Author Topic: Puppet Refurbishing  (Read 7320 times)

RogersFan82

• New to the Neighborhood
Puppet Refurbishing
« on: June 20, 2012, 09:23:59 AM »
I know sometime in the mid 70's several of the puppets were remade.  Most noticeably, the king, queen, and Lady Elaine, looked different.  The king and queens faces looked shinier and cleaner (the queen looks like she is wearing more "makeup") and Lady Elaine's outfit and hairstyle changed.  I think Daniel's facial expression also changed slightly as well at this time.  Does anyone know exactly when this happened?  i'm thinking it was around 1974 or 75.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 09:26:48 AM by RogersFan82 »

RogersFan82

Re: Puppet Refurbishing
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 07:28:56 PM »
So I actually went through the Neighborhood Archive a bit after posting this since I hadn't heard any responses yet, and from what I can tell it was done at the beginning of 1975.  Based on screen grabs on the site, it's a little difficult to tell but I'm pretty sure that it is correct.

JAO93

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 12:52:09 AM »
I would think the original puppets were quite worn at that time, hence the "make overs". Can't think of any other reasons.

Paul

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 05:28:00 PM »
Ah, so it isn't just me. I've thought the same thing.

Lady_Elaine

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 04:23:05 PM »
In the earlier pre79 episodes, King Friday had a smaller less ornate crown, in the post-79 episodes, his crown had jewels in it and was much larger. Also, in the pre-79s, Henrietta Pussycat was much darker, almost black. By the end of the series, she was a light gray. Daniel Tiger also had more visible stripes in the pre-79 shows, in the modern shows, he was much lighter. Perhaps the biggest change in appearance for the puppets was Lady Elaine. In the pre-79s, she often wore a brown blouse, and her hair was wild and messy. In around 1975 she began wearing the red sweater that she kept for the rest of the series. Also, her hair went from being wild and messy to a more slicked down look.

Eric S

• Westwood Neighbor
    • The ol' sketchbook
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 02:35:03 AM »
I seem to remember seeing 2 different Corny puppets- very very close, but one seemed to have a slightly open mouth and the other didn't. I'll have to dig around and find the clip with the open mouth. I'm sure it was black and white.

Paul

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 01:54:24 PM »

(P.S. During the Discipline week Corny's necktie is tied into a bowtie and his hair becomes neater.)

I suspect as we will discover exactly when these puppet changes took place as Tim uncovers more episodes...

bka

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 03:37:56 PM »
good eye, Eric! thanks Paul!

Prince_of_Somewhere_Else

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 08:29:58 AM »
I think the change of the Lady Elaine puppet was good.
It meant she was growing up taking on the job as Museum-Go-Round director, also it meant running the MGR-TV station. She had to make herself more presentable.
She still had her moments of mischief.

JCostaThePro

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2013, 11:32:49 AM »
Perhaps the biggest change in appearance for the puppets was Lady Elaine. In the pre-79s, she often wore a brown blouse, and her hair was wild and messy. In around 1975 she began wearing the red sweater that she kept for the rest of the series. Also, her hair went from being wild and messy to a more slicked down look.

Though in 1355 and 1361 she had the red sweater.

bjdwsm

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2017, 12:19:35 PM »
Watching the marathon, it looks like all the major puppets got refurbished/replaced for the 1975 season.

I think Donkey Hodie was a different puppet in the few post-79 shows he appeared in. They changed the Prince Tuesday puppet a couple of times too.