Author Topic: Episode 5 Irregularities  (Read 8174 times)

earnhardtfan4life

• Make-Believe Neighbor
Episode 5 Irregularities
« on: November 08, 2011, 06:03:29 PM »
1.  Wearing a regular tie this time - no clip on microphone
2.  Stoplight is back to near couch as well as telecan.
3.  Lady Aberlin attempts to climb through window
4.  Boom mic is shown during Fred/Betty sequence
5.  Fred proclaims that Betty Aberlin is now known as Lady Aberlin.
6.  Fred must have lost his balance with his arm as X-the-owl all of a sudden falls down.
7.  Another issue with the stop sign:  Stop sign shown at the beginning of show but by the end of the show no stop sign at all.

Degeneration X The Owl

• Westwood Neighbor
Re: Episode 5 Irregularities
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 09:36:13 PM »
Get the time codes on those

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 11:59:42 AM »

Actually, the name Lady Aberlin was also used in Episode 2, but not consistently.  It seems the names "Betty" and "Lady Aberlin" were used interchangeably back then.  In the assasination special, Daniel addresses her as "Betty".

On the topic of Daniel and Lady Aberlin: when was their first ugga mugga?  They ugga muggaed in the Assasination Special, but I doubt that was the first time.

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 12:21:08 AM »

Actually, the name Lady Aberlin was also used in Episode 2, but not consistently.  It seems the names "Betty" and "Lady Aberlin" were used interchangeably back then.  In the assasination special, Daniel addresses her as "Betty".

Actually, I re-read what I had posted (on another board) about the assasination special at the time I had seen it.  In the assasination special, she was referred to as "Lady Aberlin".  The only time the name "Betty" was used was when she and Daniel were playing peek-a-boo, and Daniel said "where's Betty" as part of the game.  Daniel (and the other characters) otherwise refer to her as Lady Aberlin in that episode.

Another inconsistency is that King Friday appears to be Lady Aberlin's great uncle in the early episodes, but her uncle for most of the series.

Neighborhood Archive

• Administrator
  • Make-Believe Neighbor
    • The Neighborhood Archive
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 09:20:28 AM »
The names "Betty" and "Lady Aberlin" were interchangeable because Lady Aberlin's first name is Betty. This is mentioned a few times -- if I remember right, in the episode where they discuss the royal "family tree" and mention various uncles, aunts, and cousins.

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 11:13:02 AM »
The names "Betty" and "Lady Aberlin" were interchangeable because Lady Aberlin's first name is Betty. This is mentioned a few times -- if I remember right, in the episode where they discuss the royal "family tree" and mention various uncles, aunts, and cousins.

Although, after 1968, the name "Betty" was rarely, if ever, used in the NOM.  Even King Friday addressed her as "Niece Aberlin", as if "Aberlin" were her first name.

Also, there is the inconsistency where King Friday is her great uncle in the 1968 season, but then her uncle later on.  It seems unlikely that he would be her great uncle, given that Lady Aberlin was an adult before Prince Tuesday was even born.  Maybe that was why they changed.

Neighborhood Archive

• Administrator
  • Make-Believe Neighbor
    • The Neighborhood Archive
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 07:52:13 PM »
It's Episode 1698 where it is clearly stated that Lady Aberlin's first name is Betty. In fact, she specifies to King Friday that her name is "Lady Betty Kay Aberlin."

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 11:09:54 PM »
It's Episode 1698 where it is clearly stated that Lady Aberlin's first name is Betty. In fact, she specifies to King Friday that her name is "Lady Betty Kay Aberlin."

I'm not denying that her first name in the NOM was Betty.  What I mean is, the name Betty was almost never used (almost, meaning I'm not saying it was never used, just that it was rarely used) after 1968.  But in 1968, it was used a lot.  I'm surprised that her real name would be used in the NOM.

On another note, I read somewhere (probably mentioned in an episode) that King Friday's sister (and Lady Aberlin's mother) was Claire Friday-Aberlin.  That could be.  But that is another inconsistency, since Friday seems to be the king's first name, not last name.  Queen Sara addresses him as "Friday".  And, Prince Tuesday has the name Tuesday, not Friday, again implying that Friday is a first name, not a last name.

