Author Topic: Episodes 1036-1040, 1051-1055, 1056-1060, 1071-1075  (Read 38483 times)

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
Re: Episodes 1036-1040, 1051-1055, 1056-1060, 1071-1075
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2012, 11:50:11 AM »
http://www.neighborhoodarchive.com/publications/parents/planplay6/index.html

Interesting.  Looks like that version has everything from 1001-1765.  Does it even have 1036-1040, 1051-1055, 1056-1060, and 1071-1075?  If not, does it give any explanation as to what happened to those episodes?  Does it give any schedule info from 1984 or earlier, or info on when the 1969 episodes all last aired?

Just out of curiosity, what does the book say for 1080?  I know for sure I watched MRN on June 13, 1986 when it should have aired, but I know for sure I did not see the episode where Fred received the Eiffel Tower model.  That lead some of us to beleive it was mislabeled in the University of Pittsburgh files.  Also, that seems to be "Betty Aberlin"'s first real neighborhood appearance (not as Lady Aberlin), and I wonder how Fred explained who she was.  Did he, like in 1066 when he explained about Bob Trow being a real person, explain that Betty Aberlin is a real person, and that she's an actress that plays Lady Aberlin in the NOM?  If so, I'm almost certain I never saw that episode.

Also, what does it say for 1221?  I remember we thought that was possibly reversed with another episode, such as 1195.

Neighborhood Archive

• Administrator
  • Make-Believe Neighbor
    • The Neighborhood Archive
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2012, 07:47:23 PM »
Keep in mind that the Plan and Play book is not really an episode guide but more so a supplemental book full of activities to be used along with episodes of MRN.

Does it even have 1036-1040, 1051-1055, 1056-1060, and 1071-1075?  If not, does it give any explanation as to what happened to those episodes?  Does it give any schedule info from 1984 or earlier, or info on when the 1969 episodes all last aired?

Unfortunately the answer to each of these questions is no.

Just out of curiosity, what does the book say for 1080?  

"Today Mister Rogers talks about waiting. He suggests there are many creative things to do while waiting, like making up games to play. Everyone is waiting to hear the royal secret in the Neighborhood of Make-Believe."

Also, what does it say for 1221?

"Mister Rogers explains that children often resort to tricks and clowning to gain attention -- especially when they're feeling insecure. He sings the song, "The Clown in Me." Lady Elaine wants attention and flashes a light in Mr. McFeely's eyes."

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2012, 11:04:56 PM »
Keep in mind that the Plan and Play book is not really an episode guide but more so a supplemental book full of activities to be used along with episodes of MRN.

Does it even have 1036-1040, 1051-1055, 1056-1060, and 1071-1075?  If not, does it give any explanation as to what happened to those episodes?  Does it give any schedule info from 1984 or earlier, or info on when the 1969 episodes all last aired?

Unfortunately the answer to each of these questions is no.

Just out of curiosity, what does the book say for 1080?  

"Today Mister Rogers talks about waiting. He suggests there are many creative things to do while waiting, like making up games to play. Everyone is waiting to hear the royal secret in the Neighborhood of Make-Believe."

That does sound correct, although it makes no mention of the Eiffel Tower model, or introducing Betty Aberlin (as opposed to Lady Aberlin).  For 1066-1070, does it mention the models?  And in particular, does it mention introducing the human Bob Trow in 1066?

Also, what does it say for 1221?

"Mister Rogers explains that children often resort to tricks and clowning to gain attention -- especially when they're feeling insecure. He sings the song, "The Clown in Me." Lady Elaine wants attention and flashes a light in Mr. McFeely's eyes."

That also sounds correct.  Although, I really doubt that it closes with the Weekend Song.

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2012, 11:43:56 AM »
Just out of curiosity, does the Plan and Play book include Conflict?  If so, it would be really strange that it included Conflict until the end, but not 1036-1040, 1051-1055, 1056-1060, and 1071-1075.

Another possibility about some of these banned weeks: maybe they contained a song that had copyright issues?

