Author Topic: The MRN parodies  (Read 3507 times)

MysteryNeighbor

• Southwood Neighbor
The MRN parodies
« on: May 31, 2011, 08:46:03 PM »
There were many parodies over the years about Fred and his show. Why was he so easy to parody? ???

The best known were the Saturday Night Live (SNL) in the early-1980s featuring Eddie Murphy starring as Mister Robinson.Now what about those parodies that are of questionable taste?

earnhardtfan4life

• Make-Believe Neighbor
Re: The MRN parodies
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 08:56:13 PM »
During the pre-79 era his slow speech was very easy to make fun of.  Also the very elementary way he spoke through the camera was easy to make fun of too.

Mike

Eric S

• Westwood Neighbor
    • The ol' sketchbook
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 10:42:15 AM »
I remember reading a blurb in an article about Fred's feelings about these parodies. Can't remember the magazine, and I don't remember if this was just the teaser for a more indepth article which I didn't get to read, or fit this was the full extent of their exploration of this subject. It went something like this:

.... his feelings about being parodied by SNL and the like, ("Nobody likes to be made fun of").

The implication in that one sentence was that Fred really didn't like being the butt of these jokes, which is perfectly understandable. However, that line always stuck with me, and I remember years later being surprised to hear Fred address the issue in interviews, and say he looked at it as a form of flattery. Johnny Carson apparently told him that they wouldn't do parodies of Fred if they didn't like him, and someone else told him that they were making him famous by lampooning him. In hearing Fred talk about it, I wasn't wholly convinced that he wasn't bothered by the parodies, only that he maybe grew a thicker skin to it, and perhaps thought it more politically saavy to laugh along with everyone.

Neighborhood Archive

• Administrator
  • Make-Believe Neighbor
    • The Neighborhood Archive
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 02:28:43 PM »
Just added some screen shots from the 1993 parody done on In Living Color.

http://www.neighborhoodarchive.com/misc/parodies/in_living_color/index.html

Neighborhood Archive

• Administrator
  • Make-Believe Neighbor
    • The Neighborhood Archive
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 04:13:04 PM »
Here's a link to watch the Johnny Carson parody...

http://youtu.be/YzAZAUU7NYI