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 12:13:53 PM »
Another thing interesting about this episode, though I admit I'm probably looking much too deeply into it.  Lady Aberlin mentions that she asked King Friday for a day off.  The original airdate of this episode was Friday, Feb. 23, 1968.  At the time, the previous day, Thursday, Feb. 22, was a holiday, Washington's Birthday.  The law that moved several holidays to Mondays was passed later in 1968 (and took effect in 1971).

Holidays that fall on Tuesday and Thursday tend to be awkward.  For some people, they can be a 4 day weekend, but for others, they involve an isolated, usually useless day of work (Friday, Feb. 23 in this case) that ruins the long weekend.  From the point of view of employers, that isolated day is a somewhat wasted day, since much less work would get done than on a regular weekday.  This was partially why several holidays were moved to Mondays.

I wasn't alive then, so I don't know if the possibility of moving holidays to Mondays was a major topic in the news at the time of this episode.  It's possible, since 1968 had a lot of holidays fall on Thursday (3 federal holidays in a row).  Maybe Fred had Lady Aberlin ask for a day off on Friday, Feb. 23 as a message that maybe these holidays should be moved to Mondays to avoid this awkward situation.

I know, I'm probably looking way too deeply into it.

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 11:03:34 PM »
On the topic of Daniel and Lady Aberlin: when was their first ugga mugga?  They ugga muggaed in the Assasination Special, but I doubt that was the first time.

Tim answered that question today: their first ugga mugga was in Episode 36.

PurplePanda

• New to the Neighborhood
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 07:01:46 PM »
Mister Rogers forgot to change out of his sneakers at the end of this episode.

bka

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2012, 01:44:39 PM »
well I never became a household name :0)  & I am often introduced as Lady Elaine, also Lady Everly, Lady Aberdeen, Lady Evelyn.....can't remember all the variations, and it wouldn't be seemly of Friday's Niece to correct the person introducing me. quite the quandry over the years. and refused to merge with Lady Elaine - didn't think it would behoove either of us to become one entity.

JCostaThePro

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2013, 10:58:17 PM »
And of course, here's an irregularity that applies to the whole week: John Costa playing a baby-ish celesta version of the outro music over the credits. Quite an odd start-off for someone who's apparently known for the fact he "never played baby music on the show." Why he began like this is a mystery.

JCostaThePro

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2013, 07:45:57 PM »
well I never became a household name :0)  & I am often introduced as Lady Elaine, also Lady Everly, Lady Aberdeen, Lady Evelyn.....can't remember all the variations, and it wouldn't be seemly of Friday's Niece to correct the person introducing me. quite the quandry over the years. and refused to merge with Lady Elaine - didn't think it would behoove either of us to become one entity.

Betty, i know you don't quite post on here alot as much as you used to, but your comment reminds me: when i was a little boy, i remember i used to call you "Lady Averlin." I used to keep calling you that... until i read the closing credits and saw you have a b in your name. Oops. Well, i guess alot of kids call you and some of the other neighbors different names. I also (just vaguley) remember somehow always calling Bob Dog "Dog Dog."

Regarding ugga-muggas: I also remember when i was little i had a teacher, a sweet young lady, who showed me "ugga-mugga" and told me what it meant. I'm not sure if you agree with this theory (and it's okay if you don't, really), but she told me that "ugga-mugga" is actually the way the Eskimos express their love to their loved-ones. Like a kiss, only by rubbing noses. It's interesting that Show 36 marked the first time you and Daniel ugga-mugga-ed together. Judging from Tim's description of the episode, it doesn't sound like you mentioned anything about the Eskimos. Maybe they didn't do it back then?

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2013, 09:13:26 PM »
I have no idea if Eskimos were the inspiration for ugga muggas.  But I do know that Betty wanted to do ugga muggas from the beginning, but for some reason, Fred objected to the idea, but later (I guess after only 8 weeks) changed his mind.  I wonder why Fred objected to ugga muggas at first, and how exactly did Betty change Fred's mind.