Author Topic: "Tomorrow" song  (Read 4677 times)

LanceChurchill1

"Tomorrow" song
« on: January 18, 2012, 08:09:33 PM »
Was there ever any explanation as to why the "Tomorrow" song was eliminated entirely either by Fred himself saying so on the show or from somewhere else?  I had never heard this ending until I bought the 20 pre-1979 episodes on DVD from amazon.com and frankly I like it better than "It's Such A Good Feeling", no offense.  Even if Fred had ended the shows with "Catch ya later!", I'd still like him just as much LOL!  Also, why did he change from saying "I'll be back tomorrow" to "I'll be back next time"?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 09:15:23 PM by TL »

Paul

• Westwood Neighbor
Re: "Tomorrow" song
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 08:35:54 PM »
Quite a few of the other early songs were replaced as well (I Like You As You Are with It's You I Like, Good People Sometimes Do Bad Things with Sometimes People Are Good, A Smile's the Style with It's the Style to Wear a Smile, etc.) Fred said this was due to copyright issues from when he sold away all the copyrights to the early Children's Corner songs before he knew what he was doing. He apparently had to pay money each time he used one of the songs! He decided it was easier and cheaper to just write new songs. He talks about this in the Archive of American Televison Interview (http://www.neighborhoodarchive.com/video/other/aat_interview/index.html).

earnhardtfan4life

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 11:02:41 PM »
There are a couple of different ways to answer your question.  If you think about it for a minute it's quite logical.  I haven't had much time to verify this, but if you were watching a "Friday" show it won't make sense for him to say "I'll be back tomorrow."  Especially during the pre79 years, I doubt that they ran MRN during weekends.  Unless the affiliate had a screwy schedule.  I faintly remember our PBS affiliate during the 1990s running MRN episodes during the 5:30 pm or 6:00 pm hours during the week, in addition to the morning and afternoon runs of the program.  I distinctly remember watching the Potato Bugs opera around the early evening time during the 1990s.  It could have been the fact that PBS affiliates were running the program multiple times a day in which he decided it to end the program with "I'll be back next time."  In 1976, when he believed he was originally through with the program, it probably made sense to end it with I'll be back next time.  Also, I think it was in the early 80s or late 70s when he went to Congress over the battle of VCRs.  He was a strong advocate for VCRs and it probably made sense to end the program with "I'll be back next time" if someone is watching the episodes out of sequence (say for instance if someone recorded a Wednesday show and is actually going to watch it on Saturday).

If the soundtrack was done by an orchestra; I would agree with you that "Tomorrow" sounds better.  It has a more "finale" snap to it.  I actually prefer Johnny Costa's - It's Such a Good Feeling in terms for piano solo.       

Lady_Elaine

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 02:47:40 PM »
Was there ever any explanation as to why the "Tomorrow" song was eliminated entirely either by Fred himself saying so on the show or from somewhere else?  I had never heard this ending until I bought the 20 pre-1979 episodes on DVD from amazon.com and frankly I like it better than "It's Such A Good Feeling", no offense.  Even if Fred had ended the shows with "Catch ya later!", I'd still like him just as much LOL!  Also, why did he change from saying "I'll be back tomorrow" to "I'll be back next time"?

Fred always sang the "Tomorrow" song at the end of the Monday-Thursday shows from 1968-1972, and only sang the Weekend Song on Fridays.. Episode 1260, from 1972, is the last episode of the series where the "Tomorrow" song was the closing song from Monday-Thursday. It was also the last season to use "The Weekend Song" which was sung only on Fridays until this episode. Episode 1261, from 1973, is the first show where Fred started singing the "Good Feeling Song" at the end of each show which replaced the "Tomorrow" song from the earlier shows. This continued right up until the show ended in 2001. As has been mentioned on this forum before, the last time shows with the "Tomorrow" song were shown on PBS was in 1991 I believe, while many of the later pre-79 shows aired on PBS up until 1995.

