Author Topic: Mabel Mercer on PGM 1041 from 1969  (Read 8334 times)

Rogersfan

• New to the Neighborhood
Mabel Mercer on PGM 1041 from 1969
« on: April 05, 2012, 09:19:06 PM »
Hey Tim is there a way to get 1041 on the neighborhood archive by the way heres a clip of Mabel Mercer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZekGDSHGJ8

Neighborhood Archive

• Administrator
  • Make-Believe Neighbor
    • The Neighborhood Archive
Re: Mabel Mercer on PGM 1041 from 1969
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 02:00:12 PM »
Eventually. This site is certainly a continuous work in progress. Eventually I hope to get all of the Neighborhood episodes detailed. I'll definitely keep this one in mind for the next time I request episodes.

bka

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 08:53:13 AM »
I had worked at Upstairs at the Downstairs when Mabel was working Downstairs at the Upstairs (one nightclub in an old townhouse building, NYC) - and I begged Fred to have her on the program. Superb & saintly woman - as good in art as she was in life.

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 05:57:56 PM »
I had worked at Upstairs at the Downstairs when Mabel was working Downstairs at the Upstairs (one nightclub in an old townhouse building, NYC) - and I begged Fred to have her on the program. Superb & saintly woman - as good in art as she was in life.

Do you know when that episode last aired?  I don't think it aired in 1983 or 1984.

bka

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 09:12:39 AM »
no - I'm no good at all with finite time.  I think they weeded certain shows out just because they looked dated - or my costume or make-up was too tied to a certain year....or of course for content they no longer felt was child-appropriate. But Mabel is timeless.  Of course, the slicker and the more monied the production of Sesame Street was, the more of a contrast there was with our motley little underfunded re-use costumes, do our own make-up enterprise. Maybe a puppet began to look worn....I forget when the new Lady Elaine puppet was introduced - it took a while to get used to her.  but I digress.

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 05:57:32 PM »
no - I'm no good at all with finite time.  I think they weeded certain shows out just because they looked dated - or my costume or make-up was too tied to a certain year....or of course for content they no longer felt was child-appropriate. But Mabel is timeless.  Of course, the slicker and the more monied the production of Sesame Street was, the more of a contrast there was with our motley little underfunded re-use costumes, do our own make-up enterprise. Maybe a puppet began to look worn....I forget when the new Lady Elaine puppet was introduced - it took a while to get used to her.  but I digress.

Just out of curiosity, do you remember what material was removed due to no longer being chld-appropriate?  Do you remember specific episodes?  Just out of curiosity, did you agree with Fred that the content that was removed did need to be removed, or did you feel that he (or perhaps our society) had become overly sensitive?

I am glad that episode 1125 (the Pineapples and Tomatoes opera) was never banned, despite having some material that some may have felt wasn't politically correct.

On the topic of non-child-appropriate material being removed: did Mr. McFeely smoke in the early episodes?  There is a black and white episode where the description says that Fred was upset about Mr. McFeely's smoking.  Did he smoke regularly back then, or did he just smoke in that one episode, or was it just something that Fred talked about without actually showing?  I've often wondered if some of the episodes that were weeded out could have been ones where he was smoking.

Back to the topic of Episode 1041 witih Mabel Mercer: I'm not saying that the episode was removed due to content.  What I do know (assuming the info available is accurate) is that Episode 1020 aired on Dec. 30, 1983, and Episode 1221 aired on Sept. 3, 1984, but I've never seen any info on January through August.  Since, doing the math, that is not enough time for all of 1021 to 1220 to air, some weeks had to be skipped.  Most likely from the 1969 season.

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 09:12:14 PM »
Actually, I don't think Fred removed any material due to being politically incorrect.  I know that in 1081, which last aired in 1989, Fred showed a manhole, and said that it's "Not a womanhole, not a boyhole, and not a girlhole, because a man goes down there".  That, of course, is not politically correct, since women definitely can and do go down manholes (though obviously boys and girls should not).  But that episode was not banned or edited.

I do know that 1121 was supposedly edited.  What was the original scene?  Did it just have an old airline logo that they thought would confuse kids?  Was the 1973 logo still in use in 1989 when that episode last aired?  Or was there some other completely unrelated scene that was either outdated or no longer to Fred's liking?  Again, I assume that episode was edited, rather than scrapped, to avoid the loss of the opera in 1125.

bka

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 06:20:33 AM »
The whole week on Conflict Resolution was censured - ie. taken right out of the cycle - it was a beautiful and powerful week, imho, and the responsive mail was equally divided between the hawks and the doves.  It ended with the Biblical quote about beating our swords into plowshares....and yet Fred chose to do spots which ran on PBS essentially reassuring parents that they could reassure their children (when images of Israeli children in gas masks were being shown over and over in the media).  Later, Bush Senior used the same sort of direct-to-the-camera, medium close shot when he addressed the nation - very Freddish, I thought. I certainly disagreed with the decision to take out that week.

