Author Topic: Mister Rogers Remixed  (Read 17635 times)

Neighborhood Archive

• Administrator
  • Make-Believe Neighbor
    • The Neighborhood Archive
Mister Rogers Remixed
« on: June 07, 2012, 10:15:11 AM »
If you've not seen this video from PBS Digital Studios yet, you need to stop what you're doing right now and watch it.

http://youtu.be/OFzXaFbxDcM

So awesome.

I've probably watched this ten times already this morning.

MrRogers143

• Westwood Neighbor
Re: Mister Rogers Remixed
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 04:58:41 PM »
Cool!
Steven Simmons
   [Trolley]
[bdbdbdbd]
    o      o

mjb1124

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 02:59:10 PM »
I love this!  It's definitely a great new way to spread Mister Rogers' message to the masses, and very catchy to boot.

galenfott

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 10:33:19 PM »
I remember yesterday morning it was at 320 views. Now it's over 1 million!

Tim, how possible would it be to break this down and ID which episodes it draws from? I'm fascinated at how musical it is, and it would be really interesting to hear those lines without the auto-tuning. Sort of "deconstruct" it, if you know what I mean.

Neighborhood Archive

• Administrator
  • Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 07:02:56 AM »
I thought about that. I have a feeling that most of the clips came from a very small number of episodes.

galenfott

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 11:47:32 AM »
The "song" seems to draw from 5 episodes:

1. green sweater, purple or dark blue tie
The tape recorder, "Do you ever imagine things?", the finger snapping

2. purple sweater, red tie
"Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind?"

3. very bright purple sweater, blue tie
"Imagine every person that you see is somewhat different..."

4. paler purple sweater, blue tie, much younger than #3
"Some can do some things...", "Mr. Mc Feely...I didn't order any whistles"

5. blue sweater, blue tie
"There are so many things to learn about in this world..."

And most of the "B-roll" stuff seems to draw from these 5 episodes, with some other episodes mixed in as well.

galenfott

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 01:40:47 PM »
I've found episode numbers for all of the 5:

« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 02:08:57 PM by galenfott »

galenfott

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 04:48:19 PM »
It was like a snowball rolling downhill...I couldn't stop myself...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-eA_HxeCfI

Neighborhood Archive

• Administrator
  • Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2012, 07:22:32 PM »
Very nice!

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2012, 09:41:16 PM »
That was very interesting.  Thanks for posting that!  Just out of curiosity, was it sung by someone else and Autotuned to sound like Fred?  Or was it created by splicing together Fred's lines from various episodes?

galenfott

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2012, 10:36:19 PM »
I believe the first step is to auto-tune Fred's voice so that he's "singing". Then I believe the pitches and speed were manipulated a little to get them to fit with the musical base.

UUrselfRSpecial

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2012, 12:50:24 AM »
I went to tvguide.com and found this. Watch it and let me know what you think:

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Mr-Rogers-Autotune-Video-1048714.aspx

What's interesting is they say that this is a modernization of MRN, but I completely disagree. From both the words and the style of the song, there's nothing suggesting, in my mind, that it couldn't be from 2001 when the show ended or even 1968 when the show began. Also, for the record, as for the episodes featured in this video that I can remember, it starts with 1534 (Thursday of Grandparents, 5/10/84), and then after that, over the course of the song begins, it's mostly 1751 - 1755 (Curiosity, 2/21 - 2/25/00, mostly the Monday (1751) and Wednesday (1753) of that week), which makes it even more interesting that they say modernization, since that's late in the series (third to last week), but they also include 1563 (Wednesday of Celebrations, 5/7/86) and 1653 (Wednesday of Learning 8/26/92), since that's when the paper streamer is up, and though it's up until 1655, he's wearing the same cardigan as he is before it's put up as he is when it's already up. I don't remember at this point which episodes the slide trombone with Mr. McFeely on the porch are from, as well as the one where Fred is with those kids making that food, but I'm guessing both are late in the series, maybe both in fact from Curiosity. Can any of you answer what episodes those are from, as well as correct me on episodes if I have them wrong, and let me know any episodes I may have omitted?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 07:36:24 AM by TL »
Nicky

galenfott

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2012, 08:26:07 AM »
My only goal was to reconstruct (or deconstruct) the "song", so I just identified the 5 episodes from which his voice is used. My list above is correct in that regard. But it wouldn't surprise me if the entire video drew only from those 5. I'm pretty sure the "red sweater" location clips are in there, and they just weren't as careful or concerned in later years with Fred's sweater continuity between "location" and "home" segments. I also definitely remember seeing the closeup of Henrietta in one of them.

bka

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2012, 10:27:02 AM »
you all are staggering in your knowledge-of & exegesis of the shows over time.  whew!  & also wow!  kudos!!!!

galenfott

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2012, 01:26:14 PM »
Thank you BKA, I am honored by your comment! I am totally "out of my league" here in terms of encyclopedic knowledge of the show, but not in terms of loving it! I just watched the video a bunch of times, and found clues like Wynton Marsalis's appearance to help me Google and ID the episodes. This website also helped enormously; I only found the actual "garden of your mind" clip by clicking through Tim's episode guide and looking at the screen grabs.

This, I feel, is one of the very best things about the Internet. With this site, and sites like Muppet Wiki, it's like a beautiful grassroots effort to "catalog the world".