Author Topic: A Star For Kitty  (Read 8980 times)

JAO93

• Southwood Neighbor
A Star For Kitty
« on: June 10, 2012, 03:15:16 PM »
I saw this episode today (first opera I've seen in years). A fun episode, very nice acting and settings as well. I like the half moon's "hub" especially!

Does anyone else remember this opera, or any others? What are your views/memories of these Opera episodes?

MrRogers143

• Westwood Neighbor
Re: A Star For Kitty
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 03:21:55 PM »
My first opera I remember seeing was A Grandad for Daniel. I remember the opera you're refering to. I like watching these operas, because they aren't like any other Mister Rogers episodes.
Steven Simmons
   [Trolley]
[bdbdbdbd]
    o      o

bka

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 09:48:01 PM »
not pleased with my performance in this, and miserably unhappy in my costume, thought make-up could have been better....but beautiful music, lovely opera. Winston Marcalis (sp?) was offered the part of Other Half Moon, but turned it down as I remember.

OperaLover

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 11:33:31 AM »
Betty, I have not logged in to this forum much lately but just did now specifically to comment on Star For Kitty.
I just watched it with my little girl who btw, was delighted by every aspect of it.
I live in the Chicago area and it is only within the last few months that WYCC a PBS affiliate has acquired MRN!

We still had the show scheduled from years back to automatically record on channel 11, Chicago's main PBS station, WTTW.
Suddenly, we had a a Sunday broadcast recorded!!
What a shock to find it had been recorded without us even expecting it!
It is back on the real airwaves in Chicago after having nothing for I think almost 4 years now!

It is painstakingly slow to only get a single 6 am Sunday episode, but still, it's BACK and that is wonderful for everyone!

It took 5 weeks to get the full week and today we watched part 5, the opera.
I think you looked gorgeous in costume but I bet you were hot wearing it!

The other star puppets were very cute dressed as stars.
You sang beautifully as always and your smile was bright and definitely twinkling.
I even felt a twinge of lump in throat and tearing up at the last scene where you stepped out of the house and with camera full above you, you looked up.
Wow, what a wonderful angle for that shot!

And then you have the shot of the waving to the twinkling stars against the added blue sky.
I have no idea, but that last scene really touched me.
Enough to come up here, find my link and log in to comment on it.
Thank you for your efforts in this one so very much.
I loved it.
It has been a long time since I last saw this one and I really enjoyed it as did my daughter.
She was all smiles and singing the numbers along with the players.

I think your performance was very well executed.
Don't feel bad about the costume or makeup. You looked great!
Sage noticed a cute little white heart drawn on your forehead and she really smiled about that little extra.

bka

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 08:28:32 PM »
oh! I'm so glad Sage noticed it! I don't think anyone else ever has.  And thanks for your kind words. I love the moment when Kitty calls and says "I hear there is some trouble in the sky" (not sure of exact lyrics) & Half Moon (Reardon) says "Kitty, you've been dreaming" and Kitty says: "I know, but is it true or is it not true?" & Daniel hiding in the superbright toothpaste is so wonderful & original! the beautiful concept of "tiny star".  akin to twinkle twinkle little star - and we have all heard the Kingly Lyrics for that!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 11:15:22 AM by bka »

Dais79

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 09:23:44 PM »
bka, I agree with OperaLover wholeheartedly.  We love "A Star for Kitty".  We have seen it many times and just watched it again last week, my two year old is really starting to get into the operas and he keeps asking me to sing "kitty songs".  Your performances are lovely in all of the operas.  You seem to possess such grace and humility that I am sure that you don't even realize how talented you are!!  You have a lovely voice and can transform into any character in a believable way. We're really into Potato Bugs and Cows right now around my house! You crack us up in that one with the little potato bug dance.  :)
"You know, I think everybody longs to be loved, and longs to know that he or she is lovable. And, consequently, the greatest thing that we can do is to help somebody know that they're loved and capable of loving."
- Fred Rogers

earnhardtfan4life

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 10:46:40 PM »
I would like to see them (pbs studios) do a remix involving the operas in some way:  "Suppose we concentrate....."  It would be a fitting tribute to Fred, Reardon and all the others who were in all of the operas. 

bka

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 11:17:29 AM »
glad, Dais! Pricilla attempting to "boogie-down". :0)

UUrselfRSpecial

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 11:53:10 AM »
How about this: We need a very special Priscilla the cow and a warm Josephine the Shot-Neck Giraffe!
Nicky

UUrselfRSpecial

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 11:59:28 AM »
And how about this:

Have you ever heard of a giraffe turned co-o-ow
A cat turned cow
A tiger turned cow
Have you ever heard of a mother of a tiger turned co-o-ow?
No I've never heard of such

At least, that is, since I've seen a certain someone play them in operas and in her first week as director of research. But something tells me you might have, Betty!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 12:28:25 PM by UUrselfRSpecial »
Nicky

UUrselfRSpecial

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 11:38:33 PM »
not pleased with my performance in this, and miserably unhappy in my costume, thought make-up could have been better....but beautiful music, lovely opera. Winston Marcalis (sp?) was offered the part of Other Half Moon, but turned it down as I remember.

I didn't realize Wynton Marsalis was offered Other Half Moon!!!!! It makes complete sense though since he was in that week. How unfair! Not that Paul Spencer Adkins was bad though.

Interestingly enough, here's something I wonder if any of you could pick up on. Of the two half moons, Half Moon's looked like this: C| (best I could draw it) and Other Half Moon's looked like this: D. The former is the waning moon (between full moon and new moon) and the latter, waxing (between new moon and full moon). And amazingly, Reardon was also waning since it was his last opera role and he died only 2 years later. Do you think that could have possibly been intentional for that reason? Betty, what do you think of that idea?

Also, Betty, do you remember that you tell Henrietta during that week that your birthday is December 30?
Nicky

bka

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 09:18:10 PM »
I always thought of Half-Moon & Other Half-Moon as One, ie. together they would have made one Full-Moon - this made sense in terms of racial equality & union among other things.  the moon is an orb even when you can't see the dark side as well as the light shape.  never thought about waxing or waning.

was thinking of a comment Fred once made, half-jokingly in which he said he himself was a combination of Arsenio Hall & Albert Schweitzer.

bka

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 09:19:38 PM »
I always thought of Half-Moon & Other Half-Moon as One, ie. together they would have made one Full-Moon - this made sense in terms of racial equality & union among other things.  the moon is an orb even when you can't see the dark side as well as the light shape.  never thought about waxing or waning.

was thinking of a comment Fred once made, half-jokingly in which he said he himself was a combination of Arsenio Hall & Albert Schweitzer.

Jazzman67

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 05:10:44 PM »
I've always found it amusing that one part of the opera, the part where Readon sings about Tiny Star, that it's actually based on the older tune, Find a Star, from the King Friday Celebrates. I imediately recognozed the similarity in the song. I don't remember if that song was co-wrtiten by Josie Carey or not. I did enjoy the Opera, A Star For Kitty.  I loved Wynton Marsalis's appearance on the program earlier in the week, and that remains one of my favorite Jazz segments from the program.

My all time favorite opera is Josephine the short Necked Giraph, which was originally written as a French opera for a college project!

UUrselfRSpecial

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2012, 05:31:05 PM »
My all time favorite opera is Josephine the short Necked Giraph, which was originally written as a French opera for a college project!

What's your favorite Reardon opera? I can't believe your favorite isn't a Reardon opera!
Nicky