Author Topic: Rank Your Top 5 Favorite Operas. GO!  (Read 4210 times)

Degeneration X The Owl

• Westwood Neighbor
Rank Your Top 5 Favorite Operas. GO!
« on: June 18, 2012, 11:01:18 PM »
#5.  Key To Otherland:

Wonderful concept ala Alice In Wonderland.  Bert Lloyd, who plays the dude captured by Wicked Witch Lady Elaine, was surprisingly good.  Wish he would've done more operas.

#4.  All In The Laundry:

A charming and innocent performance by John Reardon's portrayal of the overworked Gillespe.  Francois Clemmons' song still is catchy with "Fill up Your Camera"

#3.  A Star For Kitty:

Some of the best written opera songs comes from this one.

#2.  Windstorm In Bubbleland:

After being so use to seeing Lady Elaine as the villain, out comes Joe Negri as the notorious Wind or W. I. Norton Donovan (where did Fred come up with that name)  Great lil character twist there.  Would love to read some of Betty's stories in the making of this one.

#!:  Spoon Mountain:

Something I refer to as the Hamlet of the Freddish Operas in terms of power.  Betty Green was the heart, Extra Ordinary was the soul, and IMO, the storyteller was the backbone. 

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
Re: Rank Your Top 5 Favorite Operas. GO!
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 11:06:02 PM »
#5.  Key To Otherland:

Wonderful concept ala Alice In Wonderland.  Bert Lloyd, who plays the dude captured by Wicked Witch Lady Elaine, was surprisingly good.  Wish he would've done more operas.

That was possibly my favorite opera (although I love all of the ones I've seen; I haven't seen them all).  Bert Lloyd had a really good voice, so I wouldn't say that his performance was "surprising".

bka

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 11:27:44 AM »
Degen, I was in "I'm Getting My Act Together & Taking It On The Road" off-broadway, at the time of Bubbleland - still have the Betty sweater & wear it when the weather is chill. I cut up plastic bubbles to make earrings.  Francois was very uncomfortable in the virtual straitjacket of his porpoise costume, and playing the comedy with the phones was such fun with Reardon. Joe Negri was a wonderful villain, and was in a harness winched up in the air before he made his entrance as the wind...once again my character's schtick was self-righteous indignation! :0)  such a profound message underneath the fun of the commercials about protecting bubbles with spray sweater...and having someone close to a cousin of mine just lose her house & all its posessions in the Fort Collins CO fire, been thinking about how people are much more important than bubbles. again the theme of how powerful a small creature can be...and how important children are, and how they tell the truth to power. and on and on.....   

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 11:40:16 AM »
Just out of curiosity, did you get to keep other opera costumes, and clothes from episodes?  Do you still wear any of them, or just the Bubbleland sweater?  What about other people from the show?  I've often wondered what ever became of, for example, the Bob Dog costume after Bob Trow passed away.

Also, did Fred's mother knit the sweater that you wore in Bubbleland?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 10:41:57 PM by mitsguy2001 »

Degeneration X The Owl

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 01:09:07 PM »
Joe Negri was a wonderful villain, and was in a harness winched up in the air before he made his entrance as the wind

How many takes did it take to get his landing right?  Harnessed scenes are awfully difficult to get right.

UUrselfRSpecial

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 11:33:02 PM »
Here are mine:

1. Key to Otherland
2. Windstorm in Bubbleland
3. A Granddad for Daniel
4. Spoon Mountain
5. Pineapples & Tomatoes
Nicky

bka

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 09:12:25 PM »
more likely I brought my own clothing which was used as a costume. keeping the gray sweater was kind of unusual. machine-made, not Fredmother-made.

you'd have to ask Joe Negri about the harness, # of takes.

UUrselfRSpecial

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 11:54:51 AM »
you'd have to ask Joe Negri about the harness, # of takes.

I wish we could get in touch with him! Any chance he posts here?
Nicky

UUrselfRSpecial

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 11:59:20 AM »
By the way, I'm thinking in Windstorm in Bubbleland, even though it's not implied, and although it's interspecies and of course she's much smaller than he is, Robert Redgate and Hildegarde Hummingbird get together (and that could also be considered the reunion of the farmer and his wife from Potato Bugs & Cows). (Hey, if human Grandpa Mefford can marry a starfish, why can't his portrayer, also a human character, marry a hummingbird?) Do you like that idea? From the way the story goes, those two look like they're a couple in the making.
Nicky

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 04:04:26 PM »
more likely I brought my own clothing which was used as a costume. keeping the gray sweater was kind of unusual. machine-made, not Fredmother-made.

Betty, did you have to supply all of your clothing in the show, or just in the operas?  I could be wrong, but for some reason, I thought I read that the style of clothing that you had to wear on the show (at least in the regular episodes) wasn't the style that you typically wore in real life.  Were all of the other opera costumes (other than the sweater) ones that you wore in real life?  Even the cow and cat costumes?