Author Topic: parodies  (Read 5008 times)

bka

• Westwood Neighbor
parodies
« on: July 13, 2012, 10:16:41 AM »

Neighborhood Archive

• Administrator
  • Make-Believe Neighbor
    • The Neighborhood Archive
Re: parodies
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 08:17:16 PM »
You've probably seen some of these, Betty (and everyone else for that matter), but here's the running list of Parodies currently detailed on the Neighborhood Archive site:

http://www.neighborhoodarchive.com/misc/index.html#parodies

bka

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 07:56:40 PM »
thanks, Tim - I hadn't got that far....sorry to repeat.  Is Dr. Jeckyl & Mister Rogers (Bill Murray) SNL there? I couldn't find it online.  a current New Yorker Magazine cartoon had the same caption.

MrRogers143

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 07:24:19 AM »
Steven Simmons
   [Trolley]
[bdbdbdbd]
    o      o

mjb1124

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 11:38:47 AM »
The video for AWOLNation's new song "Kill Your Heroes" is a MRN parody of sorts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4MzF53je5M

(warning: includes some bleeped-out swear words and destructive behavior)

bka

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 12:34:20 PM »
:0)

Degeneration X The Owl

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 06:19:23 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVFuNB9L42Y

I know this is a few months late for a response, but there is a personal story to this.  As you can tell by my screen name, I am a huge wrestling nut. 

Way back in the 80s, I saw this for the first time, while doing so I was in a play by mail wrestling game call IWA (Imaginary Wrestling Association).  After I saw that SCTV skit, a huge idea occured to me to create wrestlers from the Neighborhood show.  Soooooooooo, hence, actual names that I used in fact, "Your Neighbor" Fred Rogers, "Speedy Delivery" Mr. McFeely, Chef Don Brockett, Handyman Joe Negri, Chuck "The Neighbor" Aber, The Opera Superstars (John Reardon and Francois Clemmons), and "The Dogfaced Troll" Bob Trow were born.  The females were used as ringside valets and interfere a lot, since the MRN stable were bad guys.

I had them do crazy thing like attacking others with loaded puppets and boomerang toomerang soomerangs, etc.  Yet at the same time maintain their mannerisms along with a lot of singing the songs in their promos. 

Years later I used them again in different e fed games, and won many a "championships" there.

They were so much fun to play using them.

bka

• Westwood Neighbor
Re: new one
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 11:08:24 PM »

Aaendi

• New to the Neighborhood
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2012, 01:51:17 PM »
There is a punk rock music video called "Kidnapkin Exposition" that features an evil version of Mr. Rogers.

WitherWing

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2012, 09:58:53 AM »
I finally found episodes of DC Follies online featuring the Mr. Rogers puppet!

"DC Follies" was an short-lived political satire from the late 80s starring Fred Willard as a bartender where politicians and other famous people stopped in -- or at least their puppet versions did. It was a Sid and Marty Kroft production (the guys who made HR Puffnstuff, Lidsville, and other surreal kids shows in the early 70s), and their puppets were quite fun.

The show itself could be hit and miss (and very dated by now!), but a few episodes are on Hulu and worth checking out. This one features "Mr. Rogers" explaining the '88 Candidates and how voting works. Start at around 11:40...

http://www.hulu.com/watch/66654#i0,p18,s1,d0

Neighborhood Archive

• Administrator
  • Make-Believe Neighbor
    • The Neighborhood Archive
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2012, 09:03:59 PM »
Great find! I had completely forgotten about DC Follies until now. If I remember right, these puppets were used in a Genesis video as well...Land of Confusion, I think.

WitherWing

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2012, 06:54:26 AM »
The Genesis video used the "Spitting Image" puppets, a very similar concept in the UK. I don't think they had a Mr. Rogers puppet, but hearing him with a British accent would be funny.

DC Follies had Mr. Rogers on a few times, including a gag about his trip to the USSR where his set was heavily bugged.