Author Topic: Exciting news for the Archive!  (Read 5220 times)

Neighborhood Archive

• Administrator
  • Make-Believe Neighbor
    • The Neighborhood Archive
Exciting news for the Archive!
« on: February 28, 2012, 06:17:21 PM »
As you'll find on the blog and website, the first of several new classic episodes has been added to the Neighborhood Archive! In an effort to fill the gaps found on the episode pages of the site, I have been provided access to fifty additional pre-1979 episodes -- most of which have been unseen for many years. In the coming weeks, you can expect to see details on the departure of the Frogg family, the arrival of Queen Sara, the royal wedding, the births of Ana Platypus and Prince Tuesday, the five operas not yet covered, and several episodes from the Neighborhood's first season (such as Episode 0006 which I chose to start with).

These episodes were provided to me to allow for continued progress in building the Neighborhood Archive. I have agreed to use this footage for detailing the episodes and providing screenshots for the site and am not permitted to otherwise disseminate this material in any form -- online or to any individual.

Although seeing this material is indeed very exciting, I ask that you please respect these guidelines and not contact me to request copies of these episodes. Instead, I hope that you will continue to visit the Neighborhood Archive regularly and enjoy discussing that which I do have permission to share.

With that, let the fun begin! Check out the Neighborhood Archive blog or website for more...

http://neighborhoodarchive.blogspot.com/
http://www.neighborhoodarchive.com/

earnhardtfan4life

• Make-Believe Neighbor
Re: Exciting news for the Archive!
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 04:23:03 AM »
Can you or can you not say whether these are the 50 episodes that are going to be released to Amazon soon?  50 was the last number I think we heard that were going to be released next.  Judging by the clarity of the pictures these episodes look digitally restored. 

Oh well, at least we will get pictures.  You will have to fill us in if there are any obscurities and cast members we might have forgotten.

Neighborhood Archive

• Administrator
  • Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 07:29:15 AM »
If more episodes do indeed come to Amazon some of these episodes may be included. But these fifty that I will be sharing are ones that I personally selected. I wanted to share the operas as well as other significant groups of episodes (births, weddings, departures, etc). From there I thought it would be best to start at the beginning and cover the show chronologically. Looking forward to sharing all of this with everyone!

Rogersfan

• New to the Neighborhood
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 11:19:19 AM »
Does it include the 1969 programs?   ???

Neighborhood Archive

• Administrator
  • Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 12:54:39 PM »
Does it include the 1969 programs?   ???

I've got the first 20 from 1969.

Rogersfan

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 01:19:46 PM »
Do you have 1071 1075?

Fredfan

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 08:01:00 PM »
Hi wondering if any episodes from 1972 are to be included?

Neighborhood Archive

• Administrator
  • Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 08:15:58 PM »
I can't get over the number of contacts I have received from folks with questions and comments about this new batch of episodes -- especially after only posting just a few of them up to this point! Just goes to show that there is indeed a group of people out there very interested in seeing this older footage and more importantly, a group of people who have been influenced by Fred's work!

Considering the vast majority of the questions I have received have been about which specific episodes I will be sharing, I figured it would be easiest just to provide a list of what is to come. Here are the episodes you can expect to read about in the coming weeks:

-- Episodes 0006-0027: A chronological group of episodes from the show's early days starting immediately after the first week which is available on Amazon.

-- Episode 0045: Babysitter Opera

-- Episode 0084: Campsite Opera

-- Episodes 1001-1020: The first run of color episodes which includes the departure of the Froggs, the arrival of Queen Sara, the royal wedding, and the arrival of the Platypus family

-- Episode 1104: The birth of Ana Platypus

-- Episode 1117: The birth of Prince Tuesday

-- Episode 1169: Monkey's Uncle

-- Episode 1055: Teddy Bear Opera

-- Episode 1370: All in the Laundry

-- Christmastime with Mister Rogers Special

So now that you know what's coming, stop by the blog regularly (or follow me on Twitter) for updates and then feel free to chime in on the blog with your thoughts!

Enjoy!

earnhardtfan4life

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 08:40:11 PM »
Oh, boy the Christmastime special.  Did that ever make it to being re-broadcasted on PBS over the years?  I definitely, don't remember if it did or didn't.  I've read the info about the episode on other sites but I can't remember.  I wonder if that very episode prompted Sesame Street to create their own "Christmas Eve on Sesame Street" in '78.  I think the Christmastime special came out in '77. 

If we could only get Amazon to release another set of episodes you would be "Busy being busy, the busier you are." 

The whole pre-79 thing is like a scavenger hunt. 

I understand the whole reasoning behind the right issues and them being concerned with the episodes going to the wrong set of hands, but I think it foolish for them to not release the whole collection and yet they have already said the entire collection has been digitalized.  Whats the point of telling everyone that yes the shows have been digitalized, but yet no one can see them.     

Neighborhood Archive

• Administrator
  • Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 09:03:36 PM »
I understand the whole reasoning behind the right issues and them being concerned with the episodes going to the wrong set of hands, but I think it foolish for them to not release the whole collection and yet they have already said the entire collection has been digitalized.  Whats the point of telling everyone that yes the shows have been digitalized, but yet no one can see them.      

As has been discussed several times in the past, there is much more to this than footage simply being hoarded. While a majority (if not all) of the catalog has indeed been preserved digitally, that means nothing when it comes to what can and cannot be legally made available. Just because you put gas in your car doesn't mean that anyone and everyone has the right to come to your house and take it for a drive. I assure you that if it were as simple as just "releasing the whole collection", that would have been done long ago.

pastorscott

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 09:51:00 PM »
These extra episodes are great news!  Now, finally, maybe I'll see a picture of the castle from the first color episodes...I know that there was a change connected with the royal wedding. 

I'm currently watching the first week of episodes with my kids.  I'm amazed at how much they enjoy these early episodes.  The "Change" theme really resonates with them.  Maybe one day we will more older episodes will be available to watch!

I'm thankful for these extra descriptions.  Thanks for all your work, Tim, in preserving all this information!

ASchuelke

• Southwood Neighbor
    • WRJQ Goodtime Radio
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2012, 06:36:59 PM »
I've been away from the Archive -- not by choice -- but because I've just been too busy with other projects.  But I checked in tonight.  What a wonderful thing to see!  I can't express how happy it made me.

How fortunate you are, Tim to be able to not only chronicle and post screenshots of these great rare episodes, but to be able to watch them as you do your work.  Fantastic!

One other observation:  It's interesting to note how very clear the picture is on these early episodes.  They're actually sharper than the episodes that have been released on DVD.

Thanks, Tim!!

pastorscott

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2012, 09:42:09 PM »
ASchuelke:  It's great to have you back.  Back in the fall last year, weren't you the  Forum member who said that you had more information about the neighborhood model buildings?  You provided lots of information already, but I think you indiciated you had more.  If my memory is right and you are the person, maybe you'll be able to provide more information as time permits?

Neighborhood Archive

• Administrator
  • Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2012, 09:59:39 PM »
ASchuelke:  It's great to have you back.

Yes...definitely good to have you back!