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 11:27:13 AM »
The whole week on Conflict Resolution was censured - ie. taken right out of the cycle - it was a beautiful and powerful week, imho, and the responsive mail was equally divided between the hawks and the doves.  It ended with the Biblical quote about beating our swords into plowshares....and yet Fred chose to do spots which ran on PBS essentially reassuring parents that they could reassure their children (when images of Israeli children in gas masks were being shown over and over in the media).  Later, Bush Senior used the same sort of direct-to-the-camera, medium close shot when he addressed the nation - very Freddish, I thought. I certainly disagreed with the decision to take out that week.

I definitely agree with you that Conflict week should not have been banned!  That week is even more relevant now than it was during the 80s.  Sadly, I think the removal of Conflict week shows how much television has declined.  It shows how during the 80s and earlier, children's shows weren't afraid to tackle difficult topics that they now avoid.  Unfortunately, real life isn't all fun and games.

Rogersfan

• New to the Neighborhood
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 02:44:28 PM »
I think one of her songs were beautiful like lazyafternoon, Those were the good ol days better than the new stuff any one agree??

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 05:22:20 PM »
Just out of curiosity, does that club (or clubs) where you and Mabel performed still exist?  If not, I wonder what they are using that space for these days.

bka

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2012, 09:20:37 PM »
the club no longer exists, although the building is still there. what it is used for I do not know.

DanielTiger

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 11:43:53 PM »

Was the problem more the subject itself or the way it was addressed?  As I recall, King Friday was portrayed as wrongheaded for wanting to build an arsenal to defend the NOMB.  Did "hawks" think that this projected an anti-military attitude?

bka

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2012, 09:26:23 AM »
King Friday jumped to the erroneous conclusion that Southwood (was it Southwood?) had ordered bombs from Corney's factory. He then drafted certain neighbors into service. Lady Eline & I refused to serve and went instead on a fact-finding mission which discovered that they were parts to build a bridge rather than to build a bomb. the premise was that communication could preclude the necessity of war. Aside from parents who objected to the brainwashing of children into a "swords into plowshares" mentality, there was a sense that make-believe was getting a little too close to reality for comfort.

I am surprised that no one has objected to the behavior-modifying musical instructions of DTN. I am surprised that if the idea was to give parents (who had watched MRN as children) a way to share with their children - a decision was made not to use the Fred Rogers songbook but instead these little musical snippet indoctrinations, more of the sharp-short vs. the more complex sustained contemplations of Fred's songs & lyrics.  Had they chosen to continue the Fred songs (even with the abominably cute cartoons) parents & children might have sung these together, and explored their meanings together.

In her novel Wise Blood, Flannery O'Connor had Hazel Motes be the pastor of the Church of Jesus Christ Without Jesus.  DTN to me is theft.  The adornment of itself with the accomplishments of Fred, the imprimatur of Fred (who I feel sure would have loathed it) and the merchandising of Fred - without Fred.

That it is or will be successful saddens me no end, but it does not surprise me. Obviously I have not worked through my anguish yet. If I ever will.

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2012, 04:56:36 PM »
King Friday jumped to the erroneous conclusion that Southwood (was it Southwood?)

Yes, it was Southwood.

had ordered bombs from Corney's factory. He then drafted certain neighbors into service. Lady Eline & I refused to serve and went instead on a fact-finding mission which discovered that they were parts to build a bridge rather than to build a bomb. the premise was that communication could preclude the necessity of war. Aside from parents who objected to the brainwashing of children into a "swords into plowshares" mentality, there was a sense that make-believe was getting a little too close to reality for comfort.

Another theory that I heard was that it was intended to reassure kids that people were not making bombs, since we were in a cold war, not an actual war at the time.  But by 1996, when that week had its last airing, it was, unfortunately, no longer appropriate, since people really were making bombs.

By the way, Tv Tropes claims that Conflict aird once after 9/11.  I don't think that is true.  I beleive it last aired April 1-5, 1996, which was quite a while before 9/11.  Does anyone remember seeing it after 9/11?  I read somewhere that it aired the week of Nov. 12-16, 2001, but I don't think that is correct, since the schedule shows Divorce airing that week.  But was anyone actually watching MRN that week, that could confirm that Conflict did or did not air that week?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 04:58:14 PM by mitsguy2001 »