ladyelainefairchilde

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 05:30:41 PM »
Fred sings the "Tomorrow" song on all M-F shows from 1968-1970. It was in 1971 he would sing it on the M-T shows only. Friday shows starting with 1135 he introduced the "weekend" song to his viewers. On every Friday show through 1195 he would sing that. There may have been one or two Friday shows from 1972 that use the "weekend" song from very first few earlier shows from 1972. Alot of alternating back and forth between "Tomorrow" song and "Good Feeling" song that particular season. Their was an episode where he mentions we have not sang the "Tomorrow" song in awhile so lets sang that together. This may have been the last show to use that song from that season. I don't recall hearing the "Tomorrow" on shows 1246-1260. By then It was "Good Feeling" as the closing song on all of those M-F shows. 4 yrs later "Tomorrow" song was heard on 1459 from 1976. Preparing viewers for earlier shows the following week that use that song as the closing.

lef 8) ;D
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 06:09:26 PM by ladyelainefairchilde »

ladyelainefairchilde

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 06:39:10 PM »
Was there ever any explanation as to why the "Tomorrow" song was eliminated entirely either by Fred himself saying so on the show or from somewhere else?  I had never heard this ending until I bought the 20 pre-1979 episodes on DVD from amazon.com and frankly I like it better than "It's Such A Good Feeling", no offense.  Even if Fred had ended the shows with "Catch ya later!", I'd still like him just as much LOL!  Also, why did he change from saying "I'll be back tomorrow" to "I'll be back next time"?

Fred always sang the "Tomorrow" song at the end of the Monday-Thursday shows from 1968-1972, and only sang the Weekend Song on Fridays.. Episode 1260, from 1972, is the last episode of the series where the "Tomorrow" song was the closing song from Monday-Thursday. It was also the last season to use "The Weekend Song" which was sung only on Fridays until this episode. Episode 1261, from 1973, is the first show where Fred started singing the "Good Feeling Song" at the end of each show which replaced the "Tomorrow" song from the earlier shows. This continued right up until the show ended in 2001. As has been mentioned on this forum before, the last time shows with the "Tomorrow" song were shown on PBS was in 1991 I believe, while many of the later pre-79 shows aired on PBS up until 1995.

I just wanted to mention #1244 was the last time "Tomorrow" song was heard as the closing from the 1972 season. Having last been rebroadcast on PBS June 6, 1991. "Good Feeling" song use the lyrics "I'll be back when tomorrow is new" instead of day for a short time.

lef  ;D 8)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 06:59:22 PM by ladyelainefairchilde »

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 06:16:10 PM »
There are a couple of different ways to answer your question.  If you think about it for a minute it's quite logical.  I haven't had much time to verify this, but if you were watching a "Friday" show it won't make sense for him to say "I'll be back tomorrow."  Especially during the pre79 years, I doubt that they ran MRN during weekends.  Unless the affiliate had a screwy schedule.  I faintly remember our PBS affiliate during the 1990s running MRN episodes during the 5:30 pm or 6:00 pm hours during the week, in addition to the morning and afternoon runs of the program.  I distinctly remember watching the Potato Bugs opera around the early evening time during the 1990s.     

The last national airing of the Potato Bug opera was Oct. 2, 1987.  If you remember seeing it during the 90s, it was definitely in a timeslot that aired something other than the national episode.

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 06:18:19 PM »
Was there ever any explanation as to why the "Tomorrow" song was eliminated entirely either by Fred himself saying so on the show or from somewhere else?  I had never heard this ending until I bought the 20 pre-1979 episodes on DVD from amazon.com and frankly I like it better than "It's Such A Good Feeling", no offense.  Even if Fred had ended the shows with "Catch ya later!", I'd still like him just as much LOL!  Also, why did he change from saying "I'll be back tomorrow" to "I'll be back next time"?

Fred always sang the "Tomorrow" song at the end of the Monday-Thursday shows from 1968-1972, and only sang the Weekend Song on Fridays.. Episode 1260, from 1972, is the last episode of the series where the "Tomorrow" song was the closing song from Monday-Thursday.

Episode 1260 was a Friday episode, so it definitely didn't have the Tomorrow song.

It was also the last season to use "The Weekend Song" which was sung only on Fridays until this episode. Episode 1261, from 1973, is the first show where Fred started singing the "Good Feeling Song" at the end of each show which replaced the "Tomorrow" song from the earlier shows. This continued right up until the show ended in 2001. As has been mentioned on this forum before, the last time shows with the "Tomorrow" song were shown on PBS was in 1991 I believe, while many of the later pre-79 shows aired on PBS up until 1995.

The list of songs for each episode is of questionable accuracy, but I'm pretty sure Good Feeling was used as a closing song earlier than 1261.

