Author Topic: MRN on non PBS Cable Stations?  (Read 3074 times)

Eric S

• Westwood Neighbor
    • The ol' sketchbook
MRN on non PBS Cable Stations?
« on: August 07, 2011, 01:46:02 PM »
What would you all think if the Classic MRN being moved to non PBS Stations like Sprout or Hub or whatever? I'm sure there are other stations that are out there, these just happen to be the ones I know of. I wonder if that's ever been discussed seriously within FCI. I would assume that there are concerns about having Commercials, but other than that, I can think of no good reason why some station wouldn't jump at the chance to air MRN. As such an established show, wouldn't it have at least some guarantee of a built in audience? Or am I totally naive here? Are cartoons and the other alternatives easily more appealing and much cheaper to air than MRN?

Degeneration X The Owl

• Westwood Neighbor
Re: MRN on non PBS Cable Stations?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 01:50:16 PM »
Sprout is, I think, PBS

bka

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 09:05:27 PM »
I think that's a great idea. But I believe, for all their protestations to the contrary, that management has no serious interest in fighting for the life of the program - they are interested in their new ventures. With the exception of David Newell, none of the current suits were around from the beginning, and are not lumbered by a kind of reverence for the precious nature of the original. They are not artists, as Fred, Johnny Costa, and many of the performers were (and are). They are business people.

OperaLover

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 09:43:20 PM »
It seems so impossible that the people in charge, ARE the people in charge...

Paul

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 10:55:08 AM »
I think that's a great idea. But I believe, for all their protestations to the contrary, that management has no serious interest in fighting for the life of the program - they are interested in their new ventures. With the exception of David Newell, none of the current suits were around from the beginning, and are not lumbered by a kind of reverence for the precious nature of the original. They are not artists, as Fred, Johnny Costa, and many of the performers were (and are). They are business people.

How true and how sad. Thank you bka for helping the legacy, at least, to live on.

Sesameguy

• New to the Neighborhood
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 09:59:30 PM »
I am just thankful that at least they are releasing some of the classic episodes in some form. I won't completely dismiss the idea that we may someday see those episodes presented again - if not on TV or online, then perhaps in some other form. The current MRN management may not be keen on the idea, but who knows what the future may hold? My only hope is that we'll be around to see it. :)