Author Topic: Location of Old Props/Sets  (Read 3381 times)

earnhardtfan4life

• Make-Believe Neighbor
Location of Old Props/Sets
« on: August 08, 2011, 08:47:17 AM »
I was looking at the photos of Episode 1402 and had forgotten the elaborate set design of Westwood.  Does anyone know what happend to a lot of these sets?  I imagine Brocketts Bakery stuff was probably stuff that they got on loan from somewhere.  Probably the same goes with Negri's music shop.  You really have to have an appreciation for all the hard work that was involved in making these pre-79 episodes.  If someone stumbled upon a lot of this stuff in storage somewhere in Pittsburgh it would be like a kid going to a candy store.  I have to wonder if they still exist somewhere. 

Mike

OperaLover

• Westwood Neighbor
Re: Location of Old Props/Sets
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 01:42:06 PM »
If you visit the Fred Rogers Center, you'll see that Fred had a sense very early on that things were to be preserved.
His composition books are on display, his earliest writings, his music books, so much is saved, that you'd think would have been discarded years ago.
There are boxes and boxes of viewer fan mail, with dates showing the range when they were received, on the cartons.
You can bet that most anything worth saving, WAS!
Yes, certain bits may have been lost along the way, but I have a feeling those archives hold more of a treasure trove than we can imagine.

NeighborC

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 10:31:31 PM »
I've wondered this too. If you think of the NMB interiors as well (such as X's tree, and the Museum Go Round) there were a lot of different sets and props.

Paul

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 09:54:13 AM »
All those sets are so detailed and fun, I've wondered where they are for a long time. I wonder also what happened to the opera sets and costumes... Maybe someday someone could start a museum and have all the sets set up. I think we should start a list of all the props, sets, costumes, etc, and where they are now.

OperaLover

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 10:11:23 AM »
I think Lady Elaine's hummingbird costume was really nice.
There are so many things in the archives at the FRC, maybe it will come out of a box one day and be on display.
They really should have the puppet costumes in a display of their own. It would be so lovely.
Daniel's original clock is in the main display. You can't touch it or trolley because they are encased in glass.
A portion of King Friday's castle is downstairs in the archive section, not on display, but you can see it through a few peek-a-boo windows.
I have seen more puppets through those windows, too.
I hope they bring them out one day and pull more gems out of the many boxes.