Author Topic: MRN 1975 Hiatus  (Read 7483 times)

Eric S

• Westwood Neighbor
    • The ol' sketchbook
MRN 1975 Hiatus
« on: February 23, 2012, 12:23:27 PM »
I've heard a few times that Mister Rogers Neighborhood went on hiatus around 1975 or so. I've not been able to clarify this any more- what was the reason for the hiatus? Did Fred think he had done all he could and was looking to move on? Did PBS, or WQED have anything to do with it? Did funding run out? The show had been on the air 7 years by this time, a good run for any TV show nowadays and certainly great considering the shows target audience would outgrow the show in 2-4 years. Does anyone have any idea what caused the hiatus and also what brought the show back?

earnhardtfan4life

• Make-Believe Neighbor
Re: MRN 1975 Hiatus
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 07:15:55 PM »

pastorscott

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 02:47:17 PM »
Yes, I agree, Fred should have stopped in the mid-1990s, when cast members started dying.  I feel like there were too many "videos" shown and too many "field trips" to other locations.  Personally, I enjoy the older ones when there was less of that stuff and more visits to the neighborhood locations.  I think my kids do, too, as their attention seem to be lost when Fred goes on extended field trips.  There was one week of episodes we watched where I think most of the week's episodes had a video tape tour!  That was a bit much. 

I've also noticed as I've been bouncing around watching different years.  The music slowed down and wasn't a peppy--even towards the end of Johnny Costa's tenure.  There was more zip in the music in 1980s, for example.  Everyone was getting older and didn't have as much zip as they used to.  I don't think kids notice that too much, but I notice it.

Scott

Eric S

• Westwood Neighbor
    • The ol' sketchbook
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 02:57:41 PM »
 A lot of the segments to me were rather corny in my opinion.  Here is a man trying to go up against Barney the dinosaur.  

What do  you mean corny? Corny to me means that it was cliche and perhaps unbelievably sentimental. I think Fred from Day 1 was kind of goofy. I know many adults who's reaction to seeing him on screen is to make fun of his demeanor, speech patterns, etc... Is that what you mean by corny? But I don't think anything on MRN was ever cliche, (though perhaps it became a cliche of itself?), and I can't think of anyone on television capable of being more sincere. If anything I think the goofy effect that some people objected to was lessened as he got older, particularly in the 90's and 2000's where he became less of a gangly gentle man and more of a lovable grandfather figure. But that's just my perception. I agree that the later episodes are not my favorites- I sense a routine that they seem to have settled into, and there was less unpredictability, but since they weren't aiming for someone my age I accept those things. There are still such wonderful moments in the later episodes and Fred's messages come through stronger than ever. Heck, if they had ceased production in 1995, PBS may have pulled the reruns 10 years earlier than they did!
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 11:04:57 AM by Eric S »

JCostaThePro

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 09:24:51 PM »
Yes, I agree, Fred should have stopped in the mid-1990s, when cast members started dying.  I feel like there were too many "videos" shown and too many "field trips" to other locations.  Personally, I enjoy the older ones when there was less of that stuff and more visits to the neighborhood locations.  I think my kids do, too, as their attention seem to be lost when Fred goes on extended field trips.  There was one week of episodes we watched where I think most of the week's episodes had a video tape tour!  That was a bit much. 

I've also noticed as I've been bouncing around watching different years.  The music slowed down and wasn't a peppy--even towards the end of Johnny Costa's tenure.  There was more zip in the music in 1980s, for example.  Everyone was getting older and didn't have as much zip as they used to.  I don't think kids notice that too much, but I notice it.

Scott

I actually sorta love the 1997-2001 episodes, all the series in all due respect. Not as much as the 1970-1996 ones, but still, Michael Moricz's music was kinda pretty, especially when he played the Weekend Song. Also, the way he played while Rogers was just leaving is beautiful, especially on 1715 and 1727. The 1968 episodes were okay, but i don't like that John Costa played baby music over the credits compared to what he typically played in later episodes. Episode 4 is probably my favorite 1968 episode. I wouldn't know exactly about the 1969 episodes, since i've just seen/heard bits and pieces of them.

The outro music is my most favorite thing about MRN. I love the way Johnny plays at the end of episodes 1290, 1326, 1430, 1435, 1520, 1545, 1615 and 1625, ect. very much. It may've gotten slower in later years, but it's still nice to listen to!

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 11:51:55 AM »
I actually sorta love the 1997-2001 episodes, all the series in all due respect. Not as much as the 1970-1996 ones, but still, Michael Moricz's music was kinda pretty, especially when he played the Weekend Song.

When did Michael Moricz play the Weekend Song?  I thought that the Weekend song was used only in 1971 and 1972, and that Michael Moricz didn't join MRN until 1997.

JCostaThePro

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 12:06:07 PM »
I actually sorta love the 1997-2001 episodes, all the series in all due respect. Not as much as the 1970-1996 ones, but still, Michael Moricz's music was kinda pretty, especially when he played the Weekend Song.

When did Michael Moricz play the Weekend Song?  I thought that the Weekend song was used only in 1971 and 1972, and that Michael Moricz didn't join MRN until 1997.

Remember, even though it wasn't sung as a seperate song again after 1971 (maybe 1972 if 1200 really did end with it), the Neighborhood Archive lossely refers to it being used with Good Feeling at the end of nearly every episode from 1972-2001. It flowed from Good Feeling to Weekend Song in the closing sequence. The only known episodes that don't end with it are 1461-1462, 1466-1469, Bubbleland (the opera doesn't end with a closing song at all, remember), 1486, 1508, 1530, A Granddad For Daniel (another closing number-less opera episode) and 1541. 1600 starts to, but after the party when everyone sings Good Feeling, as everybody's walking off, Rogers sings this part (he tells them "I'll be right there!" between the "ideas for you" and "and you'll have things" verses).

Michael Moricz's rendition of that part of the closing sequence is kinda pretty, especially on 1718, 1743 and 1748. Sounds like he was playing it in a concert instead of the studio!

RogersFan82

• New to the Neighborhood
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 08:10:18 AM »
Have to go back and listen to those now!  Also I always thought it was interesting how Michael Moricz put his own little twist on the intro part of "Won't You Be My Neighbor" as the camera pans across the house.  However, he always seemed to do it the same way.

Also, speaking of the intro portion I always particularly loved how Johnny and the other musicians played that part in the 1975 episodes.  Was it a xylophone that the percussionist would alternate with that made that great sound?  I also noticed it started to be used more during the main part of the song in the 90's.