Neighborhood Archive

• Administrator
  • Make-Believe Neighbor
    • The Neighborhood Archive
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 07:38:45 PM »
I can assure you than any information on the Archive site is accurate. Nothing is added to the site without being verified first-hand by me. This is the exact reason why I chose to go with a website like I have versus a wiki format that anyone could edit -- for the sake of presenting accurate information. On wikipedia and TV.com, anyone can submit what they feel is accurate. But like I said, nothing is posted on the Archive site without being verified for accuracy first.

With that in mind, I don't yet know the first episode that Good Feeling was sung in, but I can tell you with complete certainty that it closes episodes prior to 1261.

http://www.neighborhoodarchive.com/music/songs/its_such_a_good_feeling.html

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 08:33:12 PM »
I can assure you than any information on the Archive site is accurate. Nothing is added to the site without being verified first-hand by me. This is the exact reason why I chose to go with a website like I have versus a wiki format that anyone could edit -- for the sake of presenting accurate information. On wikipedia and TV.com, anyone can submit what they feel is accurate. But like I said, nothing is posted on the Archive site without being verified for accuracy first.

With that in mind, I don't yet know the first episode that Good Feeling was sung in, but I can tell you with complete certainty that it closes episodes prior to 1261.

http://www.neighborhoodarchive.com/music/songs/its_such_a_good_feeling.html

I wasn't saying that your information is of questionable accuracy.  You don't even list any songs for the episodes in question, since you probably haven't seen them.  What I meant was, there was another message board which had a list of info about every episode, including songs, and it is known to have errors.  Sorry about any confusion.

mjb1124

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 12:46:27 AM »
The episode guides in question can be found in the "Files" section of the Yahoo! group The Mister Rogers Society (you need to join to see them).   I believe these are compiled from the University of Pittsburgh Library's data.   You would think that would be an authoritative source, but alas, a lot of the episodes falsely mention or fail to mention specific songs that are sung, including closing songs.

If the Mister Rogers Society guides are any indication, "Good Feeling" was first used as a closing on episode 1205, and became permanent as of episode 1245.   The Archive does confirm the song's presence on the latter episode, and subsequently on episode 1250.    And it also confirms that there was a transitional period, as 1215, 1235, and 1236 list "Good Feeling" while 1216 lists "Tomorrow", all of which are consistent with the Mister Rogers Society listings.   What seems really suspect about the Mister Rogers Society files is that "The Weekend Song" is listed (without "Good Feeling") on two non-Friday episodes (1221 and 1243), and there's also a few that have none of the traditional closing songs listed.

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 11:13:07 AM »
The episode guides in question can be found in the "Files" section of the Yahoo! group The Mister Rogers Society (you need to join to see them).   I believe these are compiled from the University of Pittsburgh Library's data.   You would think that would be an authoritative source, but alas, a lot of the episodes falsely mention or fail to mention specific songs that are sung, including closing songs.

If the Mister Rogers Society guides are any indication, "Good Feeling" was first used as a closing on episode 1205, and became permanent as of episode 1245.   The Archive does confirm the song's presence on the latter episode, and subsequently on episode 1250.    And it also confirms that there was a transitional period, as 1215, 1235, and 1236 list "Good Feeling" while 1216 lists "Tomorrow", all of which are consistent with the Mister Rogers Society listings.   What seems really suspect about the Mister Rogers Society files is that "The Weekend Song" is listed (without "Good Feeling") on two non-Friday episodes (1221 and 1243), and there's also a few that have none of the traditional closing songs listed.

The other strange thing about 1221 is that it is listed in between 1204 and 1205.  It also has a 1971 copyright date for 1196-1204 and 1221, but a 1972 copyright date for 1205-1279 (except 1221).  That lead us to think that the episodes may have possibly been listed in the wrong order and with the wrong episode number.

Also, 1196 has both Good Feeling and Tomorrow listed.  I wonder if maybe both were used as the closing song in that episode to introduce kids to using Good Feeling as a closing song.  Or if it wwas the old Good Feeling song, used for the only time in 1972.

KSiteTV

• New to the Neighborhood
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2017, 09:37:44 PM »
I thought it was interesting during the marathon that "Tomorrow" was sung for the very last time during that final week of episodes in 1976 before the hiatus/break. A nice way to look to the past while going to the future... I didn't realize it was a thing until the Twitch marathon, but of course the Archive already makes note of it.