Author Topic: A Sneak Peek  (Read 6443 times)

Neighborhood Archive

• Administrator
  • Make-Believe Neighbor
    • The Neighborhood Archive

earnhardtfan4life

• Make-Believe Neighbor
Re: A Sneak Peek
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 08:32:09 PM »
I've read somewhere where it was decided that the "Freddish" script-writing way of speaking was going to be eliminated on this show. 

I think you can tell in that particular episode with the cake that they have researched MRN to death.  The segment about the broken cake has been done before, in fact I think in maybe two pre-79 episodes, maybe more.  Also when Daniel's son is disappointed about the cake, it reminded me of the Competition episode with Chef Brockett and his disappointment about not winning.  If this keeps up there might be segments in DTN that we might say:  hey, this has been done before. 

I do like the logo.  I'm glad they kept the fonts almost identical.

Degeneration X The Owl

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 12:38:57 AM »
2 things bother me.

1.  Why the long Dora The Explorer pauses

2.  I never rode a trolley that DOES have a seat belt.

ASchuelke

• Southwood Neighbor
    • WRJQ Goodtime Radio
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 11:46:30 AM »
I'm very excited.  My son turns 3 this April.  This will be perfect for him this fall.  All we have are two DVD's (Friends and Circus) because MRN isn't even shown on the once-a-week schedule here in Appleton, WI.  When it was, I recorded a bunch, but that DVR unit went bad and I had to send it back.

pastorscott

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 09:29:40 PM »
I've thought about the long pauses that Degeneration mentioned.  Didn't Fred pause occasionally, looking directly into the camera, letting the viewer think about his point or question?  Maybe that's the idea behind the long pauses in this case.  Perhaps the long pauses keep the show a bit "slower" paced, somewhat like MRN.

Dais79

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 10:29:34 PM »
Getting excited for DTN!

ASchuelke- we have the once a week viewing here in Indiana but after recording for a few years, there was nothing "new" :)  I am not sure if you have done this yet, but pbs kids has a TON of full episodes you can stream http://pbskids.org/rogers/videos/index.html.  There were some on there that never aired on my local PBS.

I felt like my boys were getting old enough that they really deserved a full week of NOMB to follow along with, so for my birthday my husband got an Amazon Prime membership for us and a roku box, which you can get for as little as $50.  It was worth it just for all of the MRN, but I can also stream shows for myself and don't even get me started on the free 2-day shipping thing.   Books are my favorite gift to give, so it has been awesome.  We are on a tight budget, but the $80 Amazon Prime membership was weeeeeellll worth it!  i am already saving for next year's membership!  Hope that helps!
"You know, I think everybody longs to be loved, and longs to know that he or she is lovable. And, consequently, the greatest thing that we can do is to help somebody know that they're loved and capable of loving."
- Fred Rogers

Paul

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 07:55:19 PM »

Jazzman67

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 01:19:00 AM »
I can imagine that the people who worked for Fred for many years must have had long discussions on how to best approach the development of the series. I think it's hard to create something new and fresh without comparing it to an older version of the NOMB, and that was the challenge.

I think the idea is that while the characters that we have come to know have become the adult role models and they are taking care of the next generation, the approach is to just let it take place in the NOMB, without the reality part be a part of the series. And, I would submit that while the same basic ideas come from Fred Rogers' philosophy, it would be incorrect to try copying exactly what Fred might have done.

We also have to remember that we're dealing with a new generation of children, who are used to seeing animated programs, as they are cheaper to produce these days for PBS. The nexct generation will not have the memories we all had of the puppets from the original show. That has to be FRC's biggest challenge: accepting a new approach to a series.

In the end, we can hope that the new series will appeal to a new generation of children, learning some of the important messages of good self esteem and a good way to deal with everyday, childhood issues. Even if it may seem odd for our generation, I'm confident that Fred would have approved the new series.

bka

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 11:01:42 AM »
thank you Paul!!!

I cannot think that Fred would have approved the kind of content in which something hard or disappointing happens, and instead of dealing with it, discussing it, the parent says "look on the bright side" - a kind of early instant-positivity adjustment brainwash. Why doesn't DT's mother have a name? (she's just Mom Tiger - her identity is wife of Daniel S. Tiger, Mom of DT - even Elsie Jean had a name) Why is the one child of color the daughter of Lady Elaine (the traditional mischief-maker - why is she described as wanting her own way? and who is Sam the Music Man? Will he be non-caucasian?) Henrietta Pussycat (before the puppet got gray with use) used to be our Black creature (see: "you are pretty....you are black..") why is a cartoon character asking a child to make-believe, and leaving room for the child to respond without making any distinction between himself (as an animation) and the living child - a distinction so important that there were separate sets for Make-Believe & Reality? Why is there a clock in the kitchen of Daniel's house?  Is it no longer a timeless place?

you all know my bias, so I'm going to approach the new series from that bias. so consider the source, and pardon my attitude. divorce is a hard thing. if my choice is to watch the new series and get upset, or not to watch it and use my energy to ignore its existence, that's kind of rock/hard place. Having been marinated in Freddish, it is good to remember that although it purports to build on our template it cannot diminish the heart and soul of what we did. If the holiness is absent, if holy, flawed human beings of different gifts and ages and backgrounds are reduced to flat made-for-comic-book (draw within the lines) indoctrination by cute t.v. - it will be evident.  the holy ground Fred saw between viewer and t.v. neighbor cannot come from mammon.......

