Author Topic: Did He Turn Down any Network Offers?  (Read 2694 times)

earnhardtfan4life

• Make-Believe Neighbor
Did He Turn Down any Network Offers?
« on: June 05, 2011, 10:40:39 AM »
I wonder if the diehard MRN fans know the answer to this question.  Did Fred ever turn down any offers to go to another network?  I have often times wondered with his NBC connections if he ever would have taken his show nationally on NBC.  He probably would have been even more popular than he was if he had gone to another network.

Mike 

Neighborhood Archive

• Administrator
  • Make-Believe Neighbor
    • The Neighborhood Archive
Re: Did He Turn Down any Network Offers?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 01:28:27 PM »
From the LOOK magazine article that I shared a few days ago:

Fred Rogers hasn't seriously considered a shift to the more profitable commercial networks: "I'm afraid my stipulations would be too great. When you do what you know you should be doing, being famous isn't important anymore."

galenfott

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 04:29:08 PM »
I can't imagine his show with commercials, or NBC allowing him to do it without them.

"Let's visit the Neighborhood of Make-Believe...right after this message from Charmin Bathroom Tissue!"

Eric S

• Westwood Neighbor
    • The ol' sketchbook
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 11:06:18 PM »
The Children's Corner was on NBC for a time, on Saturdays I believe. They received some flack from the network for the song "Goodnight God" but apparently told NBC that they wouldn't continue if they were asked to censor the song.

Fred also told the story about the one commercial he did, where King Friday advertised some sort of Berry Cookie (It's Berry Berry Good), and that he didn't really want to do it but since it was King Friday instead of his face he did. And of course back in those days the host or talent did the commercials themselves, it wasn't something that was filmed elsewhere and dropped in.