Author Topic: Have Times Changed?  (Read 4348 times)

earnhardtfan4life

• Make-Believe Neighbor
Have Times Changed?
« on: September 07, 2011, 10:24:49 PM »
I was reading various sources today about Mister Rogers Neighborhood and came across an interesting post:

"I screened a few episodes of Rogers for my 4 year old daughter. I actually found it highly inappropriate for a modern viewer. Rogers came around in an era where parents were less attentive and the world was a scarier place for kids. I don't think kids today need yet another person telling them they are special. Everyone tells them that these days. Back then, probably not.
We stumbled on the divorce episode as well and it was really odd. In fact, a lot of the acting and situation are odd and extremely awkward. I'm all for calm time for the kids, but I would rather show my child very little exciting entertainment than more entertainment that is calm. There's plenty of time for soothing experiences off of the TV."

Do you think that times have changed to the point where there might be a reasoning behind the development of an almost all-animation show?  And maybe the reasoning for the absence of central "male" character on the show.

Wicked knife and fork

• Southwood Neighbor
Re: Have Times Changed?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 08:44:27 AM »
Thanks for sharing this. I wonder what was meant by the "acting and situations were odd and awkward" comment. I did enjoy the "Divorce" week, as it wasn't afraid to address a tough topic. I remember the story line in make believe about Prince Tuesday...he was afraid his parents would get a divorce. When the lady came to sell the family a "Planecar," Lady Elaine said "who's that? is that the girlfriend?" I really enjoyed how this week was a little "on the edge" as it made it more entertaining than some of the later episodes in the 1990's that seemed more tame.

Maybe the new Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood will be something that today's kids relate to. I'm anxious to see what it will be like. 

MIKEBENNIDICT

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 07:06:26 PM »
I was reading various sources today about Mister Rogers Neighborhood and came across an interesting post:

"I screened a few episodes of Rogers for my 4 year old daughter. I actually found it highly inappropriate for a modern viewer. Rogers came around in an era where parents were less attentive and the world was a scarier place for kids. I don't think kids today need yet another person telling them they are special. Everyone tells them that these days. Back then, probably not.
We stumbled on the divorce episode as well and it was really odd. In fact, a lot of the acting and situation are odd and extremely awkward. I'm all for calm time for the kids, but I would rather show my child very little exciting entertainment than more entertainment that is calm. There's plenty of time for soothing experiences off of the TV."

Do you think that times have changed to the point where there might be a reasoning behind the development of an almost all-animation show?  And maybe the reasoning for the absence of central "male" character on the show.

I'm sure back then  there have always been people, including parents and grandparents who have said to kids they are special and a some might of even thought it was goofy to have soeone of the TV telling kids the same thing so I think you're wrong for how you feel. If you enjoyed Mr. Rogers then, than there's no reaswon why your daughter can't today.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 07:08:04 PM by MIKEBENNIDICT »

bka

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 09:20:40 PM »
entertainment and validation of the unique worth of one singular child....albeit from a t.v. screen....are two different aims, requiring two different approaches, imho. Sesame Street made sure the parents were as entertained as the children.  We focused primarily on what Gabby Hayes had called "one buckaroo."

setlori

• New to the Neighborhood
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 06:22:46 PM »
This issue is close to my heart, because when I see how much good MRN has done for my three-year-olds in just the year they've been watching it, I want to scream, "How can people say this is irrelevant?!"

People so closely associate Mr. Rogers with his "You are special" that they tend to forget that it was just one piece of what made his show so important. They also tend to misunderstand what he meant by that. "You are special" does not mean that you are better than everyone else or entitled to the best things in life. It means that the unique qualities that make you who you are are important, and conversely the things that make people different than you make them special, so everyone should be valued. You shouldn't have to reinvent who you are as a person to be who you think people want you to be. You're special just the way you are. Who doesn't want their kids to know (and believe) that?

I also think that MRN gave young children a dignity that few, if any other shows have. My children have always had a fear of the doctor and, try as I might, I couldn't explain things to them in a way that would calm them. As their three-year checkup was approaching, I decided we should watch the episode of Mr. Rogers when he goes to the pediatrician. I told the kids they would be going for their checkup soon, which got them a little riled, but I suggested they watch the little girl's checkup and see how hers went. That segment is everything today's kids TV avoids - it was slow-paced, with very little action and a lot of talking. They didn't skip over any of the awkward parts of the checkup, instead explaining everything in real time. We watched it a few times over the next couple of weeks until the kids knew everything that was going to happen before it happened. When it came time for their checkup, there were no tears. One of my sons even said to his doctor, "That's just like Dr. Breck!" It was like a miracle. This is just one example of the many times I've used MRN to teach my kids more about something they were interested in (elevators, tap dancing, graham crackers...) or to help prepare them for something. You should see the look on people's faces when a bus or truck stops and one of my kids nonchalantly says, "Airbrakes." People say, "Kids today are different", as if they were just born that way. We make them different with the things we choose to expose them to and the environments we put them in.
Lori

bka

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 10:13:10 AM »
amen, setiori!

Jazzman67

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 05:15:08 AM »

Paul

• Westwood Neighbor