Lawrence Martin

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2012, 01:41:29 PM »
Yes Conflict is in the sixth edition and it is a part of the running neighborhood
Neighbor Lawrence L Martin :)

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2012, 03:38:52 PM »
Yes Conflict is in the sixth edition and it is a part of the running neighborhood

What is the "running neighborhood"?  I wonder why they removed 1036-1040, 1051-1055, 1056-1060, and 1071-1075, but not Conflict.

bka

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2012, 07:18:20 AM »
in the "Neighborhood" segments, Fred's television house & visits to other neighbors in "reality", including on-location visits as distinct from "make-believe" segments - "Betty Aberlin" in "reality" ran Betty's Little Theater, Joe Negri had a music shop, Bob Trow had a workshop, Audrey (I don't think her last name, Roth, was ever used) ran a cleaning service, "Chef" Brockett a bakery, and so on. these were made-up occupations that in some cases touched upon our own true interests, in some cases not. they facilitated diversity in focus - performers could come to BLT, musicians to the music shop, etc.  Fred's on-camera house was a modest little cottage. In real real life, he was a wealthy man. not talking about his vast spiritual riches here. He was a workaholic, but he had never had to work for a living, as those he worked with had.  The paradoxical, oft repeated  - "what you see is what you get"  & St. Exupery's "what is essential is invisible to the eye" - somewhere in this fusion lay the truth. 

how can an actress named Betty Aberlin "play" a character named Betty Aberlin? and how can that "character" Betty Aberlin - "play" Lady Aberlin in Make-Believe?

and shall I limit myself to the "Betty Aberlin"/"Lady Aberlin" character who was given lines to speak believably - by a man who did not share her formation or life-experiences, and was steeped in child-development psychology, and accustomed to authority - and set aside my REAL dimensional warts-and-all being?

nope.

and as an actress, in a Kingdom, shall I seek to hint at a balance somewhere between the mischief-making, n.o.m. scapegoat (Lady Elaine Fairchild - not a beauty - except to those who loved her, not married, and no children) and the submissive Queen Sarah (peaceful, helpmate to her husband the King, and mother to Tuesday), the shy Henrietta, the Dr. Bill's Wife (Elsie Jean), the utterly meek & delightful Ana, and the spinster teacher/organist Harriet Elizabeth Cow? shall there be some quality of spunk along with the sweetness?   

what is the fruit of collaboration among people of differing backgrounds around a common cause?  what is the bias of this writer? of this actor? and what is the freedom of action, on or off camera, in this medium, when the message is "the truth will make you free" and "there is only one person exactly like you, and people can like you exactly the way you are."  How do you walk the walk in the doing of the work?  and so on.

talking about the infinitude of It All.

earnhardtfan4life

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2012, 11:07:53 PM »
BKA, when I hear you talk about your constant battle between characters all I can think of is it sounds like you had your own Priscilla Cow/Potato Bug moment.  :-)

As a child, I viewed the make believe segments as if it was a total dream.  Fred would introduce objects, people, etc. throughout his segments and then make believe we would see those same objects, people, etc. as symbolic, ironic images used to tell a story. 

While we are on the subject of dissecting the whole "Infinite of It All," I would like to add something.

I continued to watch MRN throughout my elementary school years.  And through the first half of those years Pre-79s were still being shown.  I watched MRN to death especially during the summer months when I was off from school.  As I look back now, I feel that I took His advice too literally.  As I got picked on a lot.  Not because I watched his show, but because he often times said, it's ok to cry.  I used to cry quite often.  I think a lot of those pre79s he often times treated the audience as if they were very fragile people.  I think he may have in fact been way too sensitive on a lot of things.  Coming from a man who got picked on a lot himself growing up,  you think he would have sense to know where the line is.  I feel that he didn't do a good enough job in dealing with the subject of bullying. 

Mike 

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2012, 01:08:53 AM »
Coming from a man who got picked on a lot himself growing up,  you think he would have sense to know where the line is.  I feel that he didn't do a good enough job in dealing with the subject of bullying.  

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem that any adults do a good job of dealing with the subject of bullying.  There is a lot of media attention on bullies, but never anything on the adults that enable or encourage bullying.

