Author Topic: Purple Panda  (Read 11698 times)

HenriettaPussycat

• New to the Neighborhood
Purple Panda
« on: June 01, 2012, 10:35:23 AM »
Along similar lines as another recent post, I was wondering where the idea for the Purple Panda came from.  If I'm correct, I believe that Purple Panda was introduced to demonstrate the importance of diversity (since he came from Planet Purple, where everyone was the same).  According to the main website, the first episode that Purple Panda was seen in was 1466, but the plot summary doesn't mention anything about that theme.  I may be mistaken, but I seem to think that the episode that discussed this theme with Purple Panda was one of the operas.  Does anyone have any ideas about the origin of Purple Panda/Planet Purple, and which episode discussed diversity using these characters?
HP ^..^

ladyelainefairchilde

• Westwood Neighbor
Re: Purple Panda
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 11:07:19 AM »
I believe Purple Panda was first seen during the 1282-1285 week. The day after the neighborhood
variety talent show. Purple Panda has appear on and off before the 1466-1470 Superheroes week.
Purple Panda was also seeon 1414 from 1975. He is the one who ping Joe Negri to The Land of Allmine
to bring back Daniel & Lady Aberlin. When Tim gets to 1237-1240 hopefully we'll see if Paul & Pauline
do appear during those episodes. I don't think Purple Panda does appear during those. Hope i have
been of some help.

lef  :)

Jazzman67

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 01:13:16 PM »
The first appearance of Purple Panda was when he, Purple Paul and Pauline appeared in the Neighborhood fpr a visit in the Neighborhood. Lady Elaine had discovered Planet Purple, a place where everything was the same. Ledgend has it that Purple Panda had done something wrong, and he couldn't return back to Planet Purple. So he became a reoccuring character in the Neighborhood of Make-Believe.

Mr. Rogers also read a book about Lady Elaine's discovery. And the focus of the story was to illustrate how uninteresting the world would be if everything was the same.

HenriettaPussycat

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 01:34:40 PM »
Many thanks for the informative responses, LEF and Jazzman67.  I'd heard before that Lady Elaine discovered Planet Purple through her telescope.  I wonder which episode that occurred in.

I'd also heard about PP not being able to return to his Planet Purple because of having done something wrong, though I forget exactly what it was.  I think it had something to do with what he did when he was in the NOMB.  I believe I also heard somewhere that PP was able to return to his home planet by way of a rocking chair, however, which was not the normal way (I think the normal way was to be beamed up).  My memory of the details here are fuzzy, since all of my information is secondhand; I don't believe that these episodes were airing when I was watching Mister Rogers as a child (late '80's-early 90's).

Did PP reside in NOMB permanently after visiting, or did he reside on Planet Purple and just visit NOMB occasionally?
HP ^..^

Jazzman67

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 05:39:16 PM »
Actually, I think that the reason why PP couldn't return back tp Planet Purple was because he sat in a rocking chair. That's what I remember of the story in the NOMB.

HenriettaPussycat

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 09:27:51 PM »
I think you're right.  I knew the rocking chair had something to do with that storyline...
HP ^..^

bka

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 08:09:44 AM »
without knowing, I had two contradictory responses to Purple Panda -  I thought that Planet Purple referred in a subliminal way to China, and Communism - everyone having to abide by a sameness....because pandas were associated with China & bamboo to feed them

and

I wondered whether Paul and Pauline had anything to do with theology....

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 11:21:28 AM »
without knowing, I had two contradictory responses to Purple Panda -  I thought that Planet Purple referred in a subliminal way to China, and Communism - everyone having to abide by a sameness....because pandas were associated with China & bamboo to feed them

and

I wondered whether Paul and Pauline had anything to do with theology....

Those theories both make sense.  Of those 2, probably the Communism theory makes more sense.  I'm guessing purple was chosen, since that is not a skin color that any people have in real life.

What I wonder is, if Lady Elaine's obsession with the color red in Episode 1125 (Pineapples and Tomatoes opera) had anything to do with communism.  Interestingly, there was a much later episode where she said her favorite color was red, even though she seemed to be more commonly obsessed with purple.

HenriettaPussycat

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 09:12:24 PM »
I agree that the theory re: communism is interesting.  It seems that it would coincide with the later years of the Cold War, given that the first introduction of PP and Planet Purple was in episode 1466, which aired in 1980.

My initial take on the residents of Planet Purple, as I mentioned in the OP, was that it was intended as an allegory for the importance of racial/ethnic diversity.  This would fit with the observation about purple being chosen because it was not a human skin color.  While the dates aren't necessarily coincidental with the civil rights movement, I don't think this is necessarily evidence against this possibility, given that racial/ethnic diversity is on ongoing issue in US society--much more so than Communism.
HP ^..^

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2012, 09:58:58 PM »
I agree that the theory re: communism is interesting.  It seems that it would coincide with the later years of the Cold War, given that the first introduction of PP and Planet Purple was in episode 1466, which aired in 1980.

My initial take on the residents of Planet Purple, as I mentioned in the OP, was that it was intended as an allegory for the importance of racial/ethnic diversity.  This would fit with the observation about purple being chosen because it was not a human skin color.  While the dates aren't necessarily coincidental with the civil rights movement, I don't think this is necessarily evidence against this possibility, given that racial/ethnic diversity is on ongoing issue in US society--much more so than Communism.

The first introduction of planet purple was actually around 1972 or so.  Not sure of the exact year, but quite a while before 1980.  It could have been a combination of communism and diversity.  Betty also thinks that Paul was a reference to St. Paul.  That could be.  But my guess is that Paul and Pauline were chosen since they begin with P, as does Purple, Planet, and Panda.  Maybe nothing that didn't start with P was allowed.

Paul

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 05:39:31 PM »
If you haven't read this book I highly recommend it! It also has an tape of Mister Rogers reading it.
http://www.fcistore.org/proddetail.asp?prod=RHBC1

silentxero

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2012, 07:04:15 AM »
BKA,
    That's a great interpretation of Planet Purple! :) I always thought Purple Paulie, Purple Pauline and Panda were kinda disturbing due to their
robotic actions and monotone voices. It would make sense that Planet Purple would be a place where everyone had to conform and definitely
reflects communism. It was very clever of Mr. R and the writers to create this allegory without alarming the FBC that MRN was becoming too
political! Mr. R also dismisses it by simply saying how boring it would be that everyone had to be the same, act the same, dress the same....,
just very brilliant to put such a "political" topic in such a way.

bka

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2012, 10:10:28 AM »
:0)   

sriv94

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2017, 10:03:42 AM »
Did Fred do the voice of Purple Panda?  That was one I was never quite sure about.
Doug
---
All of the good signatures have been taken.

bjdwsm

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2017, 08:03:53 AM »
I think Dave Nohling and Matt Meko did the voice from inside the costume.

Any idea who did the voices of Paul and Pauline?