Author Topic: 45 Year Anniversary?  (Read 11022 times)

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
Re: 45 Year Anniversary?
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2012, 09:54:15 PM »
Katherine Koala was a character on the LP record who was a student @ the School For Growing. She had a scene with Bob Trow as Sam the Snake in which she helped him realize he could hiss, and he helped her to see that although she thought she was a Honey Bear (& hated honey), her father had actually been a Koala, and so was she. I was already playing Lady Aberlin, having replaced Judy Knaiz (Lady JudyKnaiz - may not have her last name spelled correctly)

That is the answer I was looking for.  Do you know why Judy Knaiz was not in the MRN that aired nationally?  Did she not want to continue, or did Fred not want her to continue?  From what I can tell, there was no explanation given in Episodes 1-5 for you to replace her.

and was given the part of Katherine just for this recording session. The character was later dropped from the script of Josephine in which Chuck Aber & I played J.R. Giraffe & Josephine. Whether K.K. was part of the original story I do not know.

I wonder why that character was replaced.  I also wonder who she was named after, since I'm not aware of any MRN cast members named Katherine.

bka

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2012, 10:45:05 AM »
no idea who Kathrin was named after.  always thought it a veiled reference (there were so many over the years) to my own experience - feeling a failure in trying to like the things my mother liked, without thinking that perhaps I might be more like my (absent) father. I'm sure had other children of divorce heard it they would have identified as I did.

I had come from New York (where I appeared in satirical revues at a then-famous club called Upstairs at the Downstairs) - I came to Pittsburgh with a company of The Mad Show.  And Judy Knaiz (you can see her in the film Hello Dolly) was headed out of Pittsburgh to the very same club, to be a performer there. I had known Don Francks, because I had heard him sing some of Fred's songs in his nightclub act, and had inquired about them. So Fred and I already had one friend in common. And I was intrigued by the songs...

Judy Knaiz can probably be located in Pittsburgh. I believe she lives there now.

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2012, 06:58:41 PM »
no idea who Kathrin was named after.  always thought it a veiled reference (there were so many over the years) to my own experience - feeling a failure in trying to like the things my mother liked, without thinking that perhaps I might be more like my (absent) father. I'm sure had other children of divorce heard it they would have identified as I did.

I'm guessing that character wasn't in the MRN version of that story, since Fred logically wanted you to be Josephine, since she was the lead.

I had come from New York (where I appeared in satirical revues at a then-famous club called Upstairs at the Downstairs) - I came to Pittsburgh with a company of The Mad Show.  And Judy Knaiz (you can see her in the film Hello Dolly) was headed out of Pittsburgh to the very same club, to be a performer there. I had known Don Francks, because I had heard him sing some of Fred's songs in his nightclub act, and had inquired about them. So Fred and I already had one friend in common. And I was intrigued by the songs...

Judy Knaiz can probably be located in Pittsburgh. I believe she lives there now.

I remember you had mentioned Don Francks in your interview.  I don't remember if you said he was in the show with you or if he was in the audience with Fred.

bka

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2012, 10:05:10 AM »
Don Francks played a character named Mr. Anybodys, in Canada and in early MRN shows taped in Pgh.

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2012, 11:14:40 AM »
Don Francks played a character named Mr. Anybodys, in Canada and in early MRN shows taped in Pgh.

I know that.  What I meant was, I remember in your interview with Kevin Smith, I think you mentioned Don Francks being at your performance of the Mad Show.  But I didn't remember if he was a cast member performing with you, or if he was a spectator that was sitting with Fred?  I'm guessing the later.  And I'm guessing Don was living in Pittsburgh at the time.

bka

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2012, 07:53:35 AM »
Fred was in the audience of The Mad Show, not Don.  Don Francks had a big career in Canada and in the USA, and was only an occasional guest in the PBS shows. He was too strong to have been obedient to Fred, and obedience was required from "talent".

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2012, 08:02:29 AM »
So, in other words, Don was splitting his time between Canada and New York City, and occasionally Pittsburgh?  I assume the club where you met him was in New York City.

bka

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2012, 11:36:19 AM »
yes