Author Topic: First Video Clips DTN  (Read 6103 times)

earnhardtfan4life

• Make-Believe Neighbor
First Video Clips DTN
« on: August 02, 2011, 08:49:27 AM »
Hardcore MRN fans are probably going to be upset, but here are the first video snippets of DTN.  It has a real Disney flair to it.  I guess you have to keep in mind this is for the new generation. 

http://vimeo.com/20547089
http://vimeo.com/20545180

Mike

earnhardtfan4life

• Make-Believe Neighbor
Re: First Video Clips DTN
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 08:55:22 AM »
In some ways it goes against what Fred talked about - remember his famous line "bombardment" of flashy animation.  I think he was referring to either Electric Company or Sesame Street.  Like I said before this is the new generation. 

Mike

OperaLover

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 09:07:55 AM »
By bombardment television, he was specifically referring to having seen children's programming with PIES being thrown in the face.

I think these clips were very cute, but I was not impressed with the 4 note melodies.
It could have been a perfect and easy opportunity to use Fred's own birthday song.

I still hope for more of the sound of that music to be used.
I would not have minded a new arrangement, but at least the melody and some piano and jazz riffs.

OperaLover

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 09:14:57 AM »
I find this clip to be quite lovely and artistically, brilliant!
No sound. Hope when it comes up with audio, it does not detract from the goodness of the visual.
http://vimeo.com/20543837

earnhardtfan4life

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 09:15:03 AM »
The problem is we all want it to be written in (as Betty Aberlin puts it) "Freddish" but it isn't.  I can understand why the PBS officials went silent when asked if they would air both MRN and DTN together.

Mike

earnhardtfan4life

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 09:52:18 AM »
I will admit that some of the animation is rather nice.  Although X the owl's sibling looks a bit sloppy.  I guess my problem is - is that after watching 50 years of Fred's work and see this - it's a real slap in the face.  Pardon me for being that blunt about it.   But, it's the truth.  Ever since Jim Henson and the songwriter Joe Raposo died, Sesame Street has never been the same since.  If you sit down and think about all the MRN programs together and then watch that, it's quite a comedown.

Mike   

Degeneration X The Owl

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 12:15:26 PM »
I got nothing.  They took it down.  :(
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 12:19:25 PM by Degeneration X The Owl »

Eric S

• Westwood Neighbor
    • The ol' sketchbook
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 03:04:44 PM »
I think Fred's low opinion of Flashy Animation was more about the content than the medium. From the 60's through the 70's animation on TV was generally crude, material that had previously been theatrical filler for adults, just repackaged for television. It was all gags and jokes, no educational or moral value even. Even as new animation for TV was done in the 70's and through the 80's it was rarely focused on more than selling merchandise. Say what you will about the current state of PBS kids, but they have provided a lot of educational animation. I don't think Fred would have any problem with the medium of this new show.

NeighborC

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 10:21:06 PM »
I haven't looked much at the PBS schedule these days, but why is al,ost everything animated now? It used to be all live action, then more and more became animated, until now just about everything is in the last five years. Not saying it's a bad thing, just wondering why this has become the norm.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 10:59:09 PM by NeighborC »

Eric S

• Westwood Neighbor
    • The ol' sketchbook
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 11:05:43 AM »
If I can be a bit cynical answering your question Earnhardtfan- I'd say animated programs generate better selling merchandise than live ones. There are probably still producers, creators, etc... pitching live shows, but they might not be picked up with as great a frequency as the animated stuff. Though in our area I've been impressed to see a few live shows, (Mustard Pancakes comes to mind).