Author Topic: "It's You I Like" Lyric Change  (Read 4450 times)

RogersFan82

• New to the Neighborhood
"It's You I Like" Lyric Change
« on: June 11, 2012, 06:01:58 PM »
Does any know when the line changed from "when you're blue" to "when you're FEELING blue"?  I can't seem to find any evidence of the original version anywhere but I definitely remember it like that from the older episodes when I was younger...I'm thinking it was changed sometime in 1970 or 71.  Anyone know when this happened or does anyone have any episodes or clips with the original version?  Thanks!

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
Re: "It's You I Like" Lyric Change
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 06:18:29 PM »
I don't have an answer to your question.  But it wasn't 1970 or 1971, since the song wasn't even written until 1971.  It was first used in Episode 1133.  I have no recollection of an old version of that song, but I'll trust you that it was used.

RogersFan82

• New to the Neighborhood
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 07:15:46 PM »
I just looked on the Neighborhood Archive and the first documented episode to use the song was 1176.  i just went back and looked at the episode on DVD that I have and it was already "feeling blue."  So I'm thinking the other version I remember may have only been the first few time he sang it in 1971.  Does anyone else remember the version that just said "when you're blue" or is it just me imagining things?

galenfott

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 08:25:11 PM »
I believe I remember just "when you're blue". Perhaps it was changed so kids wouldn't think they might turn the same color as X the Owl!

MrRogers143

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 10:37:19 PM »
This doesn't have to do with the lyrics, but listen to this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmGZcroVHV8
Steven Simmons
   [Trolley]
[bdbdbdbd]
    o      o

bka

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 08:47:54 PM »
what a lovely video of Kayla singing! thanks for posting it!  I think clarifying the meaning of the expression "I'm blue" may have been the reason for the change. the change also required the addition of 2 more notes for the syllables of "feeling".  I liked the first best, for it was so simple, but we were always fine tuning for the sake of the children.

Jazzman67

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 04:01:20 PM »