The Neighborhood Archive > Announcements & Notes

Another batch of early episodes

(1/4) > >>

Neighborhood Archive:
Added another batch of episodes this week to be covered on the Archive. I've still got a few left to detail from the first batch, but once those are done, here are episodes you can expect to see on the Archive in the coming weeks:

0028-0050 (excluding 0045 which has already been covered)
1231-1240 (excluding 1235 & 1236 which have already been covered)
1272-1280 (excluding 1279 which I was unable to get at this time)
1346-1350

Stay tuned...

mitsguy2001:
Looking forward to those!  Please let us know whether or not Mr. McFeely smokes in Episode 37, and what exactly is said about it.  I had heard somewhere that he blows smoke in Fred's face and Fred started coughing, but I don't know if that is true.

Also, does anyone (Mr. McFeely or anyone else) smoke in any other early episodes?

Thanks.

Neighborhood Archive:

--- Quote from: mitsguy2001 on May 18, 2012, 07:20:06 AM ---Please let us know whether or not Mr. McFeely smokes in Episode 37

--- End quote ---

Ever since I first heard this rumor, I've had a very hard time believing it but was definitely a little curious. When I got this new batch of episodes, one of the first things I did was to do a quick scan through Episode 37. Although I haven't watched it in its entirety yet, I saw nothing at all suggesting that this is even remotely true.

I'll get to detailing this episode in the coming weeks but for know, I think it's pretty safe to say this is just an urban legend.

mitsguy2001:

--- Quote from: TL on May 18, 2012, 08:00:06 AM ---
--- Quote from: mitsguy2001 on May 18, 2012, 07:20:06 AM ---Please let us know whether or not Mr. McFeely smokes in Episode 37

--- End quote ---

Ever since I first heard this rumor, I've had a very hard time believing it but was definitely a little curious. When I got this new batch of episodes, one of the first things I did was to do a quick scan through Episode 37. Although I haven't watched it in its entirety yet, I saw nothing at all suggesting that this is even remotely true.

I'll get to detailing this episode in the coming weeks but for know, I think it's pretty safe to say this is just an urban legend.

--- End quote ---

Although, the University of Pittsburgh files definitely say that Fred is angered by Mr. McFeely's smoking.  It's possible that maybe smoking is discussed but not shown on camera.  Another possibility (check the production date and set details) is that maybe the episode was later edited to remove the smoking, and you have the edited version.  In fact, I wonder if some of the edited episodes (such as 9 with the new set; 10 where Betty Aberlin seems to have replaced Barbara Russel; and 21 with a production date nearly 5 months after it first aired) maybe were edited to remove smoking.  I also wonder whether or not David Newell smoked in real life, and whether or not he quit (either after the first season or even sometimes later).

Neighborhood Archive:

--- Quote from: mitsguy2001 on May 18, 2012, 08:27:13 AM ---the University of Pittsburgh files definitely say that Fred is angered by Mr. McFeely's smoking.

--- End quote ---

Okay. I'll have to give this a closer look this evening. I'm really curious now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version