I had posted a few weeks ago that Lady Gaga would be a good guest star on MRN if the show was still producing new episodes today.  She could have talked about bullying, along with other topics.  Unfortunately, the other members of this board basically laughed at me for my idea and thought I was crazy.

As an example of adults encouraging and enabling bullying: when I was bullied in middle school, the teachers and my parents would do nothing about it, and just tell me to ignore it or stay away from the bullies. But when I finally lost it and cursed at another student who had bullied me (who had said far worse things to me than the one curse I said to him), I was given 2 days of detention, and was referred to by the assistant principal as a juvenile delinquent. And then my parents said that if it were up to them, I would have been suspended from school for 5 days for what I said, rather than just 2 days of detention (totally ignoring the fact that kid and others had said far worse things to me, and were never given any punishment at all).

Also, students would turn my last name into a playground insult. I can accept that as a typical case of kids being kids. But the assistant principal would also refer to me by that same playground insult, and yell at me and pull rank on me (telling me I had no right to tell him how to pronounce my name) when I would explain how it was pronounced. There was absolutely no way that any reasonable adult could possibly have pronounced my last name the way he did, so it's not as if he was making an honest mistake. When I told my parents, they accused me of being a liar, saying that no school administrator would ever do something like that.

Ironically, my father himself had been a victim of bullying that was encouraged by adults (yet he didn't seem to gain any sympathy toward me). He was the only Italian kid in a Catholic school that was otherwise completely Irish (the students, faculty, and administration were almost entirely Irish). The other students would occasinally have a "Stomp the (Italian ethnic slur beginning with the letter G) day, which the teachers and administration thought was funny. And if my father tried to defend himself at all, he was given detention. And when he told his parents about it, they would completely side with the administration that gave him detention.

My point is that behind every child bully is one or more adults that encourage or at least enable that bullying.  That is something that nobody, including Fred, has ever properly dealt with.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 01:13:57 AM by mitsguy2001 »

bka

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2012, 10:56:43 AM »
dear Mike - oh yes!  Pricilla was one of my favorite characters! and, like me, Pricilla was fatherless. although having Mother Cow played by Bob Trow was a whole lot more upbeat than my own very serious mother. feminists were a bit grouchy about the "oh yeah, right. all she needs is a boyfriend and she's fine." - but particularly as a fatherless child of divorce, that was actually a hope of mine, deep down. to meet the "cool" Joe who would be a peer and mate.  And in my own life I had tried to be a "potato bug", and failed. not groovy enough.  So like Pricilla, I had to come to terms with my sex, my nature, and my rebellion - had to be willing to work to accept myself as is. "people could like me exactly the way I was/am".

like the rumors (untrue) about Fred's being a combat vet, the cliches about bullying have been the scene where the boy comes home with his complaint, and his father teaches him how to deck his opponents. "ya gotta fight". "get tough"

Fred, who presented himself as-is as a spokesman so "soft" and androgynous that the most-asked question over all the years had to do with his sexual orientation  - could hardly have dealt with the subject - particularly to the 2-4 year old child who was his main target.

you can't give what you don't have.

people nurtured their children as best they could for generations before television "experts"  told them how.  for good or ill.  and although the child-psychology may have given many uncertain parents good ideas, ditto teachers and caregivers insight and inspiration, the apathy that t.v. encouraged somehow created a realm of Info, and Icons along with it.  The Oprahfication/Fredification of human experience. And we began to trust the pundits over our own intuition and wisdom.......

the songs about being glad about who you are; the idea that each one of us is the only one that ever will be, that each day is a new day, that people have to find out what to do with the mad that they feel without hurting others, the insecurities that feed violence against others - those perceived as weak....
these themes were the lifeblood of the program, and perhaps they gave courage to withstand such scapegoating/cruelty as that Mits has described.

later in life, I heard: anger turned outward, aggression. anger turned inward, depression.  anger turned sideways: humor
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 11:00:10 AM by bka »

mjb1124

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2012, 11:12:17 AM »
mitsguy, that is really tragic that you and your father had to go through things like that.   I dealt with a lot of bullying myself (also in Catholic school for a time), and while none of the teachers or administrators actively participated in it, they would often give me the cold shoulder when I complained about it.   Or they would ignore it even though it was obviously going on in front of them.   I had a few teachers stick up for me but overall, not much was done.   In retrospect, maybe if I had acted a little tougher and talked back to them, they would have respected me a little more.   But then again maybe not.   

In any case, contrary to the belief that some people try to push, bullying didn't make me tougher.   If anything, it made me look like more of a coward as I was afraid to go to certain classes, and to a certain extent afraid to talk at all.   It also made it harder for me to distinguish between actual bullying and people just lightly poking fun at me, as after a while it all blended together and it just seemed like everyone wanted a piece of me.    While I wouldn't blame my social problems entirely on bullying (I do have Asperger's after all), I think it definitely didn't help as it warped my perspectives.

It would be nice if someone on children's TV could say some things about bullying that could really make an impact.   But I do think that Fred's messages about liking yourself for who you are had real value - if only I had listened to them more when I was young.    I agree that Lady Gaga would have been a good person to talk about such subjects with Mister Rogers, though I don't know if she would have done it or if Fred would have wanted a mainstream pop star with a rather "edgy" image on his show.

And Betty, I think you make great points on the different ways to direct your anger.   I've definitely experience all three directions, though sideways is of course the most desirable.

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2012, 07:14:06 PM »
In any case, contrary to the belief that some people try to push, bullying didn't make me tougher.

Exactly!!  That is my point.  Maybe bullying makes some people tougher, but it does not work that way for everyone.  What was especially frustrating to me was any time I had a mean teacher in school (I'm not talking about teachers that were merely strict; I am talking about teachers who were borderline abusive toward students that they didn't like), there would always be students who would defend those teachers, saying that you learn the material very well from them, and that they "prepare you for the real world".  But I found that I actually learned less from those teachers, and learned more from the nice teachers.  But that's just me.  I'm a big beleiver in the line "you catch more bees with honey than with vinegar", although aparently not everyone agrees.

Back to MRN: I much prefer the way Lady Aberlin would take the time to listen to Daniel's problems, and talk things over with him, and assure him that things would be ok.  I know some people would have preferred if she told Daniel to "grow up" or "stop whining" or "be a man".  But, at least for my personality, the way it was handled on MRN would have worked better.  I don't know if perhaps it was MRN that shaped my personality, or if it was my personality that attracted me to MRN.

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2012, 11:07:53 AM »
dear Mike - oh yes!  Pricilla was one of my favorite characters! and, like me, Pricilla was fatherless. although having Mother Cow played by Bob Trow was a whole lot more upbeat than my own very serious mother. feminists were a bit grouchy about the "oh yeah, right. all she needs is a boyfriend and she's fine." - but particularly as a fatherless child of divorce, that was actually a hope of mine, deep down. to meet the "cool" Joe who would be a peer and mate.  And in my own life I had tried to be a "potato bug", and failed. not groovy enough.  So like Pricilla, I had to come to terms with my sex, my nature, and my rebellion - had to be willing to work to accept myself as is. "people could like me exactly the way I was/am".

If you don't mind me asking, what does it mean to try to be a "potato bug"?  Just that you wanted to be something other than who you were?

bka

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2012, 07:54:48 AM »
yes.

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2012, 11:21:47 PM »
By the way, I remember reading on The Mister Rogers Society that these last aired in 1978.   I did figure out that if they cycled through the full pre-79 run immediately after the debut of 1456-1460, and then started the cycle again, they would have ended up at 1455 just before 1461-1465 debuted.   Then after the new episodes debuted, presumably they would have run 1456-1460 again leading into a third cycle of pre-79 reruns (this time without the four weeks mentioned above), which would make the most sense.    So it stands to reason that these four weeks were aired twice between 1976 and 1978.

Actually, someone on the Mr. Rogers Society said that he has a friend who remembers seeing at least some of these episodes as late as 1981.