Author Topic: How many versions of the Trolley?  (Read 4013 times)

Quinn

• Southwood Neighbor
How many versions of the Trolley?
« on: May 08, 2012, 08:06:43 PM »
Two part topic. How many Neighborhood Trolleys are out there? How many versions did we see, overall?

In a thread on The Replica Prop Forum, a poster recalled a childhood visit to the MRN set in '91 or '92.

I can also tell you that I know for sure that there was more than one trolley because I accidentally crashed the one that was on the tracks (I was 9 at the time) and they had to come over with a spare while they repaired the one I damaged.

Are there several duplicate full-sized Trolleys? Being in television production myself, I certainly understand the necessity of having a duplicate prop, yet it always seemed, to me, the impression was that there was only one made of the version we all know and love. Fred himself notes in the Archives of American Television interview that Trolley was Canadian made. Just one?

Here's a list of versions that I can think of off the top of my head:

1) Original red roof, black-bodied CBC "Neighbourhood" Trolley from The Children's Corner. I have a picture of this in a museum setting, but I don't know what museum it is in.

2) The Neighborhood Trolley, seen most often.

3) Small HO-scale used on the opening/closing model layout.

4) Tabletop NoMB Model version.

5) Second version of #4 seen in the pics for "Up Close: The Models"  http://neighborhoodarchive.blogspot.com/2011/03/up-close-models.html

6) Third version #4

JAO93

• Southwood Neighbor
Re: How many versions of the Trolley?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 07:06:17 PM »
I would think a spare was probably kept on hand, should the "main" model have gotten a problem.

My personal favorite was the little HO scale Trolley in the opening credits, along with the usual larger scale one.

MrRogers143

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 09:12:20 PM »
I wonder why there were 3 different tabletop trolleys? Also, which one was most like the original Neighborhood Trolley in Mr. Rogers' living room?
Steven Simmons
   [Trolley]
[bdbdbdbd]
    o      o

MysteryNeighbor

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 02:48:56 PM »
When was the small HO-scale model of the trolley first used in the opening/closing sequences?

MrRogers143

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 08:34:30 PM »
It was episode 1491, "Mister Rogers Talks About Discipline"
Steven Simmons
   [Trolley]
[bdbdbdbd]
    o      o

MysteryNeighbor

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 06:13:22 AM »
And it remained a part of the model neighborhood from that episode until the final episode?

JCostaThePro

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 03:21:00 PM »
It was episode 1491, "Mister Rogers Talks About Discipline"

I believe that was then-director Paul M. Lally's idea, hence that also being when he started directing MRN.