Fred as good as promised that Lenny Meledandri would follow Johnny Costa (as musical director) who had been his idol & teacher. That did not happen.  He as good as promised Neighbor Aber that he would continue in the Neighborhood, as old characters grew older and new characters were introduced.  that did not happen either.

I once heard a script in which Fred was encouraging children to make up their own pretend with his neighborhood characters. I objected on the grounds that real encouragement of creativity would encourage them to make up their own characters, their own operas, their own worlds.

Parents & caregivers and loving teachers and holy influences will supply for this paint-by-numbers endeavor - the heart and soul and encouragement that it lacks. "Cute" was never a quality that we cultivated. Human beings have dimension.  are we preparing the tots of this generation to conform to the computers and gizmo screens including t.v. that will be and are already so deeply embedded in their lives, that so insidiously shape their (& our) perception of reality and their dreams of beauty?

oh well. I will put a sock in it for the nonce.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 11:04:56 AM by bka »

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 10:46:17 PM »

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2012, 10:56:07 PM »
thank you Paul!!!

I cannot think that Fred would have approved the kind of content in which something hard or disappointing happens, and instead of dealing with it, discussing it, the parent says "look on the bright side" - a kind of early instant-positivity adjustment brainwash.

Hi, Betty.  As always, I really enjoy reading your posts.  By the way, I posted a while ago about the exact same thing that you just said, about the cake.  Check out Reply #4 from this thread:
http://neighborhoodarchive.com/forum/index.php?topic=506.msg2499#msg2499

Like I said, I much prefer the way Fred had Lady Aberlin and Daniel handle it on MRN.

Why doesn't DT's mother have a name? (she's just Mom Tiger - her identity is wife of Daniel S. Tiger, Mom of DT - even Elsie Jean had a name)

I agree with you completely: Mom Tiger is a stupid name.

Why is the one child of color the daughter of Lady Elaine

What I wonder is, is Miss Elaina adopted, or is Lady Elaine's husband (Stan the Music Man) African-American.

(the traditional mischief-maker - why is she described as wanting her own way?

What is wrong with that?  I personally find that to be a good quality in a person (even if society doesn't agree).

and who is Sam the Music Man? Will he be non-caucasian?)

Good question, as I just pointed out.

Henrietta Pussycat (before the puppet got gray with use) used to be our Black creature (see: "you are pretty....you are black..")

You mentioned that before.  Just out of curiosity, did Fred say early on that Henrietta was intended to represent a Black person, or is that just your personal interpretation?

Fred as good as promised that Lenny Meledandri would follow Johnny Costa (as musical director) who had been his idol & teacher. That did not happen.  He as good as promised Neighbor Aber that he would continue in the Neighborhood, as old characters grew older and new characters were introduced.  that did not happen either.

You've mentioned that before, and I agree that Chuck Aber would have been a great person to continue the series.  But I am curious as to exactly why that did not happen.  Did Fred renege on his promise to Chuck, and refuse to allow him to continue the series?  If so, then why couldn't Chuck continue it after Fred passed away, if Fred what what was stopping him?  Or was it PBS that didn't allow him to continue?  Or was it whoever took over FCI after Fred passed away?  Or did Chuck just choose not to continue the series?  I am very curious about this.

I once heard a script in which Fred was encouraging children to make up their own pretend with his neighborhood characters. I objected on the grounds that real encouragement of creativity would encourage them to make up their own characters, their own operas, their own worlds.

I see where you are coming from.  Although, imagining their own stories involving Fred's characters can be a good starting point.  After that, they could then start imagining their own characters.  But Fred's characters can be a good place to start.

Degeneration X The Owl

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2012, 02:53:53 PM »
Betty, actually it's Stan The Music Man.  My theory still stands and you might wanna have a look at The Christmastime With Mister Rogers to see this "coincidence".  I do agree, but at the same time, they might have implemented some characters that was overlooked from the pre-'79 series.

bka

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2012, 08:55:44 AM »
Stan's a better rhyme with Man than Sam fer sure.  I don't remember the Christmas Special...