Author Topic: Sweater colors  (Read 7060 times)

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
Sweater colors
« on: May 07, 2012, 10:02:18 PM »
One of the very interesting posts on the blog shows a chart that indicates which color sweater Fred wears in each post-75 episode:
http://neighborhoodarchive.blogspot.com/2011/05/sweater-colors.html

One interesting thing that is pointed out is that Fred wore a red sweater in 1463, and then not again until 1572.  I have 2 theories about that.  I know that Fred donated one of his sweaters to the Smithsonian.  Does anyone know when that was?  Maybe he donated a red sweater in 1979, and then got a new one in 1987.  My other theory is maybe his red sweater was damaged or worn out after 1463, and maybe Fred got a new one in 1987.  Does anyone know if there is a red sweater in Fred's closet in 1466-1570?

In her interview, Betty Aberlin said that Fred's mother knitted all of the sweaters.  Was she still alive in 1987?  While it is well known that Fred's mother knitted the sweaters, I always assumed that was not the case with all of them.

It also mentions some new, darker sweaters that Fred wore during the week of 1636-1640.  Those episodes were from 1991.  Was Fred's mother still alive then?  If not, then either she didn't make all of the sweaters, or maybe those were worn more often during the pre-79 era.  It's interesting that 1636-1640 was the first post-75 week after Conflict to stop airing.

Also, someone asked if there is any correlation between sweater color and episode theme.  That does not seem to be the case.  That person specifially mentioned Divorce vs Play.  They both seem to use a lot of the same sweater colors.

I suspect that when the same sweater color is used more than once in the same week or in adjacent weeks, the scenes were likely shot at the same time.  Betty said that they'd shoot 3 weeks at the same time.  For example, maybe parts of 1461, 1465, 1467, and 1473 were shot at the same time.

The chart also shows an orange sweater worn only in 1742 and 1749.  I doubt that Fred's mother was still alive then.  So I suspect that sweater either must have been worn in the pre-79s, or was not knitted by Fred's mother.  Or maybe Fred's mother knitted it years ago, and Fred realized that he had never worn it on an episode.

It would also be interesting to show a chart showing the color of Lady Aberlin's dresses.  It would be easier, since, unlike Fred, she did not appear in every episode.  Did she have the same dresses for the entire series?  My wife seems to think so (not that she's seen most episodes, nor have I).  Was there any correlation between her dress color and Fred's sweater color?  Like Fred, did she often wear the same dress in episodes from the same week or adjacent weeks?

Neighborhood Archive

• Administrator
  • Make-Believe Neighbor
    • The Neighborhood Archive
Re: Sweater colors
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 09:24:39 PM »
I've actually got this information for Lady Aberlin's dresses (for the "modern" episodes at least) generously compiled by Paul. He put together details on Handyman Negri's clothes and the apron colors worn by Chef Brockett. Just haven't decided yet exactly how I want to use this information on the site.

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 10:59:52 PM »
I've actually got this information for Lady Aberlin's dresses (for the "modern" episodes at least) generously compiled by Paul. He put together details on Handyman Negri's clothes and the apron colors worn by Chef Brockett. Just haven't decided yet exactly how I want to use this information on the site.

I would be interested to see that.  Maybe post a chart for each character on your blog, just like you did for Fred.  Maybe post them on the same page so we can see if there is any correlation.

Come to think of it, I don't think my wife is correct about Lady Aberlin wearing the same dresses throughout the series.  Someone on another board had mentioned that the green dress that she wears in 1101, he had never seen her wear in any other episode.  That means she obviously didn't wear it in the post-75s.  I'm guessing she wore it in other pre-79s that he hasn't seen.  I wonder why she didn't wear it in later episodes.

Neighborhood Archive

• Administrator
  • Make-Believe Neighbor
    • The Neighborhood Archive
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 04:56:29 AM »
I'll try and get that up as a blog post sometime in the near future...

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 11:22:35 AM »
Thanks.  Let me know when it's up.

In the meantime: did Lady Aberlin wear the same dresses throughout the series?  Or at least the modern series?  What about the green dress she wore in 1101?  Was that used in other pre-79s?

Paul

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 09:44:12 PM »
I'll let Tim figure out how he wants to post it, but Lady Aberlin did indeed wear many of the same dresses. Some have just a few repeats while others have dozens. I never really saw much of a pattern though. The same goes for Handyman as well.

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 10:46:56 PM »
This chart would also be interesting to see how each character's appearances were distributed.  I'm guessing Mr. McFeely appeared progressively more and more often as the series went on.  Lady Aberlin probably peaked in the late pre-79s and early post-75s.  Handyman Negri is probably roughly equally distributed throughout the series.

I think Lady Aberlin's most iconic dress seems to be the blue one.

MrRogers143

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 10:59:56 PM »
Speaking of Sweater Colors, I'm making an online paiting for every episode on the archive, and every frame is a color from Mister Rogers sweater, or whatever he's wearing that day. I'd show how it is so far, but I don't know how to upload photos here. If anyone knows how, please let me know.
Steven Simmons
   [Trolley]
[bdbdbdbd]
    o      o

JCostaThePro

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2013, 08:23:21 AM »
Some time after Tim has posted more episodes, i'd love to help see if i can make a run-down of the sweater colors from the pre-79 era in addition. The sweater colors are always something fascinating to see, one of the reasons me and some of my friends aren't too crazy about the 1968 season (B&W). I was surprised to see that, when the 1969 episodes were being detailed, there were fewer episodes than usual where he put on a sweater. He seemed to constantly put on the lab-coat, an apron or something instead. 1326, 1410, 1485, A Granddad For Daniel and 1722 are the only post-PBS episodes i've ever seen where he didn't wear a sweater at all. Luckily, i know all the sweater colors he wears from the modern episodes, so i can identify those any time if anyone likes.

I'm unfortunately pretty terrible at trying to help with Lady Aberlin's dress colors, though. I can spot the colors, but the main difficulty is, many of them are not solid. Many of them have flowers or paiting-like images on them and i seem to remember that at some point while trying to compile such information, i rather inaccurately said she had an "ivory dress with giraffe-colored spots on it", referring to the flower dress she wears in 1431, 1455 and 1456.  Giraffe-colored spots?! What was i thinking of??? I'm sure Paul, Tim or Betty have a better eye for that than i do.

Rogers has so many different shades of colors over the course of the series. I can't wait to see what episode was the first where he wore the navy blue one in. This is the one he wears in 1176, 1177, 1180, 1181, 1183, 1199, 1236, 1259, 1278, 1389, 1414, 1416 and 1434. 1067 seems to be the first one he wears the neon yellow one in, ditto 1093 with the pink-orange one.

Let me know what you all think of this.

JCostaThePro

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 06:40:34 PM »
Does anyone know if there is a red sweater in Fred's closet in 1466-1570?

I dunno about all of them, but yes, there was a red sweater at least in Bubbleland because that's one of the sweaters he shows off to the viewers at the beginning of 1472.