Author Topic: A Star For Kitty  (Read 8972 times)

Jazzman67

• Southwood Neighbor
Re: A Star For Kitty
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2012, 04:35:07 AM »
Nope.. Readon was a great addition to the operas done in the Neighborhood, but musically, I think Josefine stands out as one of Fred Rogers' best musicals written. They usually say.. sabve the best ones for last. In this case, I believe that to be true.

Another opera I  enjoyed was Potato Bugs and Cows. I remember that plot the best of the ones I don't have recorded. The others from the earlier years I vaguely remember. I think the Grandfather opera was a fun one, too. One of my favorite songs comes from that opera: When the day turns into night. Holly Yarbrough sanga a wonderful rendition of that song. Readon sang that song, too.

UUrselfRSpecial

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2012, 04:23:52 AM »
Nope.. Readon was a great addition to the operas done in the Neighborhood, but musically, I think Josefine stands out as one of Fred Rogers' best musicals written. They usually say.. sabve the best ones for last. In this case, I believe that to be true.

Although I really think that they may not have known at the time that it would be the last opera. Maybe they thought operas without Reardon would work, but after Josephine, they realized they wouldn't. However on that quote, that could easily apply to pre-79 operas, since Key to Otherland was the best, and Fred could have easily thought that would be the last opera, since he thought both after 1455 and 1460 that it would be the series finale.

Nicky

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2012, 04:01:11 PM »
I'm guessing that Fred wanted to do Josephine as a tribute to Reardon, but otherwise didn't want any operas without Reardon.  It also seems that both Fred and PBS lost interst in the operas for other reasons.

UUrselfRSpecial

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2012, 01:16:55 AM »
I'm guessing that Fred wanted to do Josephine as a tribute to Reardon, but otherwise didn't want any operas without Reardon. 

That does make sense, and 1610 was dedicated to Reardon.

It also seems that both Fred and PBS lost interst in the operas for other reasons.

I never heard that. What would those other reasons be?
Nicky

bka

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2012, 08:59:29 AM »
I don't believe had Fred intended Josephine, out front, to be a tribute to Reardon - but that Reardon's death, coinciding in time with the taping of Josephine (which went so far overtime in elaborate production that it had to be parceled out for 3 (?) days, something we had never done) made it natural that the work should be dedicated to him.

MrRogers143

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2012, 10:16:48 AM »
Hey Betty, if Reardon was going to be in Josephine, what character would he have played?
Steven Simmons
   [Trolley]
[bdbdbdbd]
    o      o

UUrselfRSpecial

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2012, 10:58:06 AM »
Hey Betty, if Reardon was going to be in Josephine, what character would he have played?

That I'm thinking would have to be JR Giraffe. Yes, Chuck is much younger than Reardon, and Betty and Reardon have never played characters who were either friends or love interests in the post-75 operas, but since they did a lot in the pre-79 operas, I'm sure Fred had the idea that they'd reunite. Though I do wonder who Chuck would have played, as well as who would be in it.

By the way, do you realize that the last part of Josephine, as well as 1505 (Spoon Mountain), are the only post-75 episodes (and I wouldn't be surprised episodes in general) where Fred plays only one role?
Nicky

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2012, 11:26:06 AM »
About PBS and Fred losing interest in the operas: it seemed that PBS felt they were more entertaining than educational.  Maybe Betty can ellaborate more about why PBS and Fred lost interest in them.  Losing interest in the operas was a mistake, in my humble opinion.

I'm almost certain that Josey Carey was the original Josephine and Reardon was the original JR.  In another thread, Betty mentioned that in the late 60s, they created an album version of that opera, and Betty's role in that was Katherine Koala, who was not in the 1989 version.  It seems that every version of Josephine had slightly different characters, perhaps to take into account the real-life personalities of the actors playing them.

If the 1989 version was to have both John Reardon and Chuck Aber, then I'm guessing Chuck would have had either a character that was deleted from the 1989 version, or maybe Fred would have created a new character based on his personality.  Although, Josephine and JR were intended to be peers, but there is a 12 year age difference between Betty and Reardon.  So maybe Chuck would have had the JR Giraffe role, since he is probably (I don't know when he was born) closer in age to Betty than John Reardon was.  In the original, Josie Carey and John Reardon are almost exactly the same age (both born in 1930).

I don't think Josephine and JR were intended to be boyfriend and girlfriend.  They seemed too young to be dating.

bka

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2012, 11:56:06 PM »
I don't think Chuck Aber likes to give out his birth date.

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2012, 03:49:59 PM »
I don't think Chuck Aber likes to give out his birth date.

That is fine; I wasn't asking for his birthdate.  I was just saying that he appears to be much closer in age to you than John Reardon was (Reardon was 12 years older than you).  Since Josephine and JR were clearly intended to be classmates (from what I remember), and Josie Carey and John Reardon were almost exactly the same age (both born in 1930), then it is very possible that Chuck Aber still would have played JR even if Reardon was still alive (assuming they still had you play Josephine).