Author Topic: Versions of "Good Feeling"  (Read 6693 times)

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
Versions of "Good Feeling"
« on: May 03, 2012, 09:49:16 PM »
How many different versions of "Good Feeling" were used in the series?  The version listed in this archive has the line "I think I'll make a snappy new day" but also has the second verse "It's such a good feeling, to know you're in tune . . .".  Was that exact combination ever used?  i seem to remember during the 1970 and 1971 versions, when the song was used in the middle of an episode, it always had "I think I'll grow 12 inches today" and the 2nd verse.  I always assumed that it was changed to "I think I'll make a snappy new day" when it became a closing song, and at the same time, the 2nd verse was replaced with the first verse of the weekend song.  But I have a feeling there are many other combinations.  Does anyone know?  Thanks.

earnhardtfan4life

• Make-Believe Neighbor
Re: Versions of "Good Feeling"
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 10:37:25 PM »
I had read or heard that Johnny Costa improvised "Good Feeling" for every single episode.  And I believe it too.  In terms of verses, in the 70s he would often times sing the song and then right before he goes out the door he would repeat - It's such a good feeling, a very good feeling, the feeling you know we are friends.  I actually like that.

When I play the song on the piano, I can tell that when you get to the part where - I'll think I'll make a snappy new day - snap, snap.  Snap, snap are actually the keys for - Ding, Dong.  Another subtle reminder of Fred's past.  Ding, Dong McFeely.

Jazzman67

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 06:10:12 PM »
When this song was first written, there were two verses to the song. So the second verse had "you know you're in tune.." and that was it.

The second song, which was first used as the song that ended the week, was also a longer version from the beginning.

When Fred Rogers sold his Tommorow song, he decided to do a hybrid of the above songs and combined them to the version that was used from the mid 1970's onwards. That's the version most children remember from the younger generations and is the one most people remember. I still remember when Good Feeling was performed during the show, though.

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 07:18:45 PM »
When this song was first written, there were two verses to the song. So the second verse had "you know you're in tune.." and that was it.

The second song, which was first used as the song that ended the week, was also a longer version from the beginning.

When Fred Rogers sold his Tommorow song, he decided to do a hybrid of the above songs and combined them to the version that was used from the mid 1970's onwards. That's the version most children remember from the younger generations and is the one most people remember.

Yeah, I know all that.  My point is that there are more than just 2 versions of this song.  For example, the first verse, could have either "I think I'll grow 12 inches today" or "I think I'll make a snappy new day".  And the end of that verse can be either "The feeling to know you're alive" or "The feeling to know that we're friends", or just "the feeling to know that . . ." and then segue into "I'll be back . . .".  And the "I'll be back" verse on Mon-Thurs can have either "when tomorrow's new" or "when the day is new" (on Friday episodes, it was always "when the week is new").  I think there are other versions too.

My questions were: how many different versions are there?  When was each version used?  And, was the exact version posted in this archive ever actually used in an episode?  I don't think it was, but I could be wrong.

I still remember when Good Feeling was performed during the show, though.

Actually, the first several times I heard Good Feeling, it was the "I think I'll grow 12 inches today" and "to know you're in tune" version.  It was a while until I heard it used as a closing song.  I'm guessing this must have been around 1981 or 1982 when they were rerunning 1970 and 1971 episodes.

mjb1124

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 08:59:48 PM »
As far as I know, the versions that exist are:

- The original version with two verses and the "12 inches" lyrics.   Used on the show from 1970-71 or possibly early 1972.

- The version mentioned with two verses AND the "snappy new day" lyrics, plus "we're friends" at the end of the second verse.   I'm not sure, but I think this version might be exclusive to later versions of the album "A Place of Our Own", and not actually used on the show.   You can hear that version, along with a recording of the "12 inches" version, here.

- The original Friday closing version, combining the first verse (with "snappy new day" lyrics) with a shortened version of "The Weekend Song" ("I'll be back when the week is new...").   Used from 1972 on.

- The original Monday-Thursday closing version, where the "Weekend Song" portion begins with "I'll be back when tomorrow's new".   Used in 1972-73.

- The more well-known Monday-Thursday closing version ("I'll be back when the day is new").   Used from 1974 (or possibly later in 1973) on.

- The short closing version, which omits the "Weekend Song" verse and ends with "we're friends".   Debuted in 1979 and saw occasional use throughout the 80's, as well as in the Idlewild Park ride.

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 10:31:03 PM »
Thanks!  That's exactly what I was looking for.  So it sounds like the version listed in the archive was never actually used, even if it's the "official" version.

- The short closing version, which omits the "Weekend Song" verse and ends with "we're friends".   Debuted in 1979 and saw occasional use throughout the 80's, as well as in the Idlewild Park ride.

I think that was used during the Mon-Thurs episodes of the first 3 weeks, specifically Episodes 1461-1464, 1466-1469, and 1471-1474.  I don't remember if it was also used in 1476-1479, 1481-1484, or 1486-1489.  I don't think it was used much after that, nor do I think it was ever used in a Friday episode.

Another thing I remember is that there may have been some episodes (maybe later pre-79s) where after the "I'll be back" verse, he then sang the line "It's such a good feeling, the feeling to know that we're friends".  Do you know when that was used?  Or did I imagine it?

JCostaThePro

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 06:59:47 AM »
The "we're friends" version was also performed in Play 1486 (to answer mitsguy2001's question), Friends 1508, Work 1530 and No & Yes 1541. 1530 may've been the only Friday episode in the series that ended with this version.

MisterRogersFan15

• New to the Neighborhood
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 09:52:38 PM »
It was also used on Episode #1365 of the old school era version of Mister Rogers Neighborhood.  This may have been the 1st time???