Author Topic: What 1968 episodes have the "new" set  (Read 7143 times)

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
What 1968 episodes have the "new" set
« on: May 09, 2012, 10:42:46 PM »
Tim: I asked this a few times in different threads, but you may not have seen it.  Which 1968 episodes have the "new" set?  (the one that was used in 1969).  I know you said that 9 and 21 have the new set.  Since 45 and 84 seem to have been shot after 9, they probably have the new set too.  What other ones have the new set?  Thanks.

Neighborhood Archive

• Administrator
  • Make-Believe Neighbor
    • The Neighborhood Archive
Re: What 1968 episodes have the "new" set
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 05:42:08 PM »
I jump on the message board a time or two a day but it takes me a bit to get to stuff like this. I'll try and get you an answer soon...

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 12:15:52 AM »
I jump on the message board a time or two a day but it takes me a bit to get to stuff like this. I'll try and get you an answer soon...

Thanks; I'm looking forward to it.  I just wasn't sure if you saw that question in the other threads where I asked (they could have been threads that you weren't interested in reading).

Neighborhood Archive

• Administrator
  • Make-Believe Neighbor
    • The Neighborhood Archive
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 09:18:36 AM »
Looking back through what I've got from 1968, I'm going to give you this very vague response:

It depends.

Some are the "old" set which has the floor-to-ceiling posts by the bench as Mister Rogers enters, the Trolley track running in front of Picture Picture, and a shelf just to the right of Picture Picture.

Then there are others where the posts are short, the traffic light is moved forward, the tracks no longer run in front of Picture Picture, and/or the shelf is gone. Note that I said "and/or." Various episodes include various combinations of these things.

Suffice it to say, that out of the episodes I've seen from 1968, the set varies often.

Unfortunately, I don't have time right now to go through each one and detail exactly what the set looks like. Maybe someday...

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 11:06:43 AM »
Interesting.  Sounds like the set evolved throughout the season, and didn't change all at once, as I had expected.

ladyelainefairchilde

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 11:49:27 AM »
Episode 9, 16, 21 have the new sets. From what i could observe from the photos Tim has posted. I would say that 21-25 might be the week the new set began. They retaped parts of 21, along with 9, 16.Maybe the original recording broke? Their were certain scenes they wanted to redo. Again this is just an educated guess. Episode 45 & 84 have the new set, i figured later halves of the 68 season would have the newset. Had no idea that the new set came in alot earlier than i had anticipated. Since their were 130 b/w shows in the 68 season.

I had assumed that the second half of the 1968 season was when they starting using the other set.
Thanks Tim for all the nice photo stills and for getting some things cleared up with the sets.
Tim: I asked this a few times in different threads, but you may not have seen it.  Which 1968 episodes have the "new" set?  (the one that was used in 1969).  I know you said that 9 and 21 have the new set.  Since 45 and 84 seem to have been shot after 9, they probably have the new set too.  What other ones have the new set?  Thanks.

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 11:54:16 AM »
Episode 9, 16, 21 have the new sets. From what i could observe from the photos Tim has posted. I would say that 21-25 might be the week the new set began. They retaped parts of 21, along with 9, 16.Maybe the original recording broke? Their were certain scenes they wanted to redo. Again this is just an educated guess. Episode 45 & 84 have the new set, i figured later halves of the 68 season would have the newset. Had no idea that the new set came in alot earlier than i had anticipated. Since their were 130 b/w shows in the 68 season.

I had assumed that the second half of the 1968 season was when they starting using the other set.
Thanks Tim for all the nice photo stills and for getting some things cleared up with the sets.
Tim: I asked this a few times in different threads, but you may not have seen it.  Which 1968 episodes have the "new" set?  (the one that was used in 1969).  I know you said that 9 and 21 have the new set.  Since 45 and 84 seem to have been shot after 9, they probably have the new set too.  What other ones have the new set?  Thanks.

Just out of curiosity, did the NOM change at all that season, other than in Episode 1?  That could possibly shed some light on whether or not the NOM part Episode 10 was reshot, using Betty Aberlin rather than Barbara Russell, for whatever reason.  For those that haven't seen other threads: In Episode 10, the production slate and the end credits list Barbara Russell but not Betty Aberlin.  But in the episode (and the usually unreliable University of Pittsburgh files), Betty Aberlin appeares but Barbara Russell does not.  Implying that the scene was likely reshot.  Or maybe Barbara Russell was planned but not available when it was shot.

ASchuelke

• Southwood Neighbor
    • WRJQ Goodtime Radio
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2012, 08:47:58 AM »
Interesting.  Sounds like the set evolved throughout the season, and didn't change all at once, as I had expected.

In these 1968 episodes, pay close attention to the production slate at the front of each episode.  I'm not certain as to WHY, but it seems the first month or so of episodes have greatly varying production dates.

MrRogers143

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2012, 09:50:54 AM »
Something I'm wondering. The Assassination special has the new set, but when did it air?
Steven Simmons
   [Trolley]
[bdbdbdbd]
    o      o

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2012, 12:03:29 PM »

In these 1968 episodes, pay close attention to the production slate at the front of each episode.  I'm not certain as to WHY, but it seems the first month or so of episodes have greatly varying production dates.

Yes, I've commented on that in other threads.  Most notably, Episode 21 has a production date that is 5 months AFTER it aired.  Which implies that it was completely reshot after its first airing.

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2012, 12:07:13 PM »
Something I'm wondering. The Assassination special has the new set, but when did it air?

RFK was assasinated on June 6, 1968, so it had to have aired within a few days after.  Betty's hair was still short in that episode, so she probably didn't grow it until July.  It looks longer in Episode 21, which was aparently shot in August.

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 12:02:58 PM »
Tim:
Since you recently watched 37, did it have the old or new set?