Author Topic: Neighborhood Slang  (Read 6942 times)

earnhardtfan4life

• Make-Believe Neighbor
Neighborhood Slang
« on: June 11, 2011, 02:44:02 PM »
I often times catch myself in neighborhood slang.  Sometimes when I'm talking to somebody I'll say:  Alrighty.....  Which comes from Mr. McFeely.  I like how Lady Elaine says:  Bobby-Doggie.  Can anyone else think of more slang?

Mike

NeighborC

• Southwood Neighbor
Re: Neighborhood Slang
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 03:07:43 PM »
X the Owl often says "Nifty Galifty"
Lady Elaine often calls people "Toots".

Neighborhood Archive

• Administrator
  • Make-Believe Neighbor
    • The Neighborhood Archive
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 01:52:58 PM »
As weird as this sounds, I've caught myself saying "It's a Bill Bill good day" a time or two...

Eric S

• Westwood Neighbor
    • The ol' sketchbook
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 11:02:21 PM »
Ok, Tim, that is weird.

I second Nifty Galifty. Haven't used it myself but it's definately a neighborhood hallmark. I wonder if Fred made it up.

Who can even think of the word Boomerang without Toomerang Soomerang?

And how about Ugga Mugga?

Dais79

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 03:36:29 PM »
HAHA!!!  I just used the word nifty in an email . . .and I was thinking. . ."Nifty Gallifty!!!"  My mom tried to quote that one time and said "Hefty Gallefty", so hefty gallefty is a big joke between my kids and their Nana.

I notice my kids always say, "That's for sure!!!"

And of course. . .lots of Ugga Muggas for my babies!
"You know, I think everybody longs to be loved, and longs to know that he or she is lovable. And, consequently, the greatest thing that we can do is to help somebody know that they're loved and capable of loving."
- Fred Rogers

ASchuelke

• Southwood Neighbor
    • WRJQ Goodtime Radio
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 03:31:16 PM »
My 2-year-old son and I "ugga mugga" every morning when he wakes up, and every night before bed.   :)

Eric S

• Westwood Neighbor
    • The ol' sketchbook
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 04:47:15 PM »
I've been noticing how often Fred uses the word "Fine" as a very sincere compliment. To me at least it's kind of become a lukewarm term to use, as when you say "I'm fine" when you're really not but would rather not get into what your problems are. However, I know it used to be used as a term to describe something of refinement, ie: fine food, fine jewelry, and Fred uses it constantly. He's always telling people on the show "What a fine father you are" or "what a fine boy" or "You're a fine dog". It's kind of an old fashioned term I guess, but it stands out as seeming extra sincere the way Fred uses it. He used more popular terms like Great or Wonderful (never heard an awesome I don't think), and of course he was just as sincere with those, but coming from Fred, fine seems to be an especially big compliment.

OperaLover

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 07:41:18 PM »
We've used Ugga Mugga in our household for decades.
And we also often ask, "Who's fancy?"
And that stems from "Everybody's fancy, everybody's fine."

Paul

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 04:35:40 PM »
He often says Mother and Dad, rather than mother and father, mom and dad, etc.

Paul

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 11:43:41 PM »
You learn something old every day.

Paul

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2011, 10:56:15 AM »
"See you around the neighborhood!"

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 12:07:11 AM »
Not really slang, but I always noticed that in the real neighbhorhood, Betty Aberlin frequently used the word "grand".  I don't remember her Lady Aberlin character using that word as much.  Betty also seems to use that word a lot in interviews in real life.  This is one of the reasons why I was so surprised to hear that the real neighborhood scenes were strictly scripted.

JCostaThePro

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2013, 07:16:53 AM »
We don't usually use ugg-mugga in our family, but i seem to remember when i was a kid i had a lady teacher who taught me what an ugga-mugga was. She said it was an eskimo way of saying "i love you." I think my wife may've also done it to some of our kids when they were little, but i don't remember. I often say to myself "It's always a beautiful day in this neighborhood!"

Speaking of my kids, on a side note: we know this did not originate from the show and i'm not sure if i ever mentioned this, but it seems that MRN was the first place where my kids learned the word "incidently,". They said that word a lot on the show, Lady Elaine even says it twice in Divorce 1477 when she's talking to Lady Aberlin and Ms. Grate! Even on tv.com's article for Love 1665, the writers said "incidently," in the episode notes!