  It would make no sense to use the old version only once in the 1972 season, and never again.  

Unless in 1196, like in all uses before it, it wasn't the closing song. But I really do think that it was, since as I said, it makes total sense for the season premiere.

So that leads me to think that it was the closing version that was used (or it wasn't used at all).

I really think that it was the closing in 1196, since even though it wasn't used in all episodes until much later, such a new development does make sense for a season premiere.

Does anyone know when the "grow 12 inches" line was changed to the "snappy new day" line?  I'm guessing the same time as when it became the closing song.  But could it have been earlier?

I really don't think it was earlier, since it makes sense to use one version for the closing song and another for the non-closing, just like the whole second verse and the "we're friends" line in both versions. Besides, it makes sense to have "snappy new day" be in the closing song only, since similar to how he used the tune from the Weekend song in the closing, having been in the closing before, "snappy" (and Fred snapping his fingers) was in the Tomorrow song (til then I hope your day is snappy, with unlike Good Feeling, the snap is immediately before the word, rather after the word and "new day"). So therefore, the Weekend song as the Weekend song in the Friday episodes from 1135 - 1200 (as well as whichever 1210 - 1240 episodes used it during the transition period) are the only times there's no word snappy or Fred snapping his fingers at the mention.
Nicky