Author Topic: Was the Neighborhood model layout preserved?  (Read 3499 times)

Quinn

• Southwood Neighbor
Was the Neighborhood model layout preserved?
« on: May 05, 2012, 01:19:32 AM »
I've seen the various discussions and pictures of the NoMB set pieces that were saved. Has there been any indication of the fate of the Neighborhood HO-scale model set piece used in the opening and closing sequences?

I would imagine, after so many years, the glue, and perhaps decals, may be quite degraded. However, I recently unearthed some of my own pieces that have been stored for at least 20 years, and some held up well. I'd like to think the MRN set has been held onto, including the Trolley added by Paul Lally for that set.

Neighborhood Archive

• Administrator
  • Make-Believe Neighbor
    • The Neighborhood Archive
Re: Was the Neighborhood model layout preserved?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 06:52:11 AM »
As of the spring of 2011, my understanding is that the Neighborhood model used during the opening and closing has been saved and is currently in storage.

ASchuelke

• Southwood Neighbor
    • WRJQ Goodtime Radio
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 09:42:57 AM »
A personal "dream" of mine:  To see it in person!

Quinn

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 04:56:18 PM »
I'm glad to hear it's still around. I hope to be able to see it someday, too.  ;D

LanceChurchill1

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 05:39:05 PM »
The Fred Rogers Center doesn't have it?!  I thought they had all of the sweaters, sneakers, trolley, puppets, episodes, correspondence, scripts, writings, etc. etc. etc.  By the way, can anyone go there anytime?  My understanding is that it's sort of like a Fred museum...?

Neighborhood Archive

• Administrator
  • Make-Believe Neighbor
    • The Neighborhood Archive
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 05:02:26 AM »
By the way, can anyone go there anytime?  My understanding is that it's sort of like a Fred museum...?

The Fred Rogers Center does house a very interesting display of memorabilia spanning Fred's career. Many of the original puppets are on display as well as a good number of photographs...even some original, hand-written sheet music. A very interesting exhibit for anyone interested in Fred and his career.

That being said, it's far from a "museum." The exhibit itself might take a person 30 minutes to go through -- and that's taking your time. The actual Archive is located here as well but is not open to the public.

JAO93

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 06:51:07 PM »
It's so nice to see much of what was used on the TV show was preserved. I always liked the little HO (?) scale trolley in the